Post Thanks / Like

Rupes Medium yellow wool pads

I’ve started using Rupes medium yellow wool pads and UNO protect for AIO packages, I blow the pads out after a section to keep going but when I’m at the end of the day I have my pile of pads to clean I wonder if I am doing something wrong. I spray them with of cleaner and massage out the polish and the cleaner. I push them out and let air dry.....how do I “fluff” them back up to looking like they did when I open the package? Or isn’t that going to happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Medium yellow wool pads

Spinning it on the machine works well for me
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m getting to a point where I think foamed wool or MF are faster and cut better than foam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2wookies View Post
    Spinning it on the machine works well for me
    Good idea....I didn`t think of that. What speed are you running the polisher at when doing this?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Spin and use any medium brush while it’s spinning might help maybe play around with different brush’s and speeds save you money on and don’t buy “ pad cleaning brushes. I like leather brushes to comb and fluff wool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Good idea....I didn`t think of that. What speed are you running the polisher at when doing this?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Medium ish

Post Thanks / Like

I clean mine by scrubbing them on the Grit Guard, and they fluffed back up well. Not as pretty as a new one, but they worked fine the next time.

When cleaning between panels I used a pad brush, as air was not available.

BTW, I LOVE these pads with Rupes `yellow` polish!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I`m getting to a point where I think foamed wool or MF are faster and cut better than foam.
    Absolutely, although maybe it depends on paint? One of the first cars I did w/ a GG6 DA was our black Corvette (2004) w/ etched water spots. Megs D300 w/ microfiber cutting disc was quicker and cut better than Megs M101 w/ yellow Lake Country Foam (flat pad)

And on a black Mazda, the GG6 w/ LC purple foamed wool and M101 went right through the clear quite easily...oops!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried microfiber pads when they first came out over a decade + or so, and they were hard for me to use on a Rotary, but I persisted and figured out they would work very quickly but left a less desirable finish than what I was used to achieving from a compound..

So, now I have a lot of microfiber pads that I will probably never use in one of my cabinets..

The tried and tested, been around longer than 10 years, L/C Purple Foam Wool pads have always worked great for me on any paint softest, soft, Jet Black BMW, up to the hardest, nastiest, dirtiest, Urethane Airplane Paint.. They always cut real fast, and even with Meguiar`s 105, I can finish them down to a beautiful gloss and clarity for a compound..

I have only used Snappy Clean Powder for Everything and have never had issues with it cleaning or making it hard to make these foam wool pads look great again. I always spin all my pads especially the foam wool ones because of their additional thickness, on my Rotary at 3000 rpm, as high as it will go, let them dry, and unless they are worn out too much, they always are fluffed back up just fine..

Dan F
    Likes SeanKTM liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Absolutely, although maybe it depends on paint?..
    True IME. That Byzanz Metallic M3 I had would only respond to *Meguiar`s Burgundy Foam Cutting Pads* for some reason. I tried *so many* others..and this was by rotary as I was doing some *serious* cutting. Never happened like that before/since, but it worked when nothing else would on that particular car (hardest b/c paint I`ve ever worked, bar none).

And on a black Mazda, the GG6 w/ LC purple foamed wool and M101 went right through the clear quite easily...oops!
    Heh heh, no surprise given how little clear Mazda uses on some of their vehicles. Often you can`t take off more than a few scant mils if you plan to park in the sun again.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Thread Information