Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    If my leather seats have already had cracks and lines, can I still restore them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Give us some more info. If they are severly cracked i dont think you can do anything but...

Post Thanks / Like
    if they`re really dry, you may need to try the Rejuvinator Oil from www.leatherique.com. They also have dye and crack filler for really bad cracks.
    1999 Grand Cherokee Limited V8

1994 Acura Legend GS Sedan

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never used Leatherique myself but I have read and heard of quite a few raving testimonials. Might want to do some more research on that product line. Laters.

Post Thanks / Like

scratches after polishing

Okay, yesterday I polished out an M3(E46) metallic blue. Today I went back to detail the engine and wipe the dust off of it. After I was done with the engine I took my quick detailer and went to rid the car of all the dust. It was in a shop but only a light amount of dust. I took the car outside and noticed only on the top panels(hood, and roof) that I was very lightly marring the paint. I did the exact same thing with a porsche I did for them last week and this didn`t happen. Some cars I have this problem with right after I polish but others I don`t. It is like the surface is sensitive after polishing. I don`t understand why it does that, and why only some cars. The paint was pretty hard also, if it was an infinity I could understand with the super soft clear but not with this car. Any explanation with this?

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ll be reading the answers to this one cuz it happens to me on my jet black bimmer all the time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so I`m not the only one. But you get what I`m sayin, it`s VERY light scratches that are in the direction of how I`m wiping that you can only see in certain light in certain angels. If I never looked under the sun I wouldnt have noticed and I know it wasn`t there yesterday cause I washed it in the sun. But like I said, some cars I get this with and some I don`t.

TOGWT
    Cleaning and Care
    Polishing pads can "load-up" with residues reducing their effectiveness. Don`t let polish residues dry in the pad as dried hardened polish can cause scratches. If you don`t want to stop in the middle of polishing to clean pads, plan on using 2 or4 pads for each polishing step on the average vehicle. Don`t let polish residues dry in the pad.

When you remove a dirty pad from your machine, immediately place it in a bucket of water with a d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner (P21S Total Auto Wash), micro fibre detergent, or use a pad cleaner, to keep the products from drying in the pores. When you are ready to clean them, rinse well, re-wash and leave to air-dry Velcro side up on a grit guard or drying rack

Duospur? Cleaning Tool - this patented tool is effective for "on the fly" cleaning of both foam and wool pads. Features large non-staining nylon spurs for fast cleaning while spinning on the buffer. Also has an abrasive plate on both sides of the tool for reshaping and rebalancing damaged foam pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobilejay View Post
    Ok so I`m not the only one. But you get what I`m sayin, it`s VERY light scratches that are in the direction of how I`m wiping that you can only see in certain light in certain angels. If I never looked under the sun I wouldnt have noticed and I know it wasn`t there yesterday cause I washed it in the sun. But like I said, some cars I get this with and some I don`t.
    yeah and i know the last time i did the wifes bimmer the paint was 100% perfect until i used a dried m/f polishing pad. i had used the same lsp but it had dried and it scratched the clearcoat after i had gotten it the way it should be. i`ll be sure to do it differently this year...

Post Thanks / Like
    TOGWT everything you mentioned I have/do when polishing. The light scratches I am getting once finished with polishing and re-washed. I use a foam gun with dawn/shampoo mix and let it sit on the car for a little bit. When I rinse there is no beading, nothing left on the car.

TOGWT
    How are you removing the polish?

Its possible to induce surface scratches with a soft micro fibre even on `hard` paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    How are you removing the polish?

Its possible to induce surface scratches with a soft micro fibre even on `hard` paint
    I`m wondering the same thing as TOGWT... how`s the polish residue coming off?

I`ve learned, the hard way I guess, that it takes a LOT of microfibers to do the last stage. I probably go thru 25 to 30 towels, at least, with the final polishing stage. It doesn`t matter much before final polishing but at the last stage it`s crucial.

In the past, I`ve occasionally had similar problems until I upped the towel change out rate dramatically... no problems now.

This also seems to be a "polish dependant" thing as well... some polishes come off the surface very nicely and some are stubborn, especially if they`re not all the way thru their cycle... which is another reason for leaving slight marring. If I`m not jeweling, M205 comes off about the best of any polish I`ve used, it`s always very easy to remove. Another reason I love 205.

Are you doing IPA wipedowns with every panel?
    Gary Bohannon

Beaux Art Detail
    Nashville, TN

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary and TOWGT are on the right track - how are you removing, and are you changing microfiber towels alot?

I also go through enough on each car and I dont have enough apparently, to have me have to do a medium sized load of microfiber towels after each Detail; using the majority of them at the remove polishes/waxes stage.

If you have good lighting, and I mean better than flourescent, something like the 1000watt twin halogen lights they sell at Home Depot, etc., then you really cant see the paint as well as you need to, and if you were scratching the surface and watching what you were doing under these lights, you would know within a couple of passes if you are introducing further defects.

Another thing I always try to do is never wipe the new finish dry, except when removing product; after its removed, I always use a QD to wipe it off for any reason.

One more thing I do to lessen the opportunity to scratch is to use air to dry as much as the vehicle as possible, before using microfiber AND a QD to finish drying..

I hear that Metro VAC has introduced a new 8hp Air Force Blaster machine that is made specifically for drying vehicles; comes with heat settings, and is supposed to put out alot of air to help dry your car..
    PAC - Angelo - Jack - do you have this machine available yet? Is it on Sale ??

Good luck with this, I have also had a Jet Black Bimmer, Barry, and know how much fun they are !

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    I see the same thing on occasion. After polishing the car and wiping it down for the final. Next day come out and using a clean MF towel. I ni=otice that sometimes I am introducing new very light scratches in the finish. After changing out towels it does not happen. But when inspecting the towel that was casuing the issues, I find nothing at all wrong. Nothing embedded, nothing visable.

Post Thanks / Like
    No i`m not doing an Ipa wipe down. Once I`m down polishing I foam the car with dawn and let it sit on the car for a few minutes. I waxed the car and removed the wax, the next day I went back and wiped the car down with a quick detailer and mf, that was when I noticed I was putting minor scratches on the paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information