Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Proper Auto Care: Understanding Lake Country Polishing Pads

With so many different pad styles on the market today it can be confusing to choose the design that best suites your needs and style. Proper Auto Care works very closely with Lake Country Manufacturing to develop and carry the highest quality foam polishing pads available. We carry three distinct families of pads: KOMPRESSOR, HI-GLOSS, and OEM, each with their own benefits and flavors.

KOMPRESSOR Pads are Lake Country`s most scientifically advanced pad design. The foam is arched, then cross cut. When the pad is pressed flat on a backing plate the cut `blocks` of foam are forced together. This increases the rigidity of the foam, particularly on the contact surface where it is needed the most. This rigid polishing surface hovers on a pillow of soft, uncompressed foam. This is why machine polishing with these pads has been described as `buffing on a cloud` or `polishing in the air`.

HI-GLOSS Pads are Proper Auto Care`s in house, premium quality polishing pads. These pads are manufactured by Lake Country to their highest standard and price point and are the highest quality traditional pad design available. This family of pads includes both classic flat pad and CCS surface designs. All HI-GLOSS Pads feature our exclusive Constant Pressure ? technology, a beveled or rounded edge, and either a special back cut and raised or recessed mounting surface for pad centering and safety. All HI-GLOSS pads, regardless of size, have special features which make them as home on an random orbital, dual-action,or rotary polisher.

Proper Auto Care`s OEM style pads are patterned after the pad designs used at car manufacturing plants to spot polish defects on the assembly line. These are not the same exact pads; ours are better. At the factory, pads are discarded after they become saturated. Our OEM style pads are built with a high quality glue so that they are machine washable and reusable. We use only the highest quality Lake Country foam available The OEM style pad does not feature beveled edges or back cut backing material. It is an entry level pad made to a higher standard and is perfect for detail shops, mobile detailers, body shops, and enthusiast who demand the highest quality factory precision results in the most cost effective manner.

Polishing Surface- Describes the shape of pad when it is mounted on a backing plate. A beveled edge denotes that the outside edge of the pad is rounded. A beveled edge is ideal for polishing with a rotary. Unless the pad is completely level, which is impossible on curved surfaces, the leading edge of the pad can angle into the paint with too much pressure, causing rotary hologramming or `buffer trails`. A sharp edge does increase the risk damaging the paint on sharp bends and uneven edges. ALL HI-GLOSS pads feature a cut, beveled edge.

Pad Design- Describes unique features in the pad`s foam design. KOMPRESSOR Pad`s are angled, then cross cut or stress cut, which increases the pad`s rigidty when it is pressed flat on a backing plate. Collapsed Cell Structure is a pad design which uses intermittent pockets of foam that have been sealed and can no longer absorb polish. This technology was designed to reduce pad absorption at the OEM level, where thinner pads are typically used. Smooth polishing surfaces are used by our Classic HI-GLOSS pad design, and allow us to pair up the traditional feel of a flat pad with a modern touch.

Backing System- Describes the style of the hook-and-loop attachment to the backing plate. All of our pads feature the highest quality Velcro ? backing bonded with the highest strength industrial glue. A recessed style surrounds the backing plate with foam to keep it from contacting the paint. The safety cut and raised design is exclusive to our smaller HI-GLOSS pads and works with the Constant Pressure ? technology foam to keep the pad flat to the paint while providing barrier of safety around the backing plate. The standard backing style uses material glued across the entire length of the pad. This style doesn`t have the safety features of the other two, but it is less expensive to make, making it the perfect choice for an entry level polishing pad.

Constant Pressure- Describes whether the pad design features Proper Auto Care`s exclusive instant rebound dual layer of foam. This second layer of absorbs the off axis rotation of the polishing layer, resulting in a more level, smoother buff. A second benefit of Constant Pressure ? technology is that it softens the feel of stiffer pads, allowing them to be operated easily on a rotary polisher. The exclusive instant rebound foam also allows us to use the highest quality polishing foams regardless of pad size or design.

Machine Type-
    All of our polishing can be used on any type of machine that accepts their backing system. The HI-GLOSS pads special features make them idea for use on any type of machine. That said, the larger diameter 7.5 inch HI-GLOSS pad and the 8.5 inch KOMPRESSOR pads can bog the action of Random Orbital Polishers such as the Porter Cable 7424. We understand and love the fact that some of our customers prefer using the larger pads on the those machines, but in many cases a more power machine is needed.

