Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just figured out why Al is a little immature sometimes. I figured him to be older. He is only 19 years old!! I always thought that the Mercedes and the IS were his. Apparantly the Mercedes is his dad`s and he is leasing the IS. That just explains soooooooo much!! Just thought I`d share. Maybe this isn`t new news. I`m a slow learner sometimes.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like

Wash after Polishing?

Just curios as to what the majority of people here do after they are done machine polishing.

Do you Wash the vehicle with soap and water after polishing, use a chemical spray down like high temp prep wash or just wipe the polish off really well and use sealent over it.

I have always just buffed the polish off very good and put BFWD over it, never seemed to have a problem. My curiosity is peaked because I recently read one of Todd`s articles and in it he mentioned washing the vehicle after polishing. I also remember getting advice from Sal Zaino to wash the vehicle after polish and before applying sealent.

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Washing is a good way to remove any reside and dust, plus it`s a minor effort considering what you`re about to do; apply a sealant that you hope for excellent bonding and durability.

More preparation makes for better results, and washing doesn`t take much effort.

I moved to Hydro Seal Polymer Sealant. The drops of water left over after a wash `n dry won`t affect it since it`s water activated polymer.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the polish I`m using dusts at all then I wash, primarily to get the dust out of the nooks and crannies. Then I will do an IPA wipe down for good measure. If there is no dust to worry about, then I go straight to the IPA. I prefer to make sure I have a clean surface to promote bonding. It really is a minor inconvenience compared to having a sealant fail to last, thus compromising my customer`s opinion of my work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m about 50/50. If I can clean things up with IPA, I just do a wipedown. Sometimes I wash. I at least do one of them.
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent Advice.

Thanks for all the great replies :cornut:

Post Thanks / Like
    There`s usually so much dust it just makes sense to wash the car to get the dust out of all the cracks and what not.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree but some polish brands like Menzerna do not dust that much.

I found that the new Megs 105/205 puts out a lot of dust.

Dust in cracks needs to be washed out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Griot`s makes a product for this specific step called Pre-Wax Cleaner.

It is designed to remove excess polish residue so as not to introduce news swirls when waxing.

Before I started using this product, I used to re-wash the car. re-washing the car is too laborious, wastes water, and actually might not remove some polishing residue that has been left behind.

One thing I like about Griot`s is that, over the years, they have introduced a product for each step of the detailing process.

Thread Information