Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a light to medium polish

Hi folks, i gearing up for my full correction the spring.

I have a 2016 blue Toyota with soft paint. Last year i polished my bonnet with my G15, BOSS orange and Sonax perfect finish. This was my first serious polishing session. It knocked out some deep scratches from a broken ice scarper easily. (Have since adapted a more safe method!) So i was super stroked and thought it was all good. But after i started really looking at the finish it had a haze to it. So i stepped down with the BOSS yellow and perfect finish and pop, different car!

So i`ve been thinking hard about getting something a little milder then perfect finish for the first test spot. However, i will be using the the rupes yellow which i believe doesn`t cut so much has the orange BOSS pad. But i`m not totally certain. I have committed to rupes yellow by the way. I won`t be getting anything else for my main pad.

The obvious choice is rupes new fine polishing. Anyone have any experience with this polish? And/or recommed something a little lighter then perfect finish?

I work outside has well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a light to medium polish

No need to play the "what`s best" game, just use Mequiar`s Ultimate Polish and any decent foam polishing pad. Unless you really believe a boutique brand is a must have.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Get 3D One which is pad dependent. Just change pads as needed. Like the name implies, ONE polish.
    Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    No need to play the "what`s best" game, just use Mequiar`s Ultimate Polish and any decent foam polishing pad. Unless you really believe a boutique brand is a must have.
    I was thinking of picking up M205. Just to see if it`s enough. I only have minor swirling.

Thanks for the reply, yeah i`m over thinking this stuff again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Get 3D One which is pad dependent. Just change pads as needed. Like the name implies, ONE polish.
    I`m kinda going in reverse. I settled on a pad now i just want the best polish for my paint.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    I was thinking of picking up M205. Just to see if it`s enough. I only have minor swirling.

Thanks for the reply, yeah i`m over thinking this stuff again.
    Good luck with M205 trying to finish out on soft paint. That is where it struggles which is why Meguiar`s M210 was released. M210 can sometimes still not finish out the best on soft paints. I would stick with Perfect Finish. Sonax offers an even finer cutting polish in their line up. CarPro Reflect does a good job on softer paints as well.

3D One is fine but you already have Perfect Finish which can be used in the same manor.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies folks.

I actually have a finishing polish in gyeon primer. I just cringe when i think about stains on my new rupes pads and i had planned to do a 2 step, don`t know why if i don`t need it.... I`m thinking i should just have a bucket of water with APC and when i switch pads i will throw them in the bucket. Either that or i have to wash the pad right away..

One world problems...oh my.

Probably just go with rupes yellow and gyeon and take it from there.....

But thanks Mike i was really thinking of buying 205 to see if that`s all i would need before potentially staining the very sharp looking rupes pad.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I understand you want to keep those Rupes yellow pads looking pretty. I am the same way. Optimum Hyper Polish does the same thing with staining pads. Poorboys pad cleaner is the only pad cleaner that removes that blue dye.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks noorth thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I really like 205 even though there a lot of newer stuff out.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I really had great results with M105 followed by M205 on any paint for years, before Optimum Polymer Technologies was invented and they came out with their Hyper Polish..

Found their Optimum Hyper Polish to work really great on any paint when a Polish Step is needed, or sometimes, just to quickly correct some defects and leave excellent clarity..

Cleaning the Foam pads after a full correction (sometimes 10-12 pads), with Snappy Clean Powder always cleans them up great, never harms the glue on the backing side, is very easy to rinse out, never leaves residue in the pads, or harms the foam.. Snappy Clean Powder is made by Lake Country Pads..

Dan F
    Likes noorth, William_Wallace, glfnaz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What I find myself reaching for in just about all of my 1 steps, Is Menzerna 400. If I need a second step. My new go to is Koch Chemie 3/02, really great stuff
    Thanks William_Wallace thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    What I find myself reaching for in just about all of my 1 steps, Is Menzerna 400. If I need a second step. My new go to is Koch Chemie 3/02, really great stuff
    My main distributor said thats his go to for cutting and he just does a light polishing on his personal car every year - he offers polishing courses.

I think i only need a light polish. Minor swirling and the paint still looks shiny and rich.

Menzerna 400 doesn`t seem to come up much on the internet like sonax perfect finish and 3D1. For a 1 step. The scale of fast gloss is 8/10 cut and 8/10 finish. Similar to sonax`s cut and finish....

Seeing how scholls came out with S2 black and turtlewax 1 and done, it looks like a trend for the detailers market.

Post Thanks / Like

What bill said the mez 400 is a nice

Thread Information