Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

An experiment in using flurescent lights for polishing

I tried this setup for lighting while polishing. The halogens can get hot and I really do not need that much light in most cases. I attached a 4 ft 2 bulb strip to the backside of the halogens tied with wire twists. I may buy another set and mount to a board. I have Brinkman to check for swirls.

I was using a Flex, flat LC Black pad, and PO85RD.

Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a `````in set-up you got there Al, those Halogens all was burn me :cursing:

Maybe you and Angelo could hook up and sell them on PAC`s website

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it! Where did you get the lights?

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a bad idea Al
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea. I think you can actually buy florescents on a stand.

Post Thanks / Like
    The halogens came from Lowes and got the 4 ft light from Home Depot. I just took advantage of the halogen mounting frame (it separates from the base) and used some giant twistees (came from a garden hose) to hold it to the halogen frame. Since the lights do not put out much heat, the twistees worked fine.
    Al

Made in USA

Jason@Deep-Gloss.com
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very creative...

I have found that Flourescent lights are not very good for me when used to detect swirls...

I do find that they are great to use to watch the polish/compound go through the different phases of fracture

Post Thanks / Like
    I like that idea Al! Thanks for posting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Gloss View Post
    Very creative...

I have found that Fluorescent lights are not very good for me when used to detect swirls...

I do find that they are great to use to watch the polish/compound go through the different phases of fracture
    I use it mainly for polish break down. I have a Brinkman to look for correction.
    Al

Made in USA

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also seen these type of lights use in the PDR (Paint Dent Repair) Field. I think they start around 100.00 dollars and up.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    I also seen these type of lights use in the PDR (Paint Dent Repair) Field. I think they start around 100.00 dollars and up.
    You beat me to it, Paintless Dent Repair tool companies sell flourescent lighting on adjustable mobile stands, they come in single bulb or double bulb. I have two of them but have never tried it on paint correction, only when I fix dents.
    Here is a picture of one. They can get pretty pricey too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea. Very ingenious! :clap:

With all the colors of flourescent lights (daylight, bright white, soft, etc) did you try several and have a favorite, or just get lucky?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got some soft whites. I probably should have got daylight type. My original intention was to suspend from the ceiling to see if it worked before I bought more but got lazy....high ceiling and dealing with more wiring.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Bunky,
    Thanks for the great idea!
    If you think about this for a sec. - you actually need BOTH lights in the ceiling and then lights mounted horizontally down the walls of the workplace to really see what you are doing anyway.

Look into a professional paint booth sometime and you will see the entire inside in lights, so you dont miss anything..

I have I think 14 - 4` dual bulb flourescents in my ceiling, all with daylight bulbs and its great but you really can`t see down the sides of the vehicle as good as you want unless you are in the middle of the garage and I cant do that in my garage because of a center post separating the 2 at the front of the garage between the doors.

This is especially important on dark colored paint especially black, to be able to see everything perfectly all the way down to the underneath if possible.

You can get some big ty-wraps from H/Depot or Lowes and even if they are say 1.5` long, you can put 2 together if you need more length, and still get the lights up nice and tight so they dont fall off..

Great idea, thanks again for giving my pea-brain a jump-start !

DanF

Post Thanks / Like
    Bunky
    You know, I have the same lights, except from H/Depot, and when I get back to WA., Im going to see if I can mount the fixture to the bottom stand just below the Halogens, so that now I have a choice of using flourescent, or halogen to check the paint, what about that ?

All you would have to do is rewire the floursecents with a switch in the wire, the kind that roll forward to On and backward to Off, and then be able to operate either light from one direction..

This could be really, really good - thanks again for the engineering idea, maybe someone could put this to practice and sell tons to all the detailers in the world !!

DanF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information