Family KOMPRESSOR

Lake Country KOMPRESSOR pads are the most advanced and the most unique polishing pads on the market. By using a technology designed to increase the performance of automotive radial tires, Lake Country has created a pad that behaves and performs like no other pad can. The stiffness of the pad is focused on to the polishing contact surface, while the rest of the foam remains soft. This revolutionary design reduces polish absorption, splatter, surface temperature, and polishing time, while increasing the results. In Lake Country`s private testing they where able to prove that the new KOMPRESSOR pads create the highest gloss they have ever recorded. As a bonus, a new recessed and glued backing allows KOMPRESSOR pads to be machine washed repeatedly

Family HI-GLOSS

Our exclusive Constant Pressure ? foam allows our 7.5? CCS HI-GLOSS pads to use the highest quality pre-polymer white and orange imported foams available from Lake Country Mfg. The pre-polymer foam is impossible to shape with out our dual foam technology. The highest quality foams come standard on all HI-GLOSS pads. Constant Pressure ? technology and a CCS surface make for one smooth running large diameter pad that is at home polishing large flat surfaces as well as navigating the tightest curves. The curved nature of the 7.5? pad allows it to be used with a Random Orbital Polisher, as reducing the pressure will reduce the contact area, but in most cases these pads will perform better with either a Dual-Action Forced Rotation Polisher or Rotary Polisher.

The 6.5? and 4? CCS HI-GLOSS pads set the standard with in traditional polishing pad designs. The Constant Pressure ? technology ensures that the pads run smooth and true, regardless of the machine they are used on, and regardless of the stiffness of the pad. Even the stiff Orange Power Pad foam is a joy to use on a rotary. The CCS design reduces pad absorption and prevents the polish from drying out. A beveled edge design reduces the chances of rotary hologramming and provides a margin of safety when using a random orbital polisher. It`s really a whole new standard. CCS HI-GLOSS pads are available in both 6.5 inch polishing for most s urfaces and 4 inch for spot polishing.

The 6.5? and 4? Classic Flat HI-GLOSS pads are the classic blend of old school design fused with new school technology, like the new retro-car. People where asking and we where listening. When is the flat pad coming back? The answer is now, and it is better then ever. Classic Flat pads are also ideal for use with polishes that feature the new super micro abrasives because they increase the total surface area of the pad, which reduces polishing times. It has never been better to be old school.

Family OEM

The 6.5? and 5.25? O.E.M. Style from Proper Auto Care are our hard working, rough and tough, blue collar polishing pads. Built with the highest quality materials, they are reliable and durable, showing up for work every day and producing stellar results. These pads are a bang for the buck leader and produce high quality factory level results, with out the bells and whistles of our HI-GLOSS pads. If you are doing your final polishing step with a rotary buffer and an OEM Style Pad we recommend using a smaller backing plate and medium pressure to fold the sharp edges of the pad off the paint to reduce the hologramming effect.

Choosing the right pad for you

The reason that education is so important is because it is ultimately impossible to pick the best pad for your style. Machine polishing is as much an art form as it is a mechanical process, and thus each persons style and preferences are going to dictate the ultimate answer. That said said use each pad style does have unique pro`s and con`s.

KOMPRESSOR:
    Pro`s: Smooth buffing feel and super high quality results.
    Con`s: The unique polishing feel is a matter of preference.
    Verdict: The smooth action is ideal for new polishers or for experienced detailers looking for something new.

CCS 7.5? HI-GLOSS curved polishing pad
    Pro`s: Very forgiving of machine tilt. Unique curved edge allows the large pad to work well around tight curves and flat surfaces.
    Con`s: Can bog down less powerful machines such as a Porter Cable 7424.
    Verdict: Ideal pad design for rotary polisher users who need more versatility in a pad design. Also idea for beginners on a rotary polisher, as the rounded resists steering from accidental pad tilt.

CCS 6.5? HI-GLOSS polishing pad
    Pro`s: Highest quality, most advanced traditional pad design on the market. Equally suited to all polisher types.
    Con`s: Can not reach all of the tightest spots
    Verdict: The ideal pad design for people who are learning to polish one style of polisher but are looking to purchase more machines in the future. All HI-GLOSS pads have features that allow a beginning polisher to get results equal to more experienced users. The design of the pad will work perfectly on all machine types and allow the user to grow along with it. Also perfect for experienced users looking for a better design.

Classic Flat 6.5? HI-GLOSS polishing pad
    Pro`s: The same great features as the CCS pads, but with a classic flat pad surface.
    Con`s: Can not reach the tightest of spots.
    Verdict: The ideal pad design for those who appreciate all of the features of our HI-GLOSS pads but want a more classic feel. The increased surface area of smooth buffing surface makes these pads ideal for use with the newer, non-diminishing abrasives found in some of the newer polishes.
    CCS 4? HI-GLOSS Pads:
    Same features as the 6.5? version, including a beveled edge, Constant Pressure ? technology, and a safety raised backing surface. Use to increase the polishing action of Random Orbital Polishers such as a Porter Cable 7424.

Classic Flat 4? HI-GLOSS Pads:
    Same features as the 6.5? version, including a beveled edge, Constant Pressure ? technology, and a safety raised backing surface. Use to increase the polishing action of Random Orbital Polishers such as a Porter Cable 7424.

