Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is This The One?

As long as we are dreaming or sky-blue (AKA outside-the-box) thinking about features we (I) would like to see in a polishing machine, here is my list of features/items I think would benefit the end-user:
    1) Digital read-out of RPMs or a stall-warning on DA`s
    2) Digital read-out of force being applied (like incorporating a load cell)
    3) Digital read-out of pad temperature.
    4) Digital Paint Thickness Gauge readout as you polish
    5) Data-gathering telemetry computer program of the above"polishing data" items, along with micro-GPS locations of the machine (speed and movement), for statistical analytics of how the polishing was done (great training tool of polishing techniques. Think Formula 1 racing data and how it analyzes the driver at a track during the race for improvement)
    OR a head-up clear glasses (like wrap-around safety glasses) display of that data as the detailer/operator uses the polisher
    6) Quick-change backplate sizes
    7) Voice command with a user-definable "name" for your machine (Roboto, power On. Roboto, change the speed to xxx PRMs. Roboto, change the stroke to rotary)
    8) High torque, low watt/amp usage brush-less rare-earth magnet motors (electrical efficiency)
    9) Air-bearing or magnetic-levitation bearing spindle (near-frictionless)
    10) Titanium or ultra-composite metal/fiber frame for less weight (I did not say it would be cheap!)
    11) Wireless or wi-fi power-source (no cord, no battery pack)

Geeze, Captain Obvious, why not a polishing machine robot with Artificial Intelligence that will do the correcting and polishing for you, including selecting the pad size and type and dispense the polish or compound. George Jetson would be proud...(Google it; you will laugh at the reference. Remember I am old(er))

Edit: After looking at all the polisher data info I wanted displayed, the polisher would need to have a "dashboard" of digital read-outs that rival most sports cars OR have a single LED readout display that is user-selectable OR can be allowed to scroll through the display of the various data info at user-defined time intervals. As we in engineering used to say of any conceivably impossible design idea, "Go ahead, Edison; invent one."
    GB detailer
    Likes Caraman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just announced on a competing site, shipping next week..... $699

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    6) Quick-change backplate sizes

10) Titanium or ultra-composite metal/fiber frame for less weight (I did not say it would be cheap!)

Geeze, Captain Obvious, why not a polishing machine robot with Artificial Intelligence that will do the correcting and polishing for you, including selecting the pad size and type and dispense the polish or compound. George Jetson would be proud...(Google it; you will laugh at the reference. Remember I am old(er))
    6) YES! I`ve actually been thinking about this. 3M has their quick-change thing for rotary machines, and you have to use double sided pads.

10) I remember when another user mentioned he`d love a carbon fiber body for his Flex 3401. That would super neat.

Captain, i don`t know if it was real, but I did see a robot arm machine doing some type of polishing on a car. If I can find that video, I`ll post it. And hey, we still don`t have flying cars! Sorry, George Jetson, not there yet!
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is one used in a dealership I sold at 30 years ago..... it`s still around "buffing" cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRLmYdJj-sU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-oGN0qw4TU

Post Thanks / Like

John U:
    Well now I know where some of the Dealer-Installed Swirl Option (DISO) comes from. I would LOVE to inspect that exterior under/with a Scangrip light after the "Auto Butler" system is applied.
    GB detailer

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Some microfiber isn`t much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody wondered if this UDOS thing might be `knock off` proof - One of the LC guys at MobileTech told me all those parts that make the multi-orbit are made in Taiwan and the whole head is assembled there (next door neighbor to China!)...so I`d bet it`s already being fitted to some other tool! At least part of this UDOS is assembled here.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Have you ever used a mid 80`s Craftsman rotary? Those things must have been 10 pounds or more.
    I know the feeling, One should had try a early 70`s or late 60`s Milwaukee Rotary. My arms still hurt after 47 yrs. It had to weight about 20 lbs.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no....Fastbacks! Now I know where I got PTSD.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Pirate View Post
    I know the feeling, One should had try a early 70`s or late 60`s Milwaukee Rotary. My arms still hurt after 47 yrs. It had to weight about 20 lbs.
    Heh heh...almost-contemporary experience here: the summer of `79 I was running one of those daily, curse of being (relatively) decent with one.
    Likes Old Pirate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think some of you might like this. Try it out for 2 weeks and send it back. Not bad

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information