Post Thanks / Like

Extra small detailing pads/packing plate kits?

Does anyone offer a kit for small pads and backing plates that I can use with my makita rotary ? I can never polish pillars or around headlights/under tail lights on certain cars because you simply need a small pad to do so.

Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Extra small detailing pads/packing plate kits?

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Does anyone offer a kit for small pads and backing plates that I can use with my makita rotary ? I can never polish pillars or around headlights/under tail lights on certain cars because you simply need a small pad to do so.

Thanks !

I just buy the Lake Country Backing Plates all the way down to 1 inch, and their pads.. I don`t know if they ever offer a kit.. The 4 inch or the 3 inch backing plate and appropriate pads are all I have ever needed on the A, B, and C pillars..

And yes, all I ever use is my Makita 9237 Rotary... I put a small spacer on the end of my Makita and that also helps me get into smaller places easier and See what is going on there without the machine head in the way.. I think Optimum at this store here offers that small spacer...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

The spindle thread size is 5/8"x 11-UNC (11 threads/inch as Unified National Coarse standard).

I do think the new Griot`s Garage GR3 mini-rotary has the same size spindle thread, and they do offer a kit that has three different sized backing plates diameters (1" 2", & 3") and the pads to go on them. I would think, though, that the ONLY size you would be interested in is the 3" diameter.

One thing about smaller pad diameters is that the outer edge speed (IE, travel or distance is covers as it rotates based on the revolutions per minute of the rotary motor spindle) is much less than that of the 6" inch pads you are probably accustomed to using. Why should that matter?
    To generate the same travel speed or velocity at the edge of a 6" pad (in feet per minute) at 600 RPMs would require 1,200 RPM to achieve the same edge travel speed on a 3" pad. (Circumference = diameter X 3.14159, the numeric value of PI). Edge speed develops heat from the friction between the substrate and the pad foam type along with the compound or polish being used AND the pressure applied by the user of the rotary on the pad and backing plate. Also, consider that a smaller backing plate will deflect or bend less than a larger diameter, meaning more of the pressure placed by the user of the rotary is transferred more to the edge of plate than is"lost" to deflection in a larger diameter backing plate. Which, by reason, is ONLY true if the rotary and its backing is tilted slightly as its rotating in its use, which may happen when trying to correct hard-to-reach surfaces are not exactly flat. Then again, you do not need this lesson in math and thermodynamic physics, as you know HOW to use a rotary already.
    I say this because plastics and composites do not transfer heat like metal and it is easy to burn through the soft-bumper paint or coating on black plastic door pillars covering them as one corrects and polishes with a rotary (or any type of buffing machine for that matter!) if you are not aware of this "thermodynamic" property. More-than-you-really-wanted-to-know. (MTYRWTK)
    GB detailer
    Likes Bobh591, Rsurfer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks !

Try searching for "micro polisher extension kit". Several companies sell flexible shafts that attach to rotary polishers, with all size pads and bobs. There are also extension rods (some kits include them) to allow more space between the tool and work surface.

I just purchased one of the shaft kits for my Diavolo cordless polisher, but have not put it to use yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. There are some options I found on ag as well. The smallest pads I have are 5.5 (and only ones) I am able to do 90 percent of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

​Ebay, have them, well worth the money and work just fine.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Yea lake county I have the same makita rotary and use the lug nut extension and it works well.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    The spindle thread size is 5/8"x 11-UNC (11 threads/inch as Unified National Coarse standard).

I do think the new Griot`s Garage GR3 mini-rotary has the same size spindle thread, and they do offer a kit that has three different sized backing plates diameters (1" 2", & 3") and the pads to go on them. I would think, though, that the ONLY size you would be interested in is the 3" diameter.

One thing about smaller pad diameters is that the outer edge speed (IE, travel or distance is covers as it rotates based on the revolutions per minute of the rotary motor spindle) is much less than that of the 6" inch pads you are probably accustomed to using. Why should that matter?
    To generate the same travel speed or velocity at the edge of a 6" pad (in feet per minute) at 600 RPMs would require 1,200 RPM to achieve the same edge travel speed on a 3" pad. (Circumference = diameter X 3.14159, the numeric value of PI). Edge speed develops heat from the friction between the substrate and the pad foam type along with the compound or polish being used AND the pressure applied by the user of the rotary on the pad and backing plate. Also, consider that a smaller backing plate will deflect or bend less than a larger diameter, meaning more of the pressure placed by the user of the rotary is transferred more to the edge of plate than is"lost" to deflection in a larger diameter backing plate. Which, by reason, is ONLY true if the rotary and its backing is tilted slightly as its rotating in its use, which may happen when trying to correct hard-to-reach surfaces are not exactly flat. Then again, you do not need this lesson in math and thermodynamic physics, as you know HOW to use a rotary already.
    I say this because plastics and composites do not transfer heat like metal and it is easy to burn through the soft-bumper paint or coating on black plastic door pillars covering them as one corrects and polishes with a rotary (or any type of buffing machine for that matter!) if you are not aware of this "thermodynamic" property. More-than-you-really-wanted-to-know. (MTYRWTK)
    That`s actually a good thing as there is less chance of burning through the clear at slower speed as the pad gets smaller. That`s why some people like the 6 inch pads on a rotary vs 8 inch pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I just buy the Lake Country Backing Plates all the way down to 1 inch, and their pads.. I don`t know if they ever offer a kit.. The 4 inch or the 3 inch backing plate and appropriate pads are all I have ever needed on the A, B, and C pillars..

And yes, all I ever use is my Makita 9237 Rotary... I put a small spacer on the end of my Makita and that also helps me get into smaller places easier and See what is going on there without the machine head in the way.. I think Optimum at this store here offers that small spacer...
    Dan F
    Would this one work for a spacer ?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Would this one work for a spacer ?

Striker,
    Yes, those 2 will work.. Just know that the longer the spacer is, the more attention needed to keep it from wanting to move away from the target surface when its rotating..
    The only one i have ever needed and used is this one -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/buff...l#.YQB3tL2pH3g
    It has been just long enough for me to do what I want it to do..
    For other places like say those deep door cups, I would rather just put some Meguiars105 on a clean white towel, add a little moisture, and with 1 or 2 fingers, rub this in the area and it always comes out beautiful..
    I do not want to risk putting a pad in there on an extension and accidently burning paint off the -edge- of the door cup where again, there is always, less paint on any edge..
    Dan F

Thread Information