Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I have been advised to come here from the Megs UK forum.

I have a black 2004 Honda Civic Type-R, which has recently had one rear wing resprayed. The bodyshop cleaned the car, and it is now covered in swirl marks.

This is annoying, especially that through care (and luck!), I had managed to keep the car reasonably swirl free for the first 9 months of its life.

The bodyshop seem reluctant to tell me what they used to inflict the swirls (orbital or rotary), but it appears that at least some of them are just from the washing process.

I don`t really want to take it back there because they may do more damage to it.

I have almost decided to import a PC, but just had a couple of questions:

1. Is it really idiot-proof as suggested on other threads? I don`t want to damage my car even more myself.

2. What pads/polishes/waxes would you recommend for this job? I am in the UK, but will import other stuff from the US if it is going to be much better.

3. Can I use the PC on the newly painted panel?

4. Is it worth trying a `manual` solution first?

Thanks for any advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    The PC is a wonderful tool. I remember seeing on here a while back that somebody said "An 800-pound gorilla couldn`t screw up with a PC". And that`s pretty close to being true. In my opinion, you would have to intentionally want to damage the paint to do so with a PC. You`d have to put a LOT of pressure on it (like 30 pounds or more) and force it to stay in one area for quite a while. Plus, the PC will take your detailing to a whole new level for the rest of your car and make things much more efficient.

You will need to let the paint cure, but I`m not sure what the recommended time is for that. I think it might be a couple weeks. I`m sure someone with more experience can confirm the time.

Good luck!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Yes, it really is idiot proof... you`d have to throw the thing at your car to do any damage!

2. Easy solution - get the Autopia Sonus pad & PC kit... you`ll get the PC and all the pads you need to sort out your swirls. Or if you get the PC on it`s own, then get a couple each of cutting and polishing pads, that should get you started.

3. Yes. but you really should be asking "what products can I use on newly painted panel" - any cleaner and/or polish should be fine, just as long as you don`t wax or seal the newly painted panel for at least 30 days - 60 days maybe safer at this time of year. Megs #80 Speed Glaze would be a good choice to use on fresh paint, but it really does depend on the severity of your swirls.

4. I wouldn`t waste your time and money - wait until you get the PC, it`ll make life alot easier.
    My name`s Craig...

...and I`m addicted to detailing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Can I also use the Megs #80 on the swirls on the rest of the car, or something stronger for the established paint?

If so, is it best to go in with this first, and then seal with something like Megs Gold Class/NXT?

Are these the only two stages required?

Is it best to leave this until after the winter (i have no garage to do the work in)?

Apologies for all of the questions, but I want to buy the right stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to another member in Scotland who suggested this item for 230v users...

Originally posted by BMcN

I managed to import a 7336 (almost the same as the 7424). To step the voltage up I bought this transformer: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...73851&ts=88687

Quite cheap and is more than enough to do the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    daveb975 - Where are you located ? It`s just theres a black CTR down the steet from me thats recently been painted.

Send me a PM if you recognise the avatar.

WD :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    WD Pro - not mine I don`t think. I am in Kingston, Surrey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it`s pretty much fool-proof. I think the only way you could damage you paint would be if you held the pad rather than the PC, put the packside of the PC on the paint and turned it on.

Always start with the least abrasive pad/product combo and assess the results. Only move on to a more abrasive pad and/or product if the results are not what you`re looking for.

I`ve read various threads here & at other forums commenting on the difficulty of working with Honda black paint, sorry I can`t give you more specific details beyond looking at this thread, so be patient `cause it sounds like Honda black marrs easier than some some other mfg`s.

http://www.detailcity.com/showthread...ht=honda+s2000

good luck
    "Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they`re open"

2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe Satin Silver Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NYV6Coupe

Yes, it`s pretty much fool-proof. I think the only way you could damage you paint would be if you held the pad rather than the PC, put the packside of the PC on the paint and turned it on.

Always start with the least abrasive pad/product combo and assess the results. Only move on to a more abrasive pad and/or product if the results are not what you`re looking for.

I`ve read various threads here & at other forums commenting on the difficulty of working with Honda black paint, sorry I can`t give you more specific details beyond looking at this thread, so be patient `cause it sounds like Honda black marrs easier than some some other mfg`s.

http://www.detailcity.com/showthread...ht=honda+s2000

good luck

I couldnt advise you on how easy black Honda paint is to work with, but check out walkmanX`s door :

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...2&pagenumber=2

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard a lot of CTR owners complaining about the quality of the paint - esp the black.

Mine is in `Nighthawk` metallic black, rather than the flat black of the S2000 in that thread, but I think it will be the same problem - so thanks for the advice.

It sounds as though they had problems when using a rotary, but were reasonably satisfied with the results from the PC.

Thread Information