TOGWT

Paint Surface Inspection

Surface Filling / Masking Abilities

Every polish that uses oils or polymers for lubrication will? fill? surface marks that are not removed and mask defects. If you don?t remove the lubricating oils with a wipe-down then you are by passing the post polish inspection and the oils left behind will mask the defects.

Note ? some polishes contain specific products (i.e. Kaolin (china clay) or Diatomaceous earth) to mask surface marks (evidenced by excess dusting) this type of filler will also be removed by the IPA wipe-down process.

Wipe-down after Polishing/ Compounding

Wiping the finish with a Micro fibre cloth you may feel that the swirls have been removed, only to have them reappear when applying the final wax or sealant. After polishing a section, mist and wipe to fully remove residues and reveal the true paint finish.
    a)Polymer sealants will not form a proper monocular bond with a paint surface if there are any oils present and it will affect durability.

b)Silicone will cause surface smearing and will affect durability

Wipe-Down Process

Anhydrous Isopropyl alcohol [Molecular formula C3H7OH: Proper Name: Isopropanol] contains approx. 99% isopropyl alcohol, is a colourless liquid with a pleasant odour. It is highly flammable. After the paint surface has been subjected to a chemical cleaning its protective layer (s) have been removed and the paint surface left without protection, so it is very important that a wax or polymer protection be applied immediately.

Methodology - Fill a fine misting spray bottle with a solution of 1:1Anhydrous Isopropyl alcohol / distilled water, spray the paint surface, and agitate before wiping the paint surface with a clean, dry 100% cotton micro fibre towel( if it flashes too quickly (hot surface or environment, use a higher dilution rate)

Note ? a strong concentration of alcohol (or a strong solvent) will fill the paint micro pores and cause the majority of paints to swell and may be detrimental to its durability

Surface Inspection

Inspect your work under full sunlight or purpose-made paint inspection lamps; holograms, fine marring hooks, etc. are very difficult to see under man made light. There`s nothing more frustrating than having to strip off your LSP and re-do. General lighting - double head with 2-300W halogen bulbs in each

1.Brinkmann REI - most LED?s merely glow, but Rebel`s highly efficient, finely focused lens casts a 40-ft. beam of far-reaching light. Fish-eye-shaped lens focuses the light from the single white LED bulb into a bright, consistent beam; no dark spot in the beam`s centre, the LED bulb is nearly indestructible and draws very little power, greatly extending battery life; runs on two AA batteries, included, a tough ABS plastic is armoured with thick, no-slip rubber grips Push-button on/off switch inset in the back cap REI

2.The 3M Sun Gun? Colour Matching Light - can be used throughout the refinish process, the percentage of light vs. natural day light is CRI (Colour Rendering Index) = 99.35%: identify paint defects such as swirl marks, burn through, sand scratches, etc., which will reduce the chance of costly re-work- TCP Global or Autobarn

3.Infratech CM5300 ? Colour Matcher - this light is a great alternative to the 3M Sun Gun. Runs on mains electricity not batteries, a must have tool and it?s also an inexpensive investment. High Colour Temperature 5300K Duplicates Natural sunlight under any condition, high power 70 Watts, large coverage area, hand held lightweight, momentary "On/Off" switch, identify pre-or-post paint correction / renovation defects, eliminate re-doing or call-backs ?Infratech

4.Coleman LED Rechargeable Spotlight - will run 1.5 hours on a full charge- or continuously when plugged into the included 120V/12V adapter. The spotlight sheds a super-bright 500 lumens of light with 3 XR-E LED?s. Designed to be durable and shock-resistant, the spotlight includes a side switch for easy hands-free continuous operation. 530 Lumens, operates 120V & 12V adapter (included), LED?s keep spotlight cool to the touch, Integrated hanging feature for multi-functional use, comfortable non-slip grip, includes side switch or continuous ON operation, runs continuously when plugged into the adapter.

5.Digital Microscope - this enables you to analyze and capture paint surface defects, the unit?s interchangeable lenses provides it with tremendous versatility. With the 0-10X lens, it becomes a high-quality video camera. Magnification can be increased to a startling 200X power in a matter of seconds (50x seems to be a good magnification for detailing work) the lens mount is an industry-standard C-Mount that will accept third-party lenses. ProScope HR? CSI Science Level 1, includes- 1/0-10x Lens, 1/50x Lens, 1/Carrying Case ProScope? HR Digital Microscope

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Note ? a strong concentration of alcohol (or a strong solvent) will fill the paint micro pores and cause the majority of paints to swell and may be detrimental to its durability

Amazing. Are any of your articles tested/proven or are they an ongoing human catalog of the latest posts on all the forums. Director

TOGWT
    I try to share the knowledge and experience gained from almost five decades of detailing, and the insights from my profession as a Chemical Engineer, as well as the research I`ve carried out to show you the reader, various ways, utilizing various skills and experience levels, on how to retrieve the original or better appearance / finish to your vehicles bodywork and its interior and how to preserve and maintain it, along with product recommendations and there correct application methods.

I?ve used these methods to detail a numerous and diverse range of vehicles and this collection of answers to detailing problems and technical information are the results of that experience, used for about five plus years to answer questions on various forums, I then decided to put all the information together in a series of articles and publish it as a definitive in-depth guide to automobile detailing.

They are not just a ?How-To?, but also a ?Why? it works, as well as an explanation of the scientific terminology, I try to write in a way that helps the reader to understand not only "How" to do something, but "Why" they are doing it, along with the technical, scientific facts along with any relevant chemical information, with that in mind I probably respond with more detail than some think is necessary, but if you?ve read any of my forum posts / threads you`ll already understand just what I mean.

Although the methodologies are new to some most have been around for longer than I care to remember (standard abrasives were replaced with diminishing micro milled abrasives (now the ?latest abrasives are just like the standard abrasives i.e. non-diminishing abrasives that require pressure as opposed to friction to work) wool pads (mops) were replaced with reticulated foam, now we are using a hybrid, foamed wool, detailer?s clay has been around for twenty years, yet for some, just like micro fibre and nanotechnology coatings its ?new technology?.

I?m certainly not a subject-matter expert, much less a guru; if you find a mistake or know of a better method to solve the problem please share it as I?m always willing to learn. Because the more I learn, the more I realize what I don?t know. Then at some point, I hope to have learned enough to realize, that I know nothing at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I?m certainly not a subject-matter expert, much less a guru; if you find a mistake or know of a better method to solve the problem please share it as I?m always willing to learn. Because the more I learn, the more I realize what I don?t know. Then at some point, I hope to have learned enough to realize, that I know nothing at all.
    I really think your an asset to the forum community, and please forgive me if I come off shrewd when I constantly "pick you brain" when going after answers. As you`ve said before "my Chemical Engineering background helps me to ?see through? most mfg claims and ?hype? terms".

I`m in search for answers much like you and everyone else, but lack the chemical training that can allow for better understanding. It seems as if the new flavor or breakthrough of the moment is that straight, un-cut alcohol will "swell" paint. I`d like to know (in layman?s terms) how this could occur and why detailers should avoid this practice that has gone unscathed for several years. Case in point Truth In Detailing.

TOGWT
    Having established that water-based Isocyanate urethane paint is porous and is also elastic; so certain substances can expand the paint when they permeate and fill the micro pores, this will also cause an increase in its tensile strength and elongation (elasticity) the paint?s surface temperature will also affect its composition and thickness, which may temporarily mask paint surface defects.

Alcohol (in the form of Isopropyl) will cause paint molecules to swell, especially when a catalyst, like heat (from a foam pads friction) is added, this affects its composition and thickness, which may temporarily mask paint surface defects.

Solvents can have a negative effect on urethane paint, especially Aromatic hydrocarbons, as they are the most toxic compounds; found in petroleum products and include such substances as para-xylene, benzene, toluene, ethyl benzene, and xylene, which are all volatile organic compounds (VOC), which I think you allured to in an earlier question ( the content of PrepSol and other paint cleaners)

[I`d like to know (in layman?s terms) how this could occur and why detailers should avoid this practice that has gone unscathed for several years]

Detailer?s, more correctly those who take the paint renovation / correction process to 95%+ to perfect its finish need to ensure that their paint correction is not due to any temporary masking (i.e. paint swelling that closes any micro gaps or scratches in the paint film surface or any fillers (i.e. Kaolin (China clay) or Diatomaceous earth or any (polymer) oils or silicone used for surface lubrication) formulated in the polish.

To this end a wipe-down process is used after the polishing process

Post Thanks / Like
    Detailer?s, more correctly those who take the paint renovation / correction process to 95%+ to perfect its finish need to ensure that their paint correction is not due to any temporary masking
    So, if solvents can swell paint(epecially when it may be swelled already from the polishing process), why not allow the paint to temporarily cool and wipe down or wash with an alkaline cleaner (APC)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Surface Filling / Masking Abilities

Every polish that uses oils or polymers for lubrication will? fill? surface marks that are not removed and mask defects. If you don?t remove the lubricating oils with a wipe-down then you are by passing the post polish inspection and the oils left behind will mask the defects.

A lot of folks dont do IPA wipedowns and they still actually remove swirls.

by the way, you must have strong fingers, it seems a lot of your posts are very long and detailed. helpful though.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoZ71 View Post

by the way, you must have strong fingers, it seems a lot of your posts are very long and detailed. helpful though.
    How can they be sure they are `actually removing swirls` if they are not inspecting hte bare paint?

TOGWT
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoZ71 View Post

a) As TH0001 has stated - without a wipe-down process how do you know if you have removed any fillers, lubricating oils, silicones, etc from the surface that maybe `masking` the true finish?

b) the answers are taken/adapted from copyrighted articles / a detailing book, this was noted at the bottom of the articles thus - An extract from ?Organic Solvents (Oxygenated and Hydrocarbon) ? one of a series of in-depth ? detailing articles by TOGWT ? although some of these ? references have been removed by Admin (I have asked them for their reasoning - see post "Copyright and Intellectual Property")

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    So, if solvents can swell paint(epecially when it may be swelled already from the polishing process), why not allow the paint to temporarily cool and wipe down or wash with an alkaline cleaner (APC)?

Any thoughts??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Hello? Is anyone out there? Sleep

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It`s very quiet here, I`m tried............Sleep
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Thread Information