Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

BOSS Creams + Which Pads?

Hello. I`m leaning towards the BOSS Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream for my first go at polishing. I will be working on a black Kia, car is only 1 year old. I was planning to do a few test spots but the amount of pad choices is starting to make my head spin. I`m wondering what everyone`s go-to pads are, or what you would recommend for a beginner. Seems like Correcting Cream with Lake Country Orange flat pad, and Perfecting Cream with Lake Country White flat is pretty standard, is that a good place to start? I`ve also considered the Buff and Shine pads which I hear good things about, but I don`t know which ones I would use. There is also the BOSS pads but I`ve been reading a decent amount about the velcro separating from the pad prematurely, and they are a bit more expensive then the rest. What to do...

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BOSS Creams + Which Pads?

I use Buff and Shine Uro-Tec 6" pads (5" backing plate) on my tools. What tools do you use and what size backing plates?

I just used the Maroon light cutting pad with Griot`s FCC and the Yellow polishing pads for finish polishing (perfecting cream equivalent) and the results were excellent.

They also have a newer Dark Blue polishing pad that is in between Maroon and Yellow for scenarios where the Maroon might be a little too aggressive.

That said I would use what you have as long as you have enough pads. The LC Orange pad with Griot`s CC may leave a refined enough finish that Perfecting Cream with a white pad might be unnecessary. However I have no experience with Kia paint (could be soft, could be hard as nails, could be somewhere in between, could be sticky (Subaru), could be finicky, etc).

Do a few different test spots. Orange/CC, White/CC, Orange/CC + White/PC and see what gives you the results you want (with the least amount of effort).
    Likes jayExotic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

jayExotic- Out of curiosity, why not just use Griot`s pads with the Griot`s products?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    jayExotic- Out of curiosity, why not just use Griot`s pads with the Griot`s products?
    That`s what I was wondering about. But I keep reading that their pads don`t hold up well (the foams separates from the velcro). This is just what I`m reading, I have no experience with them. Also they are a bit more expensive, so I`d hope they would last longer than less expensive pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Griot`s first microfiber polishing pad had the issue you described, but the new version works perfectly as do all of their BOSS pads. I should also add Griot`s replaced the defective pads I had purchased, and also sent me a number of other free items to make up for the inconvenience. Their customer service is world class.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

BOSS Creams and Rupes Yellow pads - thank me later

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Rupes LHR Mark II 15 polisher. I have both Rupes and BOSS pads and in all honesty, I prefer the BOSS pads over the Rupes pads. Keep in mind if you don`t have enough pads, you could overheat them, and that could cause them to separate. And as previously mentioned, Griot`s Customer Service is pretty rock solid.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Bobh591- Welcome to Autopia! I`m glad to hear GG took care of you regarding the bad pads.

Quote Originally Posted by bodidly22
    BOSS Creams and Rupes Yellow pads - thank me later
    Can you explain why you prefer the Rupes pads?

Post Thanks / Like

2nd the Rupes Yellows. It may have the widest spectrum of capability and use in the industry and excels at all of them.

FYI - Anyone who watched Jason Rose’s Rupes Webinar Introduction YT Vid 3 days ago will note that Rupes is discontinuing all current BF DA and BG Mille foam pads and polishes and combining them into one DA system of 3 polishes and 3 pad choices with all new Abrasives, Pad Material (except yellow), and Shape. The new Rupes pads will be optimized for both Forced and Free Rotation. And they are discontinuing the a Blue pad altogether.

The moment I saw them, I liked the shape, just not sure about the thinner profile. The yellow is the only pad they’re sticking with the same material so Rupes themselves know they have something special and unmatched with it. I bought 2 dozen current Yellows the moment I watched it.

https://youtu.be/tUoTMl2HZfc
    Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Thanks dwaleke thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use what you originally suggested. LC Orange with the correcting and white for the perfecting cream. I think they match up good. I have GG pads for my G8 and they hold up well. GG does have excellent customer service.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    I have a Rupes LHR Mark II 15 polisher. I have both Rupes and BOSS pads and in all honesty, I prefer the BOSS pads over the Rupes pads. Keep in mind if you don`t have enough pads, you could overheat them, and that could cause them to separate. And as previously mentioned, Griot`s Customer Service is pretty rock solid.
    And just to add, whatever pad choice you settle on, the BOSS Creams are excellent choices.

Post Thanks / Like

Boss yellows and orange on a g15. My 1st polish and blew my mind on the finish. I didnