Post Thanks / Like

Anyone using 5" Pads & Backing Plate with New Griot`s Garage G9 Polisher??

Has anyone "upgraded" their new Griot`s G9 polisher to the 5" backing plate and pads???

A friend of mine bought this new polisher and he is MORE than happy with the "standard" 6" backing plate and pads that came with it.
    He said it has plenty of power and does not stall for him. This is coming from someone who went to a technical school in the mid 70`s to train as a body shop person when all they had were heavy Milwaukee Tool rotary polishers and wool pads, so he knows how to wield a polisher.

I know some of you have mentioned that you will be sticking with the 6" pads as well.

I was just under the impression that a 5" pad would be a little more "forgiving" and easier to handle than a 6" and for getting into some curves.
    Personally, I wish Griots would offer an option for the 5" backing plate at the time of purchase, but if the 6" works for a vast majority of its targeted market users, then why offer it.

I also assume that there are no "color-coordinated" screws for use as counterbalances with different pad types like the re-designed BOSS G15 and G21 polishers have. See thread post number #26 by JustJesus:
    Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone using 5" Pads & Backing Plate with New Griot`s Garage G9 Polisher??

Lonnie - I’m going to cheat and quote myself (even though I feel a little silly as I’m hardly quote worthy). Here were my original thoughts first using the G9:

Did my first full detail with my G9

Your friend is not wrong in their thoughts that it’s quite good with the standard 6” pads. I’ll be doing my Wife’s Mom’s pure black volvo this week, so I’ll be able to chime in with some feelings after doing some more experimentation. Going to use Blackfire’s One Step, so I’ll be playing around with pads/sizes trying to find what it needs.

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased the 5" plate for mine so I can make the switch...
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I got my G9 yesterday. The 5`` backing plate is on back order. I had one laying around that fit. All of my pads are 5``, so no real need to try the 6`` for me. I used it to do the second step on a black F450 i had yesterday...Let that sink in kids, that truck is ginormous......I felt it finished better than my Flex 15mm

Post Thanks / Like

Billy Baldone:
    You bring out another point about using a 5" backing plate with the new G9: those Autopains who have a "plethora" of existing 5" (or 5-1/2") pads in their detailing arsenal. I would hate to "obsolete" that inventory and investment just because someone`s new G9 did not come with the proper-sized backing plate to accommodate them.

Who are the manufacturers of the 5" backing plate and pads that you did use on the G9 and what did polish did you use for "second step"?? I assume this is after compounding, which was the "First step"? (AH, so YOU are the infamous Captain Obvious and his obligatory questions!)

When you say "black" is on the F450 I assume it is the Agate Black Metallic (the dirt and swirl-hiding black) and not a true black, like Ford`s Tuxedo Black.

The F450 is NOT a truck; it is a tractor part of a semi! Football fields are smaller in square foot area than this "truck" (Oops, tractor) has!!
    GB detailer

Thread Information