Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Usage

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, amazing this thread is still going after almost a decade

Post Thanks / Like
    i solved it like DetailKnight said

Post Thanks / Like
    Revival, as there is still very little on rotary usage on here lol. It was used for years, I highly doubt its an automatic way to way to create problems (although I`m fully aware it can.)

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brownbob06
    Revival, as there is still very little on rotary usage on here lol. It was used for years, I highly doubt its an automatic way to way to create problems (although I`m fully aware it can.)

This may be of some help -"Using a Rotary polisher (usage tips)" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1457575
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony Orosco THANKS !

As a NOOBIE, I liked the detail of your post. As obvious as EXPERIENCE IS KEY, I wonder if people forget what it`s like to be ignorant. I am. And ALL the info you experienced guys can give is so welcome to us newcomers. I especially appreciated what you mentioned about holding the machine and the way you use your body - these can be key factors to how you hold up the next day, which is really important when you haven`t finished the job yet! When you explained holding your breath and the death grip on the machine - YEP - I could just imagine me doing that - all tensed up in anticipation. So THANKS great post ! ! !

Post Thanks / Like
    the speeds I use with a rotary are 600 up to 1250 rpm. I don`t see a need to go any higher

Today`s superior abrasive polishes, surbuf, rayon, microfibre, denim, velvet, wool and foam pads give us a bigger pad strength range than ever before

I like to use the D handle on the makita rotary for some areas (holding the left side just lightly)

on doors I put my hand on the head of the machine and for other areas I hold the middle of the machine or put my hand under the d handle with my fingers on the head of it

I no longer use foam for anything other than finishing/jewelling due to the pad materials mentioned above.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, I have to say....practice makes perfect. Secondly, after doing "Auto paint rejuvenation" for what seems like centuries. There are individuals who just will never be able to find their own technique for any success. Its just the "grim" reality of it. I don`t mean to hurt anyone`s feelings. When high speed polishing with a wool pad you have to have a sense for your sub-straight surface. That means you need to be able to feel the drag on the pad and machine through your arms. Thus, creating a corrected surface. Everything has to be right. The RPMs, the polish, or whatever your using, the tool, and it needs to be relatively correctable paint. That is why it is so difficult, or at least seems that way. Also, you need some degree of auto paint knowledge. What to use when is another question only answered by experience. These are just the facts the way I see them. We all cant play guitar like Jimi Hendricks. That is a fact. Be well!!! Pray for an early Spring, full of Gods gifts! `

Post Thanks / Like

Also, follow the great advice of all the patient angelic folks attempting to aid you in your quest. Remember you can have every attribute under the God given Sun, but if you don`t have perseverance, you have nothing. Be patient, and if you want it bad enough it will happen.`

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotary Usage

I just got a 3403 and used it very briefly today for the first time... Wow, vertical panels are going to take some practice! I was starting to get a little feel for it once I was able to keep the pad level and just sort of allow it to float over the paint. With a DA, you have to apply some pressure but this is the exact opposite. I could see a rotary being addictive. Looking forward to trying it again
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I just got a 3403 and used it very briefly today for the first time... Wow, vertical panels are going to take some practice! I was starting to get a little feel for it once I was able to keep the pad level and just sort of allow it to float over the paint. With a DA, you have to apply some pressure but this is the exact opposite. I could see a rotary being addictive. Looking forward to trying it again
    Glad your first experience with a Rotary was good.. Which handle did you get for it ? I like the handle that screws into the top side of my Makita 9227C.. It works great for me with that handle..

Just as you put some pressure on the machine plus the weight of the machine on the Horizontal panels, you still need to press the machine against the panel and not let it just float on the panel, if you are wanting to get the compound or polish to do its job..

The only time you should be holding the machine back and just letting it float over the panel is when you have completely run your compound or polish to about gone, the pad has cleaned up all the mess, and you are just getting the last bit of clarity and gloss out...

Otherwise, its press down and on some paints with compound that are severely damaged, its press down hard ( at a lower speed), and let the stuff work for you..
    You just keep it moving, watching all the time where you are going, and constantly evaluating that spot to determine what you should be getting, and changing your process if its not looking right..

A lot of this only comes with experience, so keep moving forward !
    Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Glad your first experience with a Rotary was good.. Which handle did you get for it ? I like the handle that screws into the top side of my Makita 9227C.. It works great for me with that handle..

Just as you put some pressure on the machine plus the weight of the machine on the Horizontal panels, you still need to press the machine against the panel and not let it just float on the panel, if you are wanting to get the compound or polish to do its job..

The only time you should be holding the machine back and just letting it float over the panel is when you have completely run your compound or polish to about gone, the pad has cleaned up all the mess, and you are just getting the last bit of clarity and gloss out...

Otherwise, its press down and on some paints with compound that are severely damaged, its press down hard ( at a lower speed), and let the stuff work for you..
    You just keep it moving, watching all the time where you are going, and constantly evaluating that spot to determine what you should be getting, and changing your process if its not looking right..

A lot of this only comes with experience, so keep moving forward !
    Good luck !
    Dan F
    I used the side handle but ill prob do the bale handle next time.

i was doing the gf`s car and its very heavily swirled. About 10 years old and never been polished. I used a foamed wool pad on the hood and was able to get the swirling out in 4 passes, which i was pleased with for my first time out. I used speed 2.

i tried spot correcting a set of scratches in the door panel but really struggled there. Id really just planned a simple polish with hd speed but wanted to try out the 3403 since i just got it. Ended up taining and i didnt get far at all. Looking forward to a nice day and some free time to get back at it and see how much correction i can get done.

i can tell why people caution newbies away from rotaries... Def a challenge but i like pushing myself to learn.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Got out today and worked on a utility truck they used on the grounds at work. Good for some practice for about 3 hours.

i gave a UWW rinse less wash then did WG UC with foamed wool. Then WG TSR with blue HT pads. Then Meg`s UP with a white hi gloss pad. Then Meg`s M7 with a white ccs pad.

I did did half of the hood, passenger door and quarter panel. Made a big difference, even on a 22 year old truck that has been abused badly.

wasnt trying to work a miracle or do the whole thing, just wanted to get some practice. It was fun!
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Used the rotary on my gf`s car for a good 7 hours today! I`m officially hooked. Compared with my 3401 the rotary is just so smooth. I don`t feel nearly as beat up after polishing all day.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta love the smoothness of a rotary. No vibration
    The buffing pad aficionado
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have always found that the feedback from the rotary, the pitch and the draw from the handle is something that a da cant give that and the speed of correction and combined with 2 inch and 1 inch pads means that theres very few places it cant go,mind you I am waiting with bathed breath for the arrival of the new Roupes nano early in the new year,because I honestly believe that this tool is going to move the goalposts.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information