Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    What`s the best way to get what i think is carnuba wax off a MF towel? I used one for applying Gold Class to a car. When I washed it with Dawn, it didn`t do a thing. The towel was so slick, I couldn`t get a good wring out of it. Finally I took it and scrapped it on the side of my garage washbin. You wouldn`t believe the amount of grey matter that came out...gross.

It`s still slick, but not as bad. How do you guys go about this?

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    You can let the towel soak in some dawn and hot water for a little while. If that does not do the trick you can use something like white vinegar, that will also strip the wax because of the acid content.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    i jsut read the post about one grand offering foam applicators for cheap. I just ordered 10 bucks worth, which is their min @ .40 each... I think i`d rather just use and toss the applicators and not have to burn through my MFs... Cleaning residue off MFs are pain too.

Post Thanks / Like

Help! My paint has smallpox!

Ok, I just spent 18 hours on my wifes 2007 black Infiniti G35 over Thanksgiving weekend.

I finished all the polishing, did a dawn carwash, and used Klasse AIO with polycharger on it.

That was on 11/28.

Less than a week later, I wash it with Meguiars NXT ( new product to me ) and notice all these white splotches on the paint.

I bring out some IPA, no luck. I try some more Klasse AIO, without polycharger, no luck. I get out my DA polisher, put on a 4" white pad and M205 and do 6-8 passes in the middle of the trunk, no luck....

The spots are ONLY around certain spots...the rear drivers side door and trunk lid as far as I can tell. My LED light REALLY brings them out to play.

Rear drivers side door area (notice two chips in the paint):

Shot of trunk lid. Notice the marks stop when they get to that next panel.

Shot of trunk lid, AFTER I tried my polishing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Weird. Has the car been repainted in those areas by any chance?
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Weird. Has the car been repainted in those areas by any chance?
    Actually, we bought it used about 2 months ago, so don`t know much... I did find a piece of tape around one of the headlights with black spray paint around it, but the carfax didn`t show anything

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a respray to me. That is solvents not properly mixed in the sprayed paint. Good thing if there is, generally it rises to the surface and a wet sanding usually will remove the defects. Hopefully your thickness can support a full panel wet sand! Try 2500 first see if that works then I try 2000 if 2500 doesnt work. I`ve had success with this before.

Post Thanks / Like
    But they weren`t there a week ago... So they would just pop up in that short a time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Brought about after you polished over the paint. Try wet sanding a small area see if removes it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shizam1 View Post
    Actually, we bought it used about 2 months ago, so don`t know much... I did find a piece of tape around one of the headlights with black spray paint around it, but the car fax didn`t show anything
    The carfax wouldnt show anything if it was done in a small shop somewhere or `backyard` garage. Solvents in paint will release over time shortly after a car has been painted. usually 2 months is long enough. If you anyone with a paint depth gauge try to get a reading on the paint before you work on it. Just a wuestion did you buy it from the dealer or a private person? If it was a dealer I`d definitely bring it back to them for the inspection.
    Michael Glissman

Post Thanks / Like
    I got it from a dealer, they said it was off lease... We already have an appointment with them for Monday for something unrelated, so we will ask what`s going on... Unfortunately I`m not professional and therefore can`t justify spending the money for a paint depth gauge

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, those are some crazy spots your dealing with. Maybe you could hook up with Bryan (gmblack3) to see if he may be able to help resolve this issue :2 cents:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Wow, those are some crazy spots your dealing with. Maybe you could hook up with Bryan (gmblack3) to see if he may be able to help resolve this issue :2 cents:
    Ahem, that would be awesome . I`m really trying to figure out what to do... I`m trying to see if a re-paint is needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shizam1 View Post
    Ok, I just spent 18 hours on my wifes 2007 black Infiniti G35 over Thanksgiving weekend.

I finished all the polishing, did a dawn carwash, and used Klasse AIO with polycharger on it.

That was on 11/28.

Less than a week later, I wash it with Meguiars NXT ( new product to me ) and notice all these white splotches on the paint.

I bring out some IPA, no luck. I try some more Klasse AIO, without polycharger, no luck. I get out my DA polisher, put on a 4" white pad and M205 and do 6-8 passes in the middle of the trunk, no luck....

The spots are ONLY around certain spots...the rear drivers side door and trunk lid as far as I can tell. My LED light REALLY brings them out to play.

Rear drivers side door area (notice two chips in the paint):

Shot of trunk lid. Notice the marks stop when they get to that next panel.

Shot of trunk lid, AFTER I tried my polishing...

I have white splotches look alike yours but a lot smaller and a lot lesser - i don`t know what the exact cause. And that happen to the only repainted rear door panel, but only at a really small section perhaps 15 x 10 cm - the other area on same repainted panel is fine. Buffing the door does help lessen it, but there`s still some left. Since in my case it`s only a few left at vertical position that hard to spot (smaller diameter and only a few left atm) even in bright light, i don`t bother to take em out completly.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a bummer to spend all that time and have this problem!

I saw similar pics after polishing on another forum ......same thing after polishing they appeared after a week or so.

he also tried to polish them out and it did nothing . He had to colorsand to get them out also.

The dealership should have a paint gauge to measure the paint for you and should disclose if those areas were painted or not.

Good luck and hope you can fix it!
    I will miss you TID! R.I.P !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information