Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys.. first time posting here. I`ve been reading for the last couple of months and I just got my PC yesterday!

ANways, i got the whole SFX setup, pads combo, SFX1,2 and 3. I plan on finishing it with NXT. I also have GC, KAIO, KSG as well.

Anways, I was working on a beat up Ford Expedition with SFX1 and my PC set at 3 - 4. I have some questions:

How long should i Polish an area for?

How much product to use?

How thin should the product be buffed down to?

Should i skip the SFX3 and go straight to the NXT?

Can I polish glass just like i do with the paint?

I don`t know what i did wrong, but after I was done... the SFX1 dryed into a white dusty haze. It was terribly hard to get off. Impossible to get off with a dry MF, and had to wet it and use a LOT of elbow grease. Did i not buff it in enough? used too much product?

this is what I`m working on:

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using a SFX pad ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JBM
    Are you using a SFX pad ?

yes...I used the yellow that was supposed to be used in conjunction with SFX1.

I hope i didn`t ask stupid questions... :-/

Post Thanks / Like
    update: i used SFX2 and it was simliar to SFX1 (as far as removal).

THe problem is that even if I do 1/2 a panel at a time, the the polish dries extremely fast. And it dries hard. Impossible to remove with a dry microfiber.

After this, i`m not using the SFX series again. I`m not even going to bother with the SFX3.

The next day, I ran out and bought the meguiars deep crystal paint cleaner and the DC polish, then finished it with NXT. MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH BETTER THAN SFX1/2. It didn`t dry up nearly as fast as the SFX, and removal didn`t take nearly as much effort.

will post pictures when %100 done!

Post Thanks / Like
    btw: i`m willing to give my SFX1 and 2 bottles to anyone.. just pay for shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Removal of SFX 1 &2 is easier with a shot of QD.

SFX 3 is awesome though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Trackie
    update: i used SFX2 and it was simliar to SFX1 (as far as removal).

THe problem is that even if I do 1/2 a panel at a time, the the polish dries extremely fast. And it dries hard. Impossible to remove with a dry microfiber.

After this, i`m not using the SFX series again. I`m not even going to bother with the SFX3.

The next day, I ran out and bought the meguiars deep crystal paint cleaner and the DC polish, then finished it with NXT. MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH BETTER THAN SFX1/2. It didn`t dry up nearly as fast as the SFX, and removal didn`t take nearly as much effort.

will post pictures when %100 done!

Very strange, I have had none of those problems, I find the SFX range very easy to work with

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same problem, with SFX 2.

It dries up so quickly that you barely can move the rotary.

It powders a lot and makes spots on the surface that look like "streaked out bubble gum".

Is this something related to the amount of product or the speed of the rotary.

BTW I use SFX range with the DAS pad kit and rotary on 900-1100 rpm with the correct pads.

Removal of the residu is only possible with a MF and water...

Post Thanks / Like
    wally,

exactly! Another thing that irks me is that the instruction for the SFX2 and 1 doesn`t mention removing the polish before it dries. Then it also tells you to clean the polish off with a DRY mf towel! (i`m not clark kent, yah know)

Post Thanks / Like
    this is pure user error i suppose. i think it is pretty obvious when you are stating that the megs 3 step is better than the sfx series....

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did an explorer yesterday with this stuff. It is my first time with a pc but by the end I felt let down by the products. sfx1 was hard to work with, it dried quickly but when I try to remove it with a mf it leaves a film that just smears around forever. It also really gumed up my pad, which made everything more diffucult. I was much happier with sfx2 untill it also gumed up my pad and began depositing the goo on the paint. But I found sfx2 much better to remove (relatively speaking) and it didn`t create as much dust as sfx1. I didn`t try sfx3 yet as I was loosing light and the sfx2 made did a nice job in the end. So I just went straight to the NXT.

BTW what causes pads to gum up?

Post Thanks / Like
    When I use 3m perfect-IT III rubbing compound , how it dusts depends on two things .

One - when I use a white wool pad , it almost immediately seemed to dry , realized later the pad soaked it up so fast . I know this is not applicable to foam , BUT ..

When I use a yellow wool or yellow foam and wet the pad then " ring it out " by turning on the rotary to spin and apply enough material that the pad cant soak it up and it dilutes somewhat it works much better . Dust minimal if any once spread and wipes right off .

Thread Information