Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everybody

First post so be gentle, I decided to start my own thread rather than hijack somebody elses.

I have a 15 month red Audi RS6 Avant with a few straight scratches which are mainly visible under flourescent light. I purchased a PC kit from Autopia and used it for the first time today. I was a little disapointed with the results, i.e some scratches are still evident, and some you can feel with your nail, I will run through my process in order of application. (The reason for trying different pads/polishes was to remove the "deeper" scratches).

Speed Glaze #80 - green pad

DC cleaner polish # 83 - green pad

DC cleaner polish # 83 - orange pad

My initial thoughts were, was I moving the machine too quickly and not polishing for long enough ?

It`s the usual concern that every new user goes through, we are all worried of ruining the paintwork just to remove the odd mark that nobody else can see

Can you experts please run through a few suggestions for me,

Do I spend more time on one area

OR

Try a more abrasive polish/cleaner (like Meguiars #84)

I`ve read on a few UK Audi Forums that the top coat on Audi`s is very hard, can anybody confirm that ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Audi clear is VERY hard, in order to get good results with a PC, you might want to switch to the 4" "spot buff" pads. They give the machine a lot more cutting ability. Don`t be afraid to mess up the paint, you WILL NOT mess up Audi paint with a PC, unless you A. get the pad all dirty or B. toss the machine at the car, from about 5 feet away, in anger .
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Demon- Welcome to Autopia!

I`ve had maybe a dozen Audis (currently have two), and as themightytimmah said, Audi clear is *hard*. Very difficult to correct without a rotary.

Do *NOT* use #84 without a rotary. It`ll scour the hard clear and you probably won`t be able to fix it. Strongest product I`d use is 1z Ultra/Extra and that will leave marring of its own that you`ll need to remove with a finer product. Definitely use 4" pads with the PC and consider doing some of the isolated deep scratches by hand-you can concentrate your pressure to the area your finger will cover.

The ones you can feel with your nail are probably too deep to safely remove. Strive for "simply better" on those, don`t try to take them out completely.

Take your time (up to literally *hours* per panel) and inspect your work frequently. A tungsten/incandescent or halogen work light will probably work better than the fluorescent one.

Cool car, BTW. Shame we couldn`t get that model over here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Demon, another Audi owner.. Kewl.

I`ve never been able to do squat with my Audi using a PC, but am willing to admit that my polishes aren`t probaly geared for it and/or I just don`t have the patience. So I use a rotary.

Follow the others advice and take your time. make sure your working the product long enough to break down but not so long that it`s dried.

Inspect your work frequently and make sure you have good lighting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everybody for the replies, I didn`t realise you chaps couldn`t get the Avant model, I assume there are the saloon versions about ?

Back on topic, I`ve just moved the car out of the garage and you can`t really see the scratches in daylight so I`m happy.

I am pleased with the PC although like every novice, I`ve splattered polish everywhere

Thanks for the advice with the 4" pads, looks like Autopia will be getting some more business.

For Audi lovers, have a look in my Gallery.

http://autopia.org/gallery/showgalle...at=500&thumb=1

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by themightytimmah

Audi clear is VERY hard, in order to get good results with a PC, you might want to switch to the 4" "spot buff" pads.

Where would I be able to get these "Spot pads" ?

Post Thanks / Like
    All over, Top of the line has em so do other on-line detail shops.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have taken your advice on board and have ordered some spot pads.

In the meantime I spent a few more hours on the bonnet and now realise, after what you all said, you can`t rush these things along, the finish of the paint is better now and I am a lot happier (that`s me being a perfectionist, there wasn`t much wrong with the paint in the first place) I will use the spot pads to finish off the isolated scratches.

My Wife thinks I`m nuts as She was watching me go over the same old piece of paintwork with a variety of polishes and waxes

:xyxthumbs

Thread Information