Post Thanks / Like

Another Angle of the Dangle

I have been looking at Craigslist for another car, a get around town car if you will....Since I look at the site every day two or three times...the real good cars priced right go fast!

I started to notice in some ad`s by the same guys posting his cars for sale...in fact I noticed about 4 people that have cars for sale each week...I called on all of them several times and now they know me by voice...what`s this all mean?

I`m popular? they think I`m a nut?

No there is a need for detailing here!!

All of the cars that these seller had where in bad cosmetic shape...I have seen about half a dozen of them...most of these are impounds, lien sales, donated cars to charities, etc...my comment to them was, why not invest another 100 or so to get the cars looking better and then get more for them...

All this said most of them don`t care, in this price range 2K and down the sellers don`t care...however I did find two that where very interested...I talked one guy into letting me detail one for him...as an experiment...I gave him a rock bottom price and told him this was not going to be my full detail but rather one that would make the car look real good for the sale...

So what`s in it as a business / marketing strategy?

If you start to surf CL in your area you will see a lot of people just like the ones I have here, that can use some help with the cosmetics of these cars...I`m talking about some very basic detailing...one step paint correction, using a filler product, vacuumed rugs and mats, windows, etc...I can knock these cars out quickly and still make some steady $$ at the same time.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another Angle of the Dangle

That is an excellent idea Dave. I have a wholesale customer that I do auction preps for. For the amount of time you spend on the mini details you can really clean up$$!

Post Thanks / Like

Heh, I was thinking the same thing. Most customers don`t really care too much for having paint correction but rather just tidying up their vehicle which is fine by me.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s an idea that` I`ve given some thought too. When I posted my car on craigslist, I couldn`t help but notice how poorly the other cars looked.

Of course, the only responses I got to my craigslist ad were either typical scammers, low ball offers or people wanting a payment plan (On a $4,000 car). I posted the car on Auto Trader and one week later got full asking price.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    I have been looking at Craigslist for another car, a get around town car if you will....Since I look at the site every day two or three times...the real good cars priced right go fast!

I started to notice in some ad`s by the same guys posting his cars for sale...in fact I noticed about 4 people that have cars for sale each week...I called on all of them several times and now they know me by voice...what`s this all mean?

I`m popular? they think I`m a nut?

No there is a need for detailing here!!

All of the cars that these seller had where in bad cosmetic shape...I have seen about half a dozen of them...most of these are impounds, lien sales, donated cars to charities, etc...my comment to them was, why not invest another 100 or so to get the cars looking better and then get more for them...

All this said most of them don`t care, in this price range 2K and down the sellers don`t care...however I did find two that where very interested...I talked one guy into letting me detail one for him...as an experiment...I gave him a rock bottom price and told him this was not going to be my full detail but rather one that would make the car look real good for the sale...

So what`s in it as a business / marketing strategy?

If you start to surf CL in your area you will see a lot of people just like the ones I have here, that can use some help with the cosmetics of these cars...I`m talking about some very basic detailing...one step paint correction, using a filler product, vacuumed rugs and mats, windows, etc...I can knock these cars out quickly and still make some steady $$ at the same time.
    Man where was I at the day this was posted...
    I do what I do, when I can do it...

Thread Information