Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes pads no good for vertical panels?

I have seen a lot of people who start using the Rupes 3" pads on their Mini polisher say they have a hard time maintaining pad rotation. I even had some issues, but I eventually got the hang of it.

Even still today I`m tweaking my approach to accommodate rotation, Especially with the Duetto using non Rupes pads. For instance, just yesterday using Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber pads, and they wanted to stall. Could also be that I have no idea how much grease to use to lube the shroud... But when I switched to one of the microfiber pads the thing spun like mad.

If you feel up to it, and have the time to mess with it try again. You will when that figure it out. You`ll be able to assess pressure, and angle, and how it factors into performance. You`ll see where just the slightest tweak of the wrist can make a mile of difference.

Or.

Just continue with the CarPro pad..
    Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

noorth:
    Are your referencing a Rupe`s 3" pad that is actually closer to being 4" in diameter or 100mm, because I do not see that Rupe`s makes an actual 3" pad. If that is the case, then yes, a 4" pad on a 3" backing plate is, indeed, "too big" as you have described it.
    This would also explain what is happening on vertical panels as the edges tend to "fold over" the backing plate more easily on the vertical panels than the horizontal panels as you use more mechanical pressure (arm strength) on the buffer itself to "hold" it up to panel as you move, rather than just letting the buffer itself rest on flat, horizontal panel and moving it with lighter mechanical pressure as you move the buffer in whatever back-and-forth polishing pattern you use.

Even a 3-1/2" (89 mm) diameter pad will "fit" better on a 3" backing plate. I am "guessing" your CarPro pads may be 85mm in diameter, which is about 3-11/32 ", which is "closer" to the 3" as you call them.

My suggestion? Measure both the Rupes and CarPro pads with a ruler or digital /veneer caliper (some call it a micrometer) and get back to us Autopians with your measurement data. That might clear up some of this "misunderstanding" by myself of the term "too big".
    GB detailer
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    noorth:
    Are your referencing a Rupe`s 3" pad that is actually closer to being 4" in diameter or 100mm, because I do not see that Rupe`s makes an actual 3" pad. If that is the case, then yes, a 4" pad on a 3" backing plate is, indeed, "too big" as you have described it.
    This would also explain what is happening on vertical panels as the edges tend to "fold over" the backing plate more easily on the vertical panels than the horizontal panels as you use more mechanical pressure (arm strength) on the buffer itself to "hold" it up to panel as you move, rather than just letting the buffer itself rest on flat, horizontal panel and moving it with lighter mechanical pressure as you move the buffer in whatever back-and-forth polishing pattern you use.

Even a 3-1/2" (89 mm) diameter pad will "fit" better on a 3" backing plate. I am "guessing" your CarPro pads may be 85mm in diameter, which is about 3-11/32 ", which is "closer" to the 3" as you call them.

My suggestion? Measure both the Rupes and CarPro pads with a ruler or digital /veneer caliper (some call it a micrometer) and get back to us Autopians with your measurement data. That might clear up some of this "misunderstanding" by myself of the term "too big".
    That`s correct the face of the rupes pad is 4 inch. Maybe i`m just nitpicking. I done 2 more doors since but i just used my G15 and rupes yellow w/3D1. I ran it on 4.5 and had a good session. I have to remind myself to keep my body close to the polisher.

The face of the carpro pad is a little over 3 inches according to my tape measure. I just find it easier to maintain rotation. The carpro pad is nice. Kinda looks like the LC HDO pads to me. I have the orange one.

I also started to feather my G15 in tight spots so now it seems i`m don`t need my 3 inch polisher as much. I prefer the G15 - seems to get the job done faster, i believe my honeymoon period is over for the G8 lol

Thanks for all the replies autopians! Its pretty cool.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, if this information had been included earlier in the thread it would have been helpful to understanding the problem.
    Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I still don’t find it to big for the side pillars. The PXE 80 spins them just fine. Better than the LC flat white pad.

I haven’t tried the carpro pad but I’ll take a Rupes yellow any day of the week for its versatility and finish.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

People rave about the Rupes Yellow and it is a good solid pad. I`m not sure if Scholl Spider pads are available there but they are absolute gamechangers for me anyway... combine the multi dimensional gains of wool and the finishing ability of foam - lovely to use, never get warm never mind hot, take a lot of product to cake up, incredibly durable and easy to clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    People rave about the Rupes Yellow and it is a good solid pad. I`m not sure if Scholl Spider pads are available there but they are absolute gamechangers for me anyway... combine the multi dimensional gains of wool and the finishing ability of foam - lovely to use, never get warm never mind hot, take a lot of product to cake up, incredibly durable and easy to clean.
    Their ninja pads look really sharp. The koch chemie pads look great too. I`m settled with my pads for now though. I might try the scholls pads in the future, love their new bottles too for S20 and S2 black i believe its called. Sharp labeling. So many good products.....

Lot of people like the yellow wool from rupes it seems has well. I don`t have compressed air and besides my paint is easy to correct anyhow. Foam is all i really need. I still haven`t used my 50/50 urofiber - only on test panels - but plan to 2 step my bonnet soon with it. I was going to use sonax cutmax or 3D1 with the urofiber and polish it out with the white rupes pad and 3D`s ACA 520. That could all change lol

3D also suggests using their spider pads or wool with ACA 500 and 520.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information