Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: moving to PA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: moving to PA

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    It seems likely that you will need a source of income besides mobil detailing in the colder months in PA.
    It will not only be somewhere between difficult and impossible to work outside, getting people to take care of their cars isn`t easy in good weather let alone when the weather is crappy.
    Since you will likely have a truck of some sort, maybe snow removal could tie in with your work schedule.
    Put up and take down Christmas decorations and lights.
    Maybe a mobil oil and filter change operation. If you could get some customers lined up in somewhat close proximity, you could do a bunch while they are at work. Even the quicky lubes usually have a waiting line around here.
    You might even be able to upsell the remote oil drain system so it would be easier the next time.
    FWIW, The suction systems don`t do all that bad. They don`t get all the old oil, but they do get most of it. Marinas have used them for years and I used them on a couple of boats. You might have to sell people on the idea, but having them check with a marina might sell the idea for you.
    Every customer for any of the services I mentioned should also be a possible customer for all the others.
    I agree with Charles.. you will need an alternative method of making a living other than mobile detailing...Charles has given a good list of ideas
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

SD - Since I live about 15 minutes from Reading - Get ready for high taxes and cost of living. Just stay out of my territory. LOL - Only kidding - If you are going to target an area - Wyomissing is full of doctors and businesses. There are some very expensive townships that you could also target - Sinking Spring & Wilson - both attend the same school district I think which would be Wilson ASD. Both very close to Wyomissing. The schools are ok and get ready for teachers to go on strike when they do not get a 8% raise every year.

A couple years ago my wife and I were looking at buying a house in the 220 range and the $7000 a year in taxes was a turn off. We decided not to buy.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

BTW - Reading has been a pretty violent city over the past ten years in which they sometimes rank higher than Philly and Pittsburgh and other larger cities.

I make yo ride bling!! :)
    Post Thanks / Like

if you come closer to central pa, can i fill out an app to work with ya? lol good luck with the move and dont forget the heavy jackets

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t do it. Haha. I know you probley do not have a choice though. Haha. Seriously though, I am moving to either Fort Lauderdale or possibly back to Charlotte in May. Originally form Charlotte, Providence High School/ Lived near the Ballantyne South Charlotte area. What you will find about mobile business in the north in my opinion, is that the climate and weather only allow you to detail 7-8 months out of the year. When it gets cold, people stay in, the weather is bad and the last thing people think about is keeping their car clean.
    Here in Ohio it rains/or snows easily 4 times a week. So, people are less likely to spend 150 to have their car detailed on a regular basis. I feel up here car`s are definately viewed as just transportation, and alot of car owners really do not care about their cars. Not everyone, but alot of people have this view!
    When I was in Charlotte I can remember my dad feeling embarassed driving a dirty car. Nice weather, there is no excuse not to keep you car looking good is what he would say. Plus being a up and coming city, big banking industry, sports teams, cars are an extension of ones personality down there! Plus your business clientele I am sure is great, and with the economy in the shape it`s in, it might take you twice as long in PA to get you where you are now!

I hate that you are leaving Charlotte, awesome place. And if I was moving there, I would definately consider talking to you about your business. Good luck to you and your future. Hope I shared some decent info for you.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Got an update for us?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post
    Got an update for us?
    Probably not

Post Thanks / Like

unfortunatly no update, I did get my biz on the market this week. To be honest with you I am getting cold feet. I really wish I could convince the inlaws to move down here. I don`t think we could have picked a worst time literally in the history of America to move. On a side note the detailing biz is going great down here you are right heavenlyv6 this is an incredible place to live.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southerndetail View Post
    unfortunatly no update, I did get my biz on the market this week. To be honest with you I am getting cold feet. I really wish I could convince the inlaws to move down here. I don`t think we could have picked a worst time literally in the history of America to move. On a side note the detailing biz is going great down here you are right heavenlyv6 this is an incredible place to live.
    getting them to move is definitely a better idea

you will have more than cold feet in PA ...there`s snow on the ground in many places

we told my in-laws to move closer to one of their kids a while ago, but it might be too late as their health is failing and moving would be quite difficult ..I feel for ya ... good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless biz is still for sale can be yours for $125,000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    we told my in-laws to move closer to one of their kids a while ago, but it might be too late as their health is failing and moving would be quite difficult ..I feel for ya ... good luck
    I moved to PA because of my in-laws. A few years ago they both retired and moved to Pinehurst, NC. Damn them. They always have to remind me how nice the weather is down there during the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redwings97 View Post
    I moved to PA because of my in-laws. A few years ago they both retired and moved to Pinehurst, NC. Damn them. They always have to remind me how nice the weather is down there during the winter.
    Trent .. I told my in-laws years ago to move some place warm so at least we`d have a reason to WANT to visit

Post Thanks / Like

I think Charlotte is a much better place than PA.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I think Charlotte is a much better place than PA.
    I live in PA and 100% agree on this............

2006 Silverado extra cab Black level 3
    2004 Subaru Legacy GT
    1995 SHO ATX TAURUS LOADED RARE GREEN
    1993 SHO ATX STRIPPER MODEL BLUE/ BLACK

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

If you plan to make your living detailing, the weather in PA might be a factor. If it is anything like Iowa, most people don`t even bother to wash their vehicles, let alone wax them during the winter months.
    I get a weather report/forecast from a local TV station and today`s early report for central Iowa has this introduction.
    Quote Originally Posted by KCCI
    TRAVEL NOT ADVISED
    Snowfall will come to an end from west to east this morning with blowing snow continuing throughout the day. The heaviest totals have been reported in northern Iowa. In the metro, 1-3" are likely before things wrap up. The combination of snow and ice have authorities advising no travel in some areas this morning.

SNOW TOTALS AS OF 5 A.M.
    Clarion: 6"
    Pocahontas: 5.5"
    Mason City: 5"
    Forest City: 4.5"
    Fort Dodge: 4"
    Estherville: 3.5"
    Sac City: 3.5"
    Webster City: 3"
    Of course this only happens about 5 or 6 times a year.
    The average annual snowfall is 32 inches. Annual variation of snowfall is also large, ranging from a minimum of about 8 inches to as much as 72 inches.

Gee, maybe those people that don`t wash their cars aren`t as dumb as I thought they were.
    I`ll still wash mine, though.

Charles

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

An I only got some light freezing rain for a 2 hour school late start. And I also cleaned up a customers work pickup. now sometime his own black 99 f150 that has only been waxed once last year by a quick detailing shop in des moines. Hopeflly he likes the way this pickup looks,I used PB`s SSS, PBs elastic clay (1/3 of a 8oz bar)with Spray and wipe, SSR2.5, White diamond, followed by Malco sealant that i had purchased before i found this site in feb 2006. Sure is a lot slicker and shinier!!! especially the chrome wheels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information