Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I admit it, I am a detailing newbie. That`s the bad news. The good news is that I just ordered the Porter Cable kit from Coastal Tool.

I`ll be using the PC on a 2002 Lexus with virtually new paint, and a 1984 Porsche with original paint in very good condition. Can anyone suggest a good starter kit of waxes, polishes, bonnets, pads, etc.?

Thanks much.

Post Thanks / Like
    congratulations - you got the right tool. There are literally hundreds of posts here that answer your questions. You might try searching a bit. The answers depend on your objectives. Here`s a quick start, though:

1) get 2 "cutting" pads, a polishing pad and a buffing pad. Use the cutting pads for anything like SMR or more aggressive than SMR. Use the polishing pad for super-mild cleaners like AIO as well as glazes and polishes. Use the buffing pad for applying wax, and/or buffing it off (with a microfiber bonnet over the pad.)

2) There are lots of good products, but it seems the overwhelming majority here choose 3M or meguiar`s for any abrasives. I like 3M fine Cut rubbing compound for the most severe stuff I`ll consider going after, and FI-II for still-serious swirls. I use meguiar`s Swirl remover 2.0 for minor swirls. With this arsenal I find glazes add no value. I go straight to wax from there. These products ALL work well - and so do many others.

3) Read up here on technique. The orbital is wonderful and quite safe - but you need to understand how to work with "diminishing abrasives" to get the most out of any of the abrasive products. Failure to understand this leads to rookie mistakes of not working the product hard/long enough, or applying more compound before finishing and not working it all the way out - both of which in turn lead to hazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    As usual, Greg gives excellent advice.

I would suggest trying the polishing pad before stepping up to the cutting pad. I have obtained excellent results with a polishing pad. If the polishing pad gets the job done, there will be no need to step up to the more agreessive cutting pad.
    2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport -- Zaino

1999 MB C280 -- 1Z Glanz

Thread Information