Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Machine Polishing: Old School vs. New School...

Well, for the record, I`m new school.

New School Guy:

Neatly place 6 pea-size dots evenly on the pad.
    Spray the pad once with a spritz of water.
    Rub the polish into the pad with fingers, in a circular motion.
    Apply polish to the hood, starting with the slowest speed, working up as the polish works into the paint.

Old School Guy:

I have a friend who has been polishing cars for 40 years. Definitely old school. I was over in his garage last week when he was "rubbing out" a `68 Black Corvette.

After wet-sanding, he took a large bottle of 3M Rubbing Compound and squrited a zig-zag pattern all over the hood. If I had measured the zig-zag from one end to the other I`ll be it was 20 feet long!!!

Then he cranks up the pneumatic Rotary all the way with a wool pad that looked like it was a foot in diameter!!!

THERE WAS COMPOUND EVERYWHERE!!!! In the cracks, crevices, wiper blades, windshield, WHAT A MESS!!!Stop

And he went at it like a man possessed!!! I wish I`d been able to catch it on video tape... You guys would be crackin` up!!!:w00t:

Are you an old school guy???
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a old school guy, but there are times I will bring out the PC to make sure it`s running or when there are area`s that are very small that I can`t get too with a rotary.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sure most "real" detailers are New School guys.

Your friend will probably be an Old School guy forever, it`s much easier to teach than to re-teach (especially detailing related stuff).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa View Post
    I`m sure most "real" detailers are New School guys.

Your friend will probably be an Old School guy forever, it`s much easier to teach than to re-teach (especially detailing related stuff).
    There`s an old expression: "You can`t teach an old dog new tricks!"

Someone coined that phrase for a reason.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im new school, my Dad is old school. I let him go at it with my PC one time, it was funny.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m new school but different to that method listed
    six drops is too much

rotary & abrasives
    spray pad with black baron or GI EVP

Apply four drops on the surface, one on the new pad
    prima - spread at 600, go straight to 1500 or 1700 - 1900
    once broken down, spritz of prima slick and back to 1200, 1000 and 800 and 600 to jewel

Menzerna - zenith technique - 600,900,1200,1500,1200,100,900) then 600 for two or more minutes

Once I have done the first section, only two pea sized drops of product are needed on the surface.

six drops each time is way too much

rotary - non abrasive (glare)
    use a dry glare hurricane pad
    cover area with small amount of product.

work area at 1500 to 2500 rpm (glare doesnt create much heat at all)
    then back to 700 to 1000 to flatten the orange peel down

leave residue on and move to paint correction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post

Old School Guy:

I have a friend who has been polishing cars for 40 years. Definitely old school. I was over in his garage last week when he was "rubbing out" a `68 Black Corvette.

After wet-sanding, he took a large bottle of 3M Rubbing Compound and squrited a zig-zag pattern all over the hood. If I had measured the zig-zag from one end to the other I`ll be it was 20 feet long!!!

Then he cranks up the pneumatic Rotary all the way with a wool pad that looked like it was a foot in diameter!!!

THERE WAS COMPOUND EVERYWHERE!!!! In the cracks, crevices, wiper blades, windshield, WHAT A MESS!!!Stop

And he went at it like a man possessed!!! I wish I`d been able to catch it on video tape... You guys would be crackin` up!!!:w00t:

Are you an old school guy???
    I don`t think it`s fair to classify this guy as "Old School". I`d call him an ignorant hack if anything. The amount of time you`ve been buffing has nothing to do with your skill level because this guy has obviously been screwing up paint for 40 years. I`ve been rotary buffing for damn near 20 years, but I 1st learned the right techniques in respect to picking up polish/compound properly with your pad,the right amount of product and its placement on the panel. I also apply 3M compound directly to the panel, but I get zero sling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    I don`t think it`s fair to classify this guy as "Old School". I`d call him an ignorant hack if anything. The amount of time you`ve been buffing has nothing to do with your skill level because this guy has obviously been screwing up paint for 40 years. I`ve been rotary buffing for damn near 20 years, but I 1st learned the right techniques in respect to picking up polish/compound properly with your pad,the right amount of product and its placement on the panel. I also apply 3M compound directly to the panel, but I get zero sling.
    Yeah, I think it`s more about who taught you and what you were taught. I`ve seen guys at body shops to the same thing. Didn`t have the right teacher!!!ut:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhpas it is who taught you, however when I started detailing 15yrs back we did not have the great products, machines and pads we do now a days.

Back then for me I did not tape off cars, used 8" pads on rotaries for polishing all area`s of the vehicle.

Now there are so many choices, pad sizes of 3.5", 4", 5.5", 6.5", 7" etc... Many polishes that remove 1500 grit swirls and scratches and don`t leave haze- the difference in technology is substantial.

I believe the ease of use of todays machines and products makes this a hobby for the masses, where as back in the day you could easily destroy paint with available products i.e. a rotary buffer, wool pad and cuttting compound unless you really knew what you were doing.

a beginer to the sport would be crazy not to be new schooler today, so much easier and definately safer for your paint. Good Old schoolers are an art form in themselves though.

Agree that the old schooler mentioned sounds like a bafoon, he takes no time or care in detailing his vehicles- careless :cornut:

BTW, I used to be like your friend until I got over zealous one day and burned the paint on the hood of my car down to the clear coat

Yes, Ignorance is bliss...

Post Thanks / Like
    Lazzman... Welcome to TID! Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders!:thumbup:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Luster, glad to be here

That story really made me laugh hard, I know some guys like that- though they don`t touch my vehicles anymore.

I love to detail and have learned the wrong way the hard way i.e burnt paint, compound stuck in cracks and emblems, trim faded from polishing over.

Now I am New School and much more careful, makes a huge difference in end result.

I have Flex 3401, PC and Rotary and though the Flex is my new baby I am addicted to the rotary and need to break it out every now and again.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazzman View Post
    Perhpas it is who taught you, however when I started detailing 15yrs back we did not have the great products, machines and pads we do now a days.

Back then for me I did not tape off cars, used 8" pads on rotaries for polishing all area`s of the vehicle.
    Yes, being taught right from wrong definately allowed me to hone my skills early on, but there`s been companies teaching buffer basics for several decades. The biggest thing that`s revolutionized the industry is the polishes/compounds I`d szy. Edge and LC have been making great pads for a while & buffers have always gone in circles. As far as taping, it`s common sence and body shops have been practicing that forever. I think as Painter`s Helpers evolved from the body shop environment into detail shops, the taping off of trim got carried over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazzman View Post
    I ... have learned the wrong way the hard way i.e burnt paint, compound stuck in cracks and emblems, trim faded from polishing over.
    Yup... that`s how most of us learn. But the true test is: How many times will you make that same mistake again?

I`ve been burned on that one too. [I didn`t do that AGAIN did I?]
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, so true.

Did I mention that I used to polish year after year and not tape, and was angry with the build up in the body panel seems and emblems afterward. Polish is also murder on black plastic trim pieces.

Each year I thought taping was a waste of time, ah yes but now I have finally seen the light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pay attention to the end of this trailer for Steve Martin`s "The Jerk". Navin Johnson is definitely kickin` it old skool!

The Jerk (1979) Trailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information