Thread: Backing plates

Post Thanks / Like
    Once again, i am asking questions regarding backing plates. i recently purchased the sonus DAS pads with the 5 in backing plate. i used these pads with the backing plate and everything worked out well. about 2 weeks later i used my 6 in cma yellow pad with the 5 in backing plate. after a few panels i went back to the 6 in backing plate that came with the cma pad kit.

i just noticed that there is a 6 in flexible backing plate available. would i be better off using this with the 6 in cma pads ?? i did not feel that the 5 in backing plate gave the 6 in pad enough uniform pressure to help in removing swirls.

if i continue to use the 5 in flexible backing plate, should i use the 5 in couterweight ? or should i leave the 6 in counterweight on ??

i like using the flexible backing plate but also like using the dmaller 6 in pads.

so should i just order a 6 in flexible backing plate ?? :bawling:

Post Thanks / Like
    You shouldn`t use a 6" BP with a 6" pad , you run the risk of the BP hitting the paint. It`s a good idea to use a 5" BP with 6" pads. Flexible or not what ever you feel comfortable using.

:buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    i guess that means i should be using the 5 in flexible one,

sounds good,

anyone else ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollman
    You shouldn`t use a 6" BP with a 6" pad , you run the risk of the BP hitting the paint. It`s a good idea to use a 5" BP with 6" pads. Flexible or not what ever you feel comfortable using.

The 6 inch Flexi Backing plate comes with the SFX pads and they are exactly the same size?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollman

What he said, when I need to take on heavier swirls I use the 4 inch spot pad with a 3.5 plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richt
    The 6 inch Flexi Backing plate comes with the SFX pads and they are exactly the same size?

Do you mean both the pad and blacking plate are exactly the same size ? I don`t know what to tell you other then becareful when using them .

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the SFX pad kit with backing plate is exactly the same size as the pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richt
    Yeah the SFX pad kit with backing plate is exactly the same size as the pads.

Just becarefull when you use it , watch that edge .

Post Thanks / Like
    When I first got my PC I used the 5" backing plate with the DAS pads and soon came to the conclusion that it doesn`t offer a uniform enough pressure over the pad. Since them I`ve been using a 6" backing plate with a 5" counter weight with no problems whatsoever.

I found with a 6" pad and 5" plate the sides of the pads "curled up, and therefore got caked very quickly. Ok so you have to be a bit more careful in my new setup but I still haven`t come close to getting the backing plate on the paint.

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    A good way to cure the backing plate problems is with the Edge 2000 pad system . It does away with the backing plate totally and replaces it with a quick disconnect that allows for fast pad changing centered perfectly everytime. :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    I have played safe and used the 5 inch pad with both my SFX and DAS pads. I then found the same that the 6 inch plate gave better pressure on the SFX pads when de swirling my mates 406. When used as it was meant to be used I noticed the edge!

I will try the 6 inch plate on the DAS pads next time I use the PC and see how that works Ben. Cheers for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    well, i agree with the "non uniform" pressure that a 5in back plate gives to a 6 in pad.

i will continue to use the 6 in backing plate with the 6 in pads.

if a small er pad does not give uniform pressure than why are the sonus pads larger than the backing plate ??

i was using a spare 6 in yellow cma pad with the ssr2.5 and it got caked in the center pretty pad, ( using the 6 in backing plate ??? ) any word on what the cause is for that ??

the menzerna would not get caked that bad soo fast. :think:

would a 6 in flexible backing plate provide the same amount of pressure as the more solid one that i have been using.

eh, too many combos to think about :work:

Thread Information