Post Thanks / Like
    I have a pad to addapt to the sander in the works and was wondering how well this will work. My concern is the sander`s classification as a "finishing sander". It orbits at 14,000 opm (no joke) , and I`m guessing that these are realitivly small orbits.

here is some info from their Makita`s web site.

Specifications

Pad size 4-1/2" x 4"

Abrasive paper size 4-1/2" x 5-1/2"

No load speed 14,000 OPM

AMPS (115V) 1.6

Overall height 5-3/8"

Net weight 2.1 lbs.

Shipping weight 3.0 lbs.

It is fast (14000opm) and has a fairly large motor (about half the size of a Porter Cable - 1.6 amps) for it`s 4.5" x 5.5" pads which is more like 4.5" square because ears go into the clips that hold it. Not the easiest setup, but it might work. Do you people think I should give it a try? It is what I have and may be easier that removing my swirls by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Such a model would be one of the LAST alternatives I`d look at. Instead, look at models with variable speed (preferably down to PC-like speeds), and a circular velcro pad so you can just stick the foam pads right onto it. A better grip would be nice too.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...t=alternatives

EDIT: I just read that you own it already. I don`t really think it`s too suitable since it`s so incredibly fast, but if you can get it to work..... :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m pretty determined to give this thing a try, so I`ll do that and see how it goes, but I`m not expecting it to be great. I agree that variable speed and velcro pads would be nice. (also better grip and pad selection as you said)

That Makita BO6040 looks pretty good and I think someone like me might be better off with a PC and a rotary, since you can get both for the price. I don`t think I`ll be doing that, though.

Well, I guess I`ll finish up my pad and test it, and I`ll post results just in case anyone else wants to see.

Thanks for your help 4DSC
    Yes, it floats my boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    "I use the DeWalt and it doesn`t go as slow as the PC and I`ve never had a problem. Even if I set the thing on its max speed and apply wax with it I don`t notice any fling off. "

-Intel486

I`m hopeful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I think the DeWalt has a speed range of like 4000-7000 or 8000 OPM, which is still quite a bit slower than 14,000. Good luck though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a little bummed right now. My first attempt at making a pad failed because the material that contacts the car was too loose. Oh well, next time I`ll try to improve it. I have three layers...one reinforced peice that clamps into the jaws of the sander, one piece of fleece that goes next, then two layers of some soft terry cloth. Next time, I`ll pre-stretch the terry cloth that ended up loose.

I just thought I`d give an update
    Yes, it floats my boat.

Thread Information