Post Thanks / Like

various orbit sizes for DA polishers

so my DA arsenal is currently as follows (not listing brands, just what i have and orbit size)

15MM orbit DA for 5" pads

21MM orbit DA for 6" pads

8MM orbit.....ok I lied...this is a PC

12MM orbit for 3" pads

my question is this.....is it worth upgrading the PC to say the Griots G9 or a similar polisher to have a 8mm or 9mm orbit for 5" pads?

also is it worth picking up a G9 for similar polisher to have a 3" machine with a 8mm or 9mm orbit?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: various orbit sizes for DA polishers

Astouffer512- You`re gonna get some, uhm...conflicting...opinions about that Q, and IMO nobody`s *really* gonna be right/wrong as it`s purely subjective and *you* are the subject that matters. Hard to tell just what you would/not appreciate. But FWIW,

Both of my PCs are permanently retired as IME they`re far too inefficient for me to bother with, even with 3" pads. I`m just not gonna spend the time with them compared to how quickly I can do *ANY* form of correction with something more potent.

BUT unless you have some kind of problem getting the final finish you want with the 15mm, I`d only upgrade to something, namely a G8, for the little pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Many of us who started off with a PC or any other 8mm orbit DA eventually move on from them once getting our hands on other types of machines (long throw RO, forced rotation DA or rotary). My PC was basically bumped down to sanding duty only for restoring headlights, and even then I switch over to my Rupes mini for the compounding and polishing.

It works well for its price point however once time becomes money its basically only useful for sanding and maybe applying wax/sealant. I simply don`t have the patience to try and use it for any correction type work.
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    so my DA arsenal is currently as follows (not listing brands, just what i have and orbit size)

15MM orbit DA for 5" pads

21MM orbit DA for 6" pads

8MM orbit.....ok I lied...this is a PC

12MM orbit for 3" pads

my question is this.....is it worth upgrading the PC to say the Griots G9 or a similar polisher to have a 8mm or 9mm orbit for 5" pads?

also is it worth picking up a G9 for similar polisher to have a 3" machine with a 8mm or 9mm orbit?
    Lot of machines !
    That Porter Cable will always do a great job on cleaning glass, all around the vehicle and the moon roof..
    I suppose, it would also work inside if you have glass shower walls, door, etc...
    I like having the PC for doing those easy to do things fast and efficiently...
    Hard to break one too..

It will Always be about Pad Rotation to get the best results for paint correction.. Glass correction or just general cleaning = much easier, because it is easier to rotate on glass vs dirty paintwork..This is why the Porter Cable takes so long on paint... But it does not die! .

For example, I have tried 2 of those miserable Meguiars PC things, years ago, and both of them died, and had very little use...And the old Porter Cable perhaps 30+ years old now, still runs great...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    Many of us who started off with a PC or any other 8mm orbit DA eventually move on from them once getting our hands on other types of machines (long throw RO, forced rotation DA or rotary). My PC was basically bumped down to sanding duty only for restoring headlights, and even then I switch over to my Rupes mini for the compounding and polishing.

It works well for its price point however once time becomes money its basically only useful for sanding and maybe applying wax/sealant. I simply don`t have the patience to try and use it for any correction type work.
    Shane,
    Exactly my thoughts !! Thank you..
    I have mine doing just glass that does not need heavy duty work like with cerium oxide powder...
    The Porter Cable is hand size, easy to use and for me, goes quickly all around the glass with something easy like the Zaino Glass Cleaner, and boom, your done!
    And yes, time is $$$...
    Dan F
    Likes ShaneB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So I don`t use the PC on paint anymore. I actually like it for carpet scrubbing and I use it for deep cleaning tires.

But would I benefit any in having a small orbit machine for both 5" pads and 3" pads...that`s really my question

I have the 15MM for 5" pads and a 12MM for 3" pads

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    So I don`t use the PC on paint anymore. I actually like it for carpet scrubbing and I use it for deep cleaning tires.

But would I benefit any in having a small orbit machine for both 5" pads and 3" pads...that`s really my question

I have the 15MM for 5" pads and a 12MM for 3" pads

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Astouffer -
    Well, if you have occasion to need to get into really tiny places with a small pad, then it would be beneficial; if you do not have that all the time, then not.
    The shorter throw/smaller pad is of course - better - in tight places as it will stay hopefully on that tiny spot better, but if you don`t have to do that even occasionally, I would not do it.

As I said, I like the Porter Cable short throw machine and I use 3" pads on it and it just gets to clean glass all the way around the vehicle.. And it is perfect for that for me..

What I do since I only use Rotary Power is put a small extension on the machine, and add down to a 1-inch backing plate and appropriate size pad if I find something that is deep enough that I cannot get to it with my fingers, and it has to be improved so that little spot of paint will - match - the rest of the blinding, clear, glossy, painwork..

The extension is always good to have for me because it gets that big Makita head out of the way so it is easier to see around it, no matter what pad size I use..
    Dan F

Thread Information