Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Add on services. Who has them?

good points........
    There is a windshield chip guy around here pushing from 25-50 a winshield.
    I just figured, if I detailed a vehicle, and it has a chip in the glass, I am already there.
    I could upsell it to the customer, like I said, I am already there............

I dunno.....I`ll do more research
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB
    good points........
    There is a windshield chip guy around here pushing from 25-50 a winshield.
    I just figured, if I detailed a vehicle, and it has a chip in the glass, I am already there.
    I could upsell it to the customer, like I said, I am already there............

I dunno.....I`ll do more research
    I didnt mean to make it sound like a bad idea. I agree, if you`re already there then even if there is only $1 profit....it`s still $1 you wouldnt have had if you didnt offer the service. FWIW, we get $50 here in the Atlanta market. I wish I could price it a bit higher, but the market wont bear it. Also, alot of insurance companies bill through third party networks and some wont even pay the full $50.....just throwing that out there in case you decide to go that route. HTH
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Post Thanks / Like

I`m kinda goin in another direction. Looking to add house washing, window cleaning, and deck restoration to my business. Been doing alot of house washing lately.

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One story only? Have any worries about removing paint on painted houses?

I did my fence and deck, but if I did it as a service, I think I would need a longer hose.........
    That and a bigger tank, unless the customer let you ise their water supply.....
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB
    That is what I was going to do. What do you charge for, lets say, a fender with average rock chips? High amount of rock chips?
    I charge anywhere from $15-$30 depending on the size of the chip. Same goes for scratches. If there are several chips that need repair i will give them better deal.

How much you can charge really depends on your area and how much you think your time is worth.

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxima Lover
    Does it match well? I`ve yet to see touch-up paint, even from the dealer, match up right or at least to my standards.
    Yes! If you buy the paint from the dealership you will get the exact color. All of the chips and scratches that i have fixed come out looking like it was never there.

I would not waste my time with the bottles you can buy from autozone as most time they don`t match well.

I also use a toothpick for appling the paint. You can get it in there better than if you were using a brush. theres nothing wrong with using a brush though i just prefer the toothpick method.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe`s Detail
    I`m kinda goin in another direction. Looking to add house washing, window cleaning, and deck restoration to my business. Been doing alot of house washing lately.
    I also offer house and deck washing. As well as driveway and sidewalk cleaning. You can make some good money by offering these services. Normally you`ll use the customers water supply as it`ll take more water than you can carry in a tank.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been slowly expanding into other areas. I do some small windshield chip repair as well as some touch up work. I only offer PDR when it is a dent I know I can remove with my Ding King. Say what you will about their marketing strategy, but that tool is using the exact same principle that $300 tools use. It works to pull certain types of dents.

I think the way to make some really good money with this gig is to get really well rounded. Someday when I get tired of working for `the man`, I`m going to move back to Dallas and buy a M.A.R.S. franchise and hit it hard core. I want to ultimately offer detailing, window tinting, gold plating, have an air brush artist, PDR, and paint chip and glass chip repair deal all under one roof. I just can`t do that up here where most of the population seems to not care about their car for a large part of the year.

Refctn Perfctn

I agree with TexasTB on offering windshield repair as an (upsell) service on a full exterior Detail. I as well want to offer this service and in the very near future I am ordering a kit to do so......I am still doing research on kits thou. Any advice would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Way2SSlow
    I dont know about that last statement. As far as profits being huge...I work at a glass shop, and considering the price of each repair and the cost of the repair kit and resin as well as mylar squares.....I *personally* dont think the profit is huge. You`ll also have to plan on buying the specialty drill bits needed for the job if you want to do things right. Those kits you see at wal mart are a joke. We`ve got a few different kits at the shop here and they were all kinda pricey. Insurance companies will pay the whole bill but, you will have to work to get the money from them as well.

Also,

something else worth mentioning......Anytime you drill on the windshield you run the risk of the crack running on you. Then it`s time for them to get a new windshield, and time for you to deal with a P*SSED off customer. Also, if you`re doing these mobile in Texas it`d be a good idea to let the windshield cool a little bit before you start to work on it.

I`m not saying that there is no money in it, but I dont think you`ll be making a huge profit (but I could be wrong). Call around some local glass shops and see what they`re getting for repairs.

HTH
    Your right, huge probably wasn`t the right word. I just meant for the time it took, it was a pretty good extra $50+ depending on how many chips.

...Dreaming on an E92.... LikeaRock's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The detail shop I used to work in was shared with a PDR guy. He and his uncle ran the shop, his uncle went out and did the mobile PDR. I watched them countless times when there was no work in our part of the shop, I`m thinking of finding some tools somehow/somewhere for a decent price and start going to junk yards and practicing. I`d even practice on my own car.
    If you have the patience to learn it and become very proficient with it there is a lot of money to be made. I`ve seen the guys in the shop pop out minor dents in a matter of 10-15 minutes. If you have an easy acces panel and access point it`s a breeze. I`m thinking it`ll be a great thing to practice on rainy days.

Other than minor touch up work I don`t offer any services...yet
    "Lifes too short to live in caution"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information