Thread: Craigslist

I need a new job
    Post Thanks / Like

Craigslist

Am I allowed to post the link to a craigslist ad I found? I frequently check the local sites to see who is advertising this way......and who can spell. This ad I am speaking of, the guy actually boasts not using a clay bar or buffer yet is advertising a "Full Out Detail." Maybe it`s just me but the ad just makes me laugh.
    2003 Mazda 6i Steel Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Craigslist

Quote Originally Posted by max080 View Post
    Am I allowed to post the link to a craigslist ad I found? I frequently check the local sites to see who is advertising this way......and who can spell. This ad I am speaking of, the guy actually boasts not using a clay bar or buffer yet is advertising a "Full Out Detail." Maybe it`s just me but the ad just makes me laugh.
    That`s no problem as long as they are not selling a competitive product to one of our sponsors...I enjoy reading those ad`s

I read one some time back on CL that said he was using a special buffer that spun at 24K RPM...Sounds like you could get lift off with that thing
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

clone

there will always be hacks out there. thank god 4 them, it will only make my work look better.plus you don`t know the guys full story maybe he is one ofthe unfortunant. who have lost there regular job and he is doing all he can 2 put food on the table 4 his family.maybe what you ought to do is reach out to him and tell him about unless you are afraid of the competition? i here alot of you talk of this craiglist? i`m going 2 check it out and see if there is maybe someone i may help. now feel free 2 make fun of my spelling i am a detaler, not an english professor.

clone

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    That`s no problem as long as they are not selling a competitive product to one of our sponsors...I enjoy reading those ad`s

I read one some time back on CL that said he was using a special buffer that spun at 24K RPM...Sounds like you could get lift off with that thing

I need a new job
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clone View Post
    plus you don`t know the guys full story maybe he is one of the unfortunant. who have lost there regular job and he is doing all he can 2 put food on the table 4 his family.
    Point well taken and you are right, that could be his reason and I am in no position to criticize. Hopefully it`s not his reason and he`s just a hack. But in the event that he is doing this to get by, I removed the link.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, several professional detailers get along just fine without a buffer or even an orbital polisher.
    Frank Canna has been doing detailing by hand for years and Scottwax didn`t use any polisher or buffer until about 3 years ago.

Everyone got along without clay for a long time and I still very seldom use it. Of course my vehicles may look like it.

Charles

I need a new job
    Post Thanks / Like

Charles, I don`t disagree with any of the above. I was just referring to this specific ad that actually uses !!!!exclamations!!!! to refer to the services that he doesn`t offer. He was putting more emphasis on what he doesn`t do as opposed to what he does do. That`s all.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Charles, I don`t disagree with any of the above. I was just referring to this specific ad that actually uses !!!!exclamations!!!! to refer to the services that he doesn`t offer. He was putting more emphasis on what he doesn`t do as opposed to what he does do. That`s all.
    If my post came across as being critical, I apologize.
    My intent was only to point out that many of the things that have been put forth as necessary over the years, may not truly be as important as people make them out to be.
    Some examples:
    Micro fiber towels
    I think they are great and have somewhere between 50 and 100 of them. Got by with good cotton terry towels for a lot of years and didn`t have bad looking vehicles.
    Clay
    A necessity to some and a take it or leave it for me.
    Machine Polishers
    I have had a PC for close to 7 years and would really miss it, but I got along without one for a loooong time.
    Two Bucket Washing
    Another take it or leave it thing for me. I have always used a different bucket and mitt for the body than the one used for wheels and tires, but not necessarily as a rinse bucket for my wash media.
    Grit Guard
    Made a couple for the wash bucket I now use, but I`m still not sure it was worth the effort.
    Alcohol Wipe Down
    Never done one and if I felt I needed a Prep-Sol type of wipe down, I would use Prep-Sol.
    Blot Drying
    Tried it a few times and decided if my car was too dirty to just wipe dry, then I didn`t do a very good job of washing it. When I have had an extremely dirty vehicle, I have washed it, rinsed it and washed it again to be sure it was clean before drying. I personally feel the a large part of paint marring occurs during the drying process because the vehicle wasn`t clean when the drying was done.
    Waffle Weave MF Towels
    I use them only for windows. I see no benefit in drying with them when compared to a good terry weave towel. I should never have bought so many.
    Long Lasting Sealants
    I have and use several sealants with good results. Are they necessary? I don`t think so. A quality wax is going to last the 4 to 6 weeks between my applications. Something that is said to last 6 months is not something I need.
    Glazes
    I have used some and I have a couple on hand to try this spring, but I have never felt they were a necessity.
    Special Wheel Cleaners
    Whatever washes the rest of my vehicles seems to work great on my wheels. I do keep my wheel waxed/sealed and they are easy to clean. (No BMWs in my stable.)

Pretty long ramble for what started out as an apology, wasn`t it?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    If my post came across as being critical, I apologize.
    My intent was only to point out that many of the things that have been put forth as necessary over the years, may not truly be as important as people make them out to be.
    Some examples:
    Micro fiber towels
    I think they are great and have somewhere between 50 and 100 of them. Got by with good cotton terry towels for a lot of years and didn`t have bad looking vehicles.
    Clay
    A necessity to some and a take it or leave it for me.
    Machine Polishers
    I have had a PC for close to 7 years and would really miss it, but I got along without one for a loooong time.
    Two Bucket Washing
    Another take it or leave it thing for me. I have always used a different bucket and mitt for the body than the one used for wheels and tires, but not necessarily as a rinse bucket for my wash media.
    Grit Guard
    Made a couple for the wash bucket I now use, but I`m still not sure it was worth the effort.
    Alcohol Wipe Down
    Never done one and if I felt I needed a Prep-Sol type of wipe down, I would use Prep-Sol.
    Blot Drying
    Tried it a few times and decided if my car was too dirty to just wipe dry, then I didn`t do a very good job of washing it. When I have had an extremely dirty vehicle, I have washed it, rinsed it and washed it again to be sure it was clean before drying. I personally feel the a large part of paint marring occurs during the drying process because the vehicle wasn`t clean when the drying was done.
    Waffle Weave MF Towels
    I use them only for windows. I see no benefit in drying with them when compared to a good terry weave towel. I should never have bought so many.
    Long Lasting Sealants
    I have and use several sealants with good results. Are they necessary? I don`t think so. A quality wax is going to last the 4 to 6 weeks between my applications. Something that is said to last 6 months is not something I need.
    Glazes
    I have used some and I have a couple on hand to try this spring, but I have never felt they were a necessity.
    Special Wheel Cleaners
    Whatever washes the rest of my vehicles seems to work great on my wheels. I do keep my wheel waxed/sealed and they are easy to clean. (No BMWs in my stable.)

Pretty long ramble for what started out as an apology, wasn`t it?
    A lot of good points SIR CHARLES
    I do what I do, when I can do it...

Thread Information