CCS 6.5? or 5.25? OEM Pads:
    Pro`s: Feature the highest quality Lake Country pads to delivery amazing results.
    Con`s: These pads do not have the exclusive features of the HI-GLOSS pads, so they have a slightly different feel. They provide less margin for error.
    Verdict: These factory style low profile pads are great for experienced users who work in volume and need a low cost alternative with out sacrificing results.

How Polishing Pad Diameter Effects Different Polishing Machines.

One last thing to consider in pad design is how the actual diameter of the pad effects.

Random Orbital Polisher: On a machine polisher such as Porter Cable 7424 or Meguiar`s G110, the limiting factor is the actual power of the machine. Using larger pads on the these machines actually reduces the amount of polishing power the machine has. The increased contact area of the pad can bog the motor down. Using a smaller pad will increase the power the machine has by reducing the contact area and focusing the power into a smaller area. Note that CCS pads have roughly 15% less contact area then a similar sized Classic Flat polishing pad, and thus act 15% smaller.

Dual-Action Forced Rotation or Rotary Polisher: A larger pad is more aggressive on a machine that has a forced rotation because machine power is not a limiting factor. The larger the pad, the greater the pad velocity at an identical RPM. A smaller pad is less aggressive for the same reason.

In most cases a 6.5? polishing pad is the ideal size for most applications.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Great write up on the pads Todd, if anyone ever had questions about what pad to use the answers are all there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Todd, as usual, very informative and educational. I was about to order more pads and now I know what I need for the job that I`m doing. One Question, I do a lot of RV`s, mostly Gel coated Trailer`s and 5th wheeler`s. Based upon your education thread, Gel coat is different and PAC has a great tab for that arena. Can I use your information about the pads and apply them to Gel Coat??

Post Thanks / Like
    Yet another extremely informative post that must have taken a lot of time to compile! Excellent work and thanks for taking the time. It will be a great reference source for the members here. :notworthy:

Post Thanks / Like
    another one for the notebook. you do very informative write ups todd.... thanks and keep em coming

Post Thanks / Like
    Great write up Todd. I did not know there were 4" Kompressor pads available. And I just bought a crap load of new 4" CCS pads!:cursing:
    Oh well, I`m sure they`ll do just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    GREAT THREAD!

Thanks Todd :cornut:

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great post! Thanks for making it a sticky. I had no idea there are three types of pads. You learn something new everyday.

I have a request. Could you please make another sticky for pad cleaning and care? From what I`ve seen on other boards, there is at least one person about every week or so that starts a thread, wanting to know how to clean their pads. By having a pad care sticky, you could cut the amount of repetitive threads. You could make it either its own category or a sub-section under the machine polishing section. Just my .02 pesos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBumper View Post
    This is a great post! Thanks for making it a sticky. I had no idea there are three types of pads. You learn something new everyday.

I have a request. Could you please make another sticky for pad cleaning and care? From what I`ve seen on other boards, there is at least one person about every week or so that starts a thread, wanting to know how to clean their pads. By having a pad care sticky, you could cut the amount of repetitive threads. You could make it either its own category or a sub-section under the machine polishing section. Just my .02 pesos.

It will be up by tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Excelent information! You answerd all my questions on these pads in one post! Thanks you so much for taking the time to do this and I cant wait to read the one on pad cleaning

John

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tucson buffer;5746]Todd, as usual, very informative and educational. I was about to order more pads and now I know what I need for the job that I`m doing. One Question, I do a lot of RV`s, mostly Gel coated Trailer`s and 5th wheeler`s. Based upon your education thread, Gel coat is different and PAC has a great tab for that arena. Can I use your information about the pads and apply them to Gel Coat??[/QUOTE]

Yes the information will work fine for Gel-Coat`s

Quote Originally Posted by michakaveli View Post
    GREAT THREAD!

Thanks Todd :cornut:
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBumper View Post

Rusty, I so dropped the ball. I will do it ASAP, detailing has been keeping me VERY busy. Sorry man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John M. View Post
    Excelent information! You answerd all my questions on these pads in one post! Thanks you so much for taking the time to do this and I cant wait to read the one on pad cleaning

John
    John it was my pleasure. I will get the pad cleaning one up as soon as the opportunity arises. Would you rather have an `offical recommendation` or how I do it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post

John it was my pleasure. I will get the pad cleaning one up as soon as the opportunity arises. Would you rather have an `offical recommendation` or how I do it?
    Really either will be great. Im sure everyone could benefit from either, or maybe if its not to hard a combination of both. Like kind of throwing in the things that you have found to be of great benefit that wouldnt be in the `official recommendation` type thing.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John M. View Post
    Really either will be great. Im sure everyone could benefit from either, or maybe if its not to hard a combination of both. Like kind of throwing in the things that you have found to be of great benefit that wouldnt be in the `official recommendation` type thing.

John
    John, things have been crazy busy with detailing. I will try to get this done on Saturday which is my only day off from detailing for the next couple weeks (until July 10th). Thank you for your patience :thumbup:

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Great post Todd and thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information