Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,

This is my first post, Ive been reading these forums for the last couple of weeks, spent dozens of hours reading about everything. It seems like some who are using rotary are following up with the PC DA. Now my question is can you get an equally impressive finish using the rotary alone(considering i have all the pads and polishes available)?

thanks all

Post Thanks / Like
    blackcarwoes - Welcome to Autopia!

Yeah, you can do fine with only a rotary *if* (mighty big "if", BTW) you can avoid holograms and other such problems. It`s a pretty aggressive approach though, so be careful you don`t take off too much clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the response, my paint is actually in very good condition, just very minor swirls and scratches that are very hard to see after a good wax. I dont plan on doing any heavy cutting,very very little if at all, just using the white polishing pads and the black glaze pads with the rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, just be careful. It still strikes me as using an elephant gun to swat flies

Post Thanks / Like
    ok i think you sold me, now going to look for a pc da

Post Thanks / Like
    Have been told by some that a PC won`t level paint and that you always get holograms, but if you do proper finishing steps, you`ll get rid of them
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SVR

Have been told by some that a PC won`t level paint and that you always get holograms, but if you do proper finishing steps, you`ll get rid of them
    Used with a proper combination of pad, chemical and technique a PC won’t leave holograms. Quite the contrary, it can remove holograms left behind by others.

As for leveling, it depends on just how much leveling you’re talking about. Removing holograms is leveling on a very small scale. I wouldn’t want to try removing #1200 sanding scratch with a PC. And orange peel? Fugetaboutit.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I can`t imagine getting (true) holograms with a PC, sure never happened to me

It`s not like you`ll *always* get them with a rotary either, but it`s nice to have a PC on hand for the times that you do.

Post Thanks / Like
    I slightly messed up there. I meant to say that you always get holograms with a rotary. Doubt that you would with a PC

Fortunately I`ve managed to create totally hologram and swirl free finishes lately.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are always leaving holograms with the rotary Im sorry to say it but it is users error not the machine itself. Try a different pad/product combo or practice roatary use on a few junk panels.
    Brian M

Rich`s Mobile Auto Detailing, 2Slot Media

03 Hummer H2

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mazz

If you are always leaving holograms with the rotary Im sorry to say it but it is users error not the machine itself. Try a different pad/product combo or practice roatary use on a few junk panels.

Totally agree. I almost never create holograms with my rotary. I am extremely careful, not pushed for time, use low speeds, and use the least aggressive pad and polish combo necessary to get the job done.

Also I rarely need the rotary for repairs that the PC can`t handle. Careful washing (hose and bucket) and I never QD a less than clean surface.

Thread Information