Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, been reading a lot here and this is only my second post. Since I live in Belgium it`s not easy to find a random orbital but I think I`ve found one.

The local shop sells festool rotex RO125 and 150. It seems like a random orbital but do anyone of you can confirm this festool is the same as a PC ? If yes, does people on this board have experience with them ?

and do they recommend it?

Will the sonus pads (or any other US pads) fit to this machine ?

They need to have velcro to stick on the festool.

They even sell a kit with different pads, 2 backing plates, microfiber towels, festool polish (4 grades of abrassive), all in a nice case.

If anyone can give me some info, would be much appreciated

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll want to stick with the Rotex 150.

Here is a nice description from their website http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDet...&prodid=571494

Chris_DBS, another Autopian from Australia uses it. Maybe he`ll see this and answer your question.

You can switch from orbital to rotary so you`ll get two machines in one.

Here are some results when I searched Autopia for "Rotex." http://autopia.org/forum/search.php?searchid=244439

I think the Sonus pads or any other pads will fit as long as the Rotex backing plate can accept Velcro and come in either 5 inch or 6 inch sizes to accept the pad.

Hope this helps.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t tried the Festools but from all accounts, they are far better than the PCs.

The rotary mode is more of a forced rotation with random orbital at the same time. You still won`t get near the power of a dedicated rotary buffer but it`ll be more effective than in just orbital mode and still very safe.

If you can afford the Rotex 150 I`d say go for it. They`re close to AU$800 (~US$600) here which is a bit too much for me as a weekend toy.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Festool Rotex has 2 modes. A random orbital mode and a forced rotation mode.

In Random orbital mode it can do everything a pc can do, with a little more power also.

In Forced Rotation mode it is much more aggresive. With the right pad and compound combination you can do 95% of what a Rotary can do. It will level paint like a rotary and finish off with holograms like a pc.

It takes a little longer level the paint than a rotary but it will do what a pc can never do.

If you do get a RO150, which i prefer, the first thing you should do if replace the backup plate. Get the specific polishing backing plate, as the one that comes standard has a tapered edge and is meant for sanding. You will notice a big difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the info guys

looks like it`s the same as a makita BO6040.?

Rotary`s are available here too, but I think it`s better to start with this festool RO150 and learn as much as possible.

Since importing a PC (extra transport costs + converter needed to 220 V) costs me almost as much as a festool RO150 I think it`s better to buy the festool.

3 years warranty and now 10 % discount included so not a bad choice a guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spilchy

Here is a nice description from their website http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDet...&prodid=571494

Chris_DBS, another Autopian from Australia uses it. Maybe he`ll see this and answer your question.

Here are some results when I searched Autopia for "Rotex." http://autopia.org/forum/search.php?searchid=244439

I think the Sonus pads or any other pads will fit as long as the Rotex backing plate can accept Velcro and come in either 5 inch or 6 inch sizes to accept the pad.

Hope this helps.

Hey thanks spilchy

Yeah yeah go the festool rotex 150 its an awesome machine and as mizurri another aussie has stated its more powerful then the pc and when in rotex mode will do almost everything a rotory will do without leaving holograms and you can almost never damage the paint unless you drop it on the car. very safe and very effective tool. I also have a rupes rotory and use the festool about 90% of the time. Also here in aus the festools come with a 3 yr warranty, long way in front of makita over here anyway

Hey and Mizzuri is a bit of a legend with a buff here in aus and if he recommends something thats certainly a high recommendation.

Good luck, have fun

Chris
    Driven By Shine
    Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chris...

If you go the Festool RO125 definately get some of the new Menzerna Pads. They are 4.5" I think (135mm). Wool cutting, White Polishing, Orange Finishing.

If you go the Festool RO150, as I said before change the backing pad straight away.

Good Luck, It you are after any more info I would be more than happy to help.

regards

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    hey Mizzuri no trouble at all, only speaking the truth. Your reputation precedes you.
    Driven By Shine
    Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you guys

So this past weekend I finally bought it

the festool rotex RO150 is now mine and it looks great

Now I just need some pads and we`re off. Can you give me some tips on which pads should be good with the RO150 ? it has a 150mm / 5.9 inch backing plate, so I guess any 6 inch velcro pad should fit.

Since not many pads available over here I will need to buy from an US store (autopia, autogeek, pakshak)

pads I need are ; light cutting pad, polishing pad and finishing pad

Can you also recommend me a good product that goes with the different pads?

Currently have the AG paint renovator, AG SRP and P21s wax

Since I`m new at it, don`n want to start too agressive

Regarding the backing plate, it`s now supplied with a soft plate and I see you can also get a supersoft backing plate, I presume this is the one you mean ?

Sorry for all these questions but I`m new on machine polishing and still have sooooo much too learn.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stijndg
    it has a 150mm / 5.9 inch backing plate, so I guess any 6 inch velcro pad should fit.

You need a 125mm/5" backing plate to fit the 6.5" (most common) pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go for the 7" buffing pads. Those have a 6" velcro piece to suit your plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the edge 6" pads yellow, green, blue, white, they fit perfectly your probably after green, blue and white from what your saying. pic of the white pad below

I also use Poorboys world SSR`s alot of the time and have had no dramas.

Driven By Shine
    Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    If you haven`t got your pads yet.. can I recommend the Edge 2k system??

You can easily make and adapter to fit your festool for about $35

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62309

That way you can use both 6" pads and 8" pads. and they`re very easy to change over. Apparently there are two types of 6" Edge 2k pads. The ones from Autopia are of a denser foam (there are 5 the set) I don`t like them much, but the ones you see on eclipsedetailing.com.au or shown on the edge website (4 in the set) are much softer and I find you get ge perfect results with thes.. ie swirl free on any colour in direct sunlight.. not even micro-swirls..

The other good thing about the edge 2k system is that you are basically getting 2 pads for the price of one cos you can use both sides..

just my 2 cents worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spilchy

Here is a nice description from their website Festool - Product Details

Hope this helps.

What is it about the 150 that is preferrable over the 125?

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    To the top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information