Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marketing...what would you do?

Poorboy, your idea about marketing in the church bulletin is a great one for those folks who attend church. Advertising there gives the impression that you are a man of god and are somehow more honest and higher quality that your competition. I have an uncle who built a general contracting company doing just that. He ONLY marketing was done in his church bulletin. His business is now a very successful one.

mgm2003. You are right in that when you detail for people you know, you are more likely to get compliments than when you detail for strangers. But just because someone doesn`t compliment you on a job well done, it doesn`t mean they are displeased with your service. I know that I don`t throw around compliments if a hired service does what I asked them to do. I would only compliment if they went the extra mile....or convinced me that they did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimwallace
    Good Luck ... Try to have some Before and After photos. The uglier the before and the better the after shots the more impact you will have. I am assuming you are taking an actual car to the event ... another idea is take a car that is detailed on one side from the center of the hood and in bad shape on the other ... People like to see honest results.
    I considered having an `example` car to show people. But since I am only allowed one vehicle, I chose one that will attract attention.

Instead of selling my service on the quality of my work, I am going to be selling the virtues of my waterless, environmentally friendly detailing service. This is California after all! And the community hosting this event was built on environmentally friendly principles....ie, electric conservation, low emission paints, recycled building components, solar power, WATER CONSERVATION.... The people who bought homes in this planned community did so because of their environmental stance.

SC~

Post Thanks / Like

Just as a follow-up, I wanted to report back to the board about this.

The business event was a smash success for me!

1. I generated over 80 leads for my service in the form of a raffle. I have a pile of raffle tickets with names/phone numbers/ locations....each person will get a call and a special offer from me this week.

2. I was tipped off about 3 or 4 business parking lots in the area that are currently not serviced by detailers.

3. 3-400 of my 4x6 marketing cards were picked up voluntarially by individuals attending the event. I explained my services to over 100 of these folks individually.

My phone has been ringing like crazy! And with each wash or detail booking they say something like, "well my neighbors and I are looking for someone who will wash and wax our cars....". So each job booked may well flower into 4 or 5 jobs if the referrals start flowing!

So if anyone out there is on the fence about attending a community fair or business event, just do it!

SC~

CEO of InstantShine
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thats great. I would actually take part in one myself in one thats coming up right next week, but unfortunatly I havent even had time to prepare since I only just started / starting. One good thing for me though, is since im fairly well known amongst my church, word has been spreading about my detailing business to be, and I have had one person specifically tell me they want me to detail their car as soon as im up and running, and I have had our largest company develop interest in me and my services (multi-million dollar company! ) Exciting Stuff!

But yeah, next major event, im sure to attend with my own stand.

It Never Rains in CA?? e-klasse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
    Just as a follow-up, I wanted to report back to the board about this.

The business event was a smash success for me!

1. I generated over 80 leads for my service in the form of a raffle. I have a pile of raffle tickets with names/phone numbers/ locations....each person will get a call and a special offer from me this week.

2. I was tipped off about 3 or 4 business parking lots in the area that are currently not serviced by detailers.

3. 3-400 of my 4x6 marketing cards were picked up voluntarially by individuals attending the event. I explained my services to over 100 of these folks individually.

My phone has been ringing like crazy! And with each wash or detail booking they say something like, "well my neighbors and I are looking for someone who will wash and wax our cars....". So each job booked may well flower into 4 or 5 jobs if the referrals start flowing!

So if anyone out there is on the fence about attending a community fair or business event, just do it!

SC~
    CONGRATULATIONS!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by e-klasse
    CONGRATULATIONS!
    thx....it sounds like this weekends marketing may have scored me a coveted dealership car lot maintenance job. It sounds like I`ll be prepping used luxo cars for a dealer, then maintaining the cars on the lot with waterless washes.

SC~

It Never Rains in CA?? e-klasse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
    thx....it sounds like this weekends marketing may have scored me a coveted dealership car lot maintenance job. It sounds like I`ll be prepping used luxo cars for a dealer, then maintaining the cars on the lot with waterless washes.

SC~
    WOW! You`re in a tough market, too... lots of potential = lots of competition. WELL DONE!!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mgm2003
    Poorboy -That sounds like a pretty good way to get out of going to church too. Mess up a few cars, and you`re sleeping in on Sundays
    bawahahaha .....:yeah it can get you a lot or get you out of a local business real fast

Congrats SC on the fair....sounds like you`ll be the one posting for help real soon
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

congratulations SC.

some great ideas there. after reading this thread i have realised that since i am only looking at this business part time for 12 months or so i need to be careful not to over advertise or i could end up not having the time and pushing business away.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a call off of one of my signs from a local realtor who was also the organizer of a local networking group which he invited me to join, and I did. I went to the weekly breakfast and met about 30 other business people from all sorts of fields and booked appointments for the next couple of days from the group.
    Check your local areas for similar networking groups.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information