Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country Glass Polishing System

Todd,

A year or so ago I saw the thread you did about the LC Glass Polishing System on another site. I recently purchased the System. When I saw the polishing discs I was not sure which side is the cutting side and which is the side which is attached to the backing plate, both sides stick to the backing plate. One side of the disc is softer and fuzzy, the other is less so. Any advice you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass Cat View Post
    Todd,

A year or so ago I saw the thread you did about the LC Glass Polishing System on another site. I recently purchased the System. When I saw the polishing discs I was not sure which side is the cutting side and which is the side which is attached to the backing plate, both sides stick to the backing plate. One side of the disc is softer and fuzzy, the other is less so. Any advice you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks.
    First and foremost, welcome to the forum! The fuzzy, felt side is used for polsihing, the other side is the hood and loop. If you look at the Velcor attachement side you can see a square pattern, where as the felt side looks much more uniform.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome and your reply. After reading your reply I found the same thread you did about a year ago on here and saw were you said the felt side is for polishing, sorry about not doing a search.:banghead:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome and your reply. After reading your reply I found the same thread you did about a year ago on here and saw were you said the felt side is for polishing, sorry about not doing a search.:banghead:
    No problem, and honestly, the sides can be a little difficult to tell apart when the felt becomes caked down a little bit.

Best of luck and let me know if I can help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished using the LC Glass Polishing System and it worked great. All of the scratch/swirl marks are gone. Not only that but the glass is so much clearer. After wiping off the glass polish with a spray of water, you could tell where you polished and haven`t polished yet. Think of it when polishing a car with some oxidation in how it is easy to tell where you polished and haven`t polished it.

One question Todd, after using the abrading discs and you went to the LC glass polishing pad, did it want to hop all over the place when using it on your rotary. It certainly did for me tonight. Reminded me of when I have used SIP on a high humidity day. The pad did a good job but boy was it a task to keep it under control.

After polishing the glass with the discs and the LC glass polishing pad the glass looked great but did not have a slick feel, instead it just somewhat "sticky". I assumed that menat there was some residue from the polish so I tried to clean it with some glass cleaner but that didn`t get it off so I decided to use to glass and chrome polish from Sonus with a polishing pad to remove the residue and it did just the trick. The glass is as smooth and slick as can be.

From the LC glass polishing pad hopping around some of the polish splattered on my paint. Because the abrasives (can`t remember what they are called) in glass polish are so hard, I think instead of using QD to wipe it off and risking scratching the paint I will instead wash the car tomorrow to be a little safer. After washing the car maybe I will apply some CarLack glass sealant on the newly smooth paint.

Over all the LC Glass Polish system is great, I highly recommend using it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished using the LC Glass Polishing System and it worked great. All of the scratch/swirl marks are gone. Not only that but the glass is so much clearer. After wiping off the glass polish with a spray of water, you could tell where you polished and haven`t polished yet. Think of it when polishing a car with some oxidation in how it is easy to tell where you polished and haven`t polished it.

One question Todd, after using the abrading discs and you went to the LC glass polishing pad, did it want to hop all over the place when using it on your rotary. It certainly did for me tonight. Reminded me of when I have used SIP on a high humidity day. The pad did a good job but boy was it a task to keep it under control.

After polishing the glass with the discs and the LC glass polishing pad the glass looked great but did not have a slick feel, instead it just somewhat "sticky". I assumed that menat there was some residue from the polish so I tried to clean it with some glass cleaner but that didn`t get it off so I decided to use to glass and chrome polish from Sonus with a polishing pad to remove the residue and it did just the trick. The glass is as smooth and slick as can be.

From the LC glass polishing pad hopping around some of the polish splattered on my paint. Because the abrasives (can`t remember what they are called) in glass polish are so hard, I think instead of using QD to wipe it off and risking scratching the paint I will instead wash the car tomorrow to be a little safer. After washing the car maybe I will apply some CarLack glass sealant on the newly smooth paint.

Over all the LC Glass Polish system is great, I highly recommend using it.
    I didn`t have too much of a problem with the pad sticking, although I was keeping the surface wet with water constantly. Was the glass very hot to the touch?

I did have a problem removing some of the dried residue (even with keeping it wet) and used 91% alcohol.

Glad it worked out for you!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried this system as well. With the splatter, I just washed the car. My ten year old windshield looks like new except for the pitting in the glass which can`t be removed.
    My only issue was the backing plate. Since I didn`t have a lot of time and I`m still learning. I did the passengers side first. I worked for about an hour. I was happy with the results. So the next day I fire up the PC and start on the drivers side. After 20 minutes of use. I saw what I thought was dust and then the backing plate tore apart. I contacted LC and a week later I had a new pad.

So I start polishing the drivers side again. After 5 minutes of use I see dusting again. I stop the PC, look at the pad and it`s tearing again. I contacted LC again but haven`t heard anything (it`s been over a month now).

I decided to just use gorilla glue to fix the pad. The pad is holding together but now wobbles pretty pad since the foam expanded. I`m not sure what to do. Is there a better backing plate for 4inch LC pads ?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 99tl View Post
    I tried this system as well. With the splatter, I just washed the car. My ten year old windshield looks like new except for the pitting in the glass which can`t be removed.
    My only issue was the backing plate. Since I didn`t have a lot of time and I`m still learning. I did the passengers side first. I worked for about an hour. I was happy with the results. So the next day I fire up the PC and start on the drivers side. After 20 minutes of use. I saw what I thought was dust and then the backing plate tore apart. I contacted LC and a week later I had a new pad.

So I start polishing the drivers side again. After 5 minutes of use I see dusting again. I stop the PC, look at the pad and it`s tearing again. I contacted LC again but haven`t heard anything (it`s been over a month now).

I decided to just use gorilla glue to fix the pad. The pad is holding together but now wobbles pretty pad since the foam expanded. I`m not sure what to do. Is there a better backing plate for 4inch LC pads ?

Thanks
    If you ordered the kit from us give us a call and we can get you a new backing plate. Also, Lake Country is very good about replacing items, I would give them another ring.

The backing plate I have has never had an issue, are doing to by DA or rotary?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    The backing plate I have has never had an issue, are doing to by DA or rotary?
    My backing plate did fine on my rotary too.

Not to thread jack but I wish I would have thought to clay my car`s glass before polishing. That probably would have made the process faster and more affective. Oh well. My old dumpy truck is up next for glass polishing, I will make sure I do it then.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m using a DA. The highest speed was 5 with medium pressure and moving the machine slow.

Unfortunatley I didn`t buy from PAC. I`ll try contacting LC again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 99tl View Post
    I`m using a DA. The highest speed was 5 with medium pressure and moving the machine slow.

Unfortunatley I didn`t buy from PAC. I`ll try contacting LC again.
    If you can`t get it through LC or don`t hear back, feel free to give Jack a call at PAC. We are a wholesalers of LC and can help you out in a pinch! If you didn`t order it from us then it sounds like we need to earn your business!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    If you can`t get it through LC or don`t hear back, feel free to give Jack a call at PAC. We are a wholesalers of LC and can help you out in a pinch! If you didn`t order it from us then it sounds like we need to earn your business!
    Thanks you guys are awesome.

I`ll definitely have to order something. I would feel really guilty if you replaced a product that I didn`t buy from you. I would have to return the favor somehow.

Thread Information