Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving to PA

Post Thanks / Like

moving to PA

I`m taking the family and business north, I currently live in Charlotte NC one of the nations fastest growing citys and plan on moving to Reading PA. My concern is first selling the business in the times we are in, and second starting another one up. Right now my cup over flowith with business and I know it won`t right away up there, but hope I can set the market in a place that doesn`t really have a mobile detailing market. Any input will certainly be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: moving to PA

Sort of a risky time to be making that move IMO...have you done the demographics on the new area so that it can support a decent income for you?

If you have a real good business right now selling it won`t be that bad as selling one that is failing...That`s my take

I do think that making a major move like that in the given state of the US is risky!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

any major reason for the move? detailing in PA in the fall and winter is pretty slow and you probably won`t be able to be mobile either... PA as Beemer said is one of the hardest hit states in this economy ... I hope it`s worth the move
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t Do It.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    any major reason for the move? detailing in PA in the fall and winter is pretty slow and you probably won`t be able to be mobile either... PA as Beemer said is one of the hardest hit states in this economy ... I hope it`s worth the move
    I can`t agree with you more Steve and Beemer on the
    high risk of this situation. I am familiar with the Reading area and thing are very quiet out that way now. Most of the population are blue collar workers that are loosing their jobs. Detailing is definitely a luxury item and there are few upper class areas in that part of the state. If it was right outside Philadelphia it would be a different story. Those rural areas like Reading and Scranton have never fullly recovered from the mining era.
    Kurt

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 9D4E420 View Post
    Those rural areas like Reading and Scranton have never fullly recovered from the mining era.
    That and the loss of garment mfg to Asia and the south in the 70`s some of those towns are very depressed Easton comes to mind ...other than the Crayola factory, the rest of that town is pretty bad off ...Allentown (as Billy Joel sang) also shows the scars of the coal mines being gone
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It`s a risky move IMO with the way the economy is doing. It`s been very slow here also. Good luck.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with the others, this doesn`t sound like a wise decision, especially if business is good for you at this time.
    I don`t think that moving to the No. East moving into the fall/winter looking to start up detailing services is good timing either.

Good luck on whatever you choose
    "J"

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably more to the story

It isn`t real common to just pick up and move from North Carolina to Pennsylvania unless there is a very good reason.
    Chances are Southern Detail has some good reasons and has given the move some thought.

Good Luck with the move.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Probably more to the story

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    It isn`t real common to just pick up and move from North Carolina to Pennsylvania unless there is a very good reason.
    Chances are Southern Detail has some good reasons and has given the move some thought.

Good Luck with the move.
    I agree maybe he could have said something about that in his OP...would make it easier to understand or give advice

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

The reason is simply family, I am from MI and my wife is from PA. Long story short I moved to NC in 2001 she moved in 1998 we met by chance in 04 got married, had two kids, built a biz and now we miss our family. Our options were MI or PA the answer was clear. I am coming to realize that its not going to be as easy to get where I am now in PA, but I am determined and hopefull that I can sell my current biz and turn a nice profit. So I guess the question isn`t should I do it but how should I go about getting the clients where there aren`t going to be as many. There is always money to be had no matter where you are, its targeting it thats critical. I won`t have a bunch of over head if any at start up, but I`m sure with the harsh winters I will eventually have to get a shop. Hope this sort of clears things up.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck man
    Kurt

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southerndetail View Post
    The reason is simply family, I am from MI and my wife is from PA. Long story short I moved to NC in 2001 she moved in 1998 we met by chance in 04 got married, had two kids, built a biz and now we miss our family. Our options were MI or PA the answer was clear. I am coming to realize that its not going to be as easy to get where I am now in PA, but I am determined and hopefull that I can sell my current biz and turn a nice profit. So I guess the question isn`t should I do it but how should I go about getting the clients where there aren`t going to be as many. There is always money to be had no matter where you are, its targeting it thats critical. I won`t have a bunch of over head if any at start up, but I`m sure with the harsh winters I will eventually have to get a shop. Hope this sort of clears things up.
    It seems likely that you will need a source of income besides mobil detailing in the colder months in PA.
    It will not only be somewhere between difficult and impossible to work outside, getting people to take care of their cars isn`t easy in good weather let alone when the weather is crappy.
    Since you will likely have a truck of some sort, maybe snow removal could tie in with your work schedule.
    Put up and take down Christmas decorations and lights.
    Maybe a mobil oil and filter change operation. If you could get some customers lined up in somewhat close proximity, you could do a bunch while they are at work. Even the quicky lubes usually have a waiting line around here.
    You might even be able to upsell the remote oil drain system so it would be easier the next time.
    FWIW, The suction systems don`t do all that bad. They don`t get all the old oil, but they do get most of it. Marinas have used them for years and I used them on a couple of boats. You might have to sell people on the idea, but having them check with a marina might sell the idea for you.
    Every customer for any of the services I mentioned should also be a possible customer for all the others.

Charles

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well i hope everything works out for you southerndetail in PA. Keep us inform.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

I suspected like Charles that there was family in the mix, and no better reason, especially with kids involved...I wish you luck in the move and selling of your assets on the way out!

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information