Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Todd! And I think you ought to write a book too, I know I have a sort of loose leaf one with all the advice you`ve helped me with over the years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma-787 View Post
    ...Fantastic charts - but how do we tell what hardness of paint we have?

Thanks!
    good question... i was wondering the same thing about my volvo.

Post Thanks / Like
    My hat is off! Though I cling to my PC, it`s nice to gauge my capabilities vs. what the pro`s can do. There`s no discounting how much the operator`s experience factors into the equation. I look forward to more articles. Thanks!

Jack

TOGWT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma-787 View Post
    ...Fantastic charts - but how do we tell what hardness of paint we have? Thanks!
    Paint Hardness
    Is defined as the ability of a material to resist local deformation (or penetration) from externally applied pressure, and is directly related to its tensile strength; stronger materials are generally harder. The enamel paint finishes on vehicles from the 50?s and 60?s era were as tough as porcelain.

But rightly due to environmental concerns, those high percentage petroleum based paints have been generally superseded, resulting in the softer water-based paint finishes of today and the unavoidable orange-peel seen on many new and re-painted vehicles.

Today?s paints, unfortunately, rank somewhere near the bottom of the scale of hardness, especially single coat black / red paint the exception being white single stage and Ceramiclear, when compared to all the materials your paint can possibly come in contact with (always bear that in mind).

An adaptation of that hardness scale( 1 - 10);
    Talc = 1
    Carbon Black [black paint pigmentation] = 2
    Glass = 6
    Titanium dioxide [white paint pigmentation] = 7
    Diamond =10

Hard and soft are relative terms; you can scratch the hard surface of a vehicles paint with a soft towel by the application of enough pressure. Both pressure and mechanical stress are defined as force per unit area. These two forces are the subject of Newton`s third law of motion; the law of reciprocal actions [: to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction]

How can a hard clear coat be so easily scratched? A force acts through a body that has a surface area; if the surface area is really small while maintaining an equal force, the pressure becomes astronomical and the object under pressure capable of penetrating the surface of an otherwise tough material. That?s why a micro fine thread in an otherwise soft towel will scratch your paint and the same reason a mosquito can penetrate a rhino hide with its proboscis (stinger).

Note - Heat makes solids softer; cold makes them harder. Keep that in mind when detailing (especially polishing) your car in the sun or on a really, really hot day.

Hard / Soft Clear Coats:
    Each vehicle assembly plant uses different clear coat paint from one of three major paint suppliers; PPG, DuPont, and BASF products and each of these companies have a range of several differing paints

1. Some vehicle manufacturers have more than one plant assembling the same model of a vehicle; each plant will often use a different supplier for the clear coat paints.

2. Each assembly plant may elect to use one of several OEM paints from PPG, DuPont or BASF clear coat product lines.

3. There are other factors that will have an effect; the composition of the clear coat used (single, duel component, or powder) this generally reflects the trade off the OEM is prepared to accept between scratch resistance and gloss level considered acceptable, oven drying time and its temperature, the relevant age (i.e. how long ago was the paint applied) spot panel repairs (refinish) that are carried out either at the assembly plant or the rail head or port of entry. Soft paint could also be caused if it was polished before the paint had time to fully cure

This is also true of imports assembled in the US; usually one paint supplier is approved for all plants; however each plant may modify the application/bake process in order to meet production demand. This may also affect which has the harder or softer clear.

Diagnosis is the key, not guess work; before deciding on what products to use ascertain the paint surface conditions

Extract from ?Hard and Soft Paints? one of a series of in-depth detailing articles by TOGWT ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by glfahlc View Post
    i`m making a loose leaf book on all your stuff todd, just for reference sake... this is awesome as i am a menzerna man... keep it coming dude.:thumbup:
    Thats funny. I do the same thing with threads like this. Thanks for your effort Todd...we all greatly appreciate it!
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

TOGWT
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Others have written encyclopedias on how to build a watch when you want to know the time.
    Each to their own, for some the CliffsNotes version is sufficient, others prefer a more in-depth explanation.

I would add to the comment posted earlier, the best graphic explanation of Menz polishes todate- Kudos Todd / PAC

Post Thanks / Like
    Todd,
    Thanks for the informative post. Good reading/reference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where does Power Finish rate in the charts?

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It`s between PO91E and 106FF/FA.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it finish down as well as 106FA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Superb writing and charts Todd!

p.s. $100 bet says i break the 40,000 polishing grit barrier x2 :p

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool Todd! I wish I had seen this before my last order. I thought FPII was suposed to finish off better than PO85RD on soft paint so I went ahead and ordered some for my car....O-well, it can never hurt to have another polish laying around.
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume the green pad mentioned is the light polishing one...

Al

Made in USA

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Very cool Todd! I wish I had seen this before my last order. I thought FPII was suposed to finish off better than PO85RD on soft paint so I went ahead and ordered some for my car....O-well, it can never hurt to have another polish laying around.
    You should call me at PAC, before ordering. That way maybe you might something..............Angelo
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Termigator View Post
    Does it finish down as well as 106FA?
    No, P203 finishes down very nice, but not quite that nice. In my experience it really needs a finishing step for all out perfection.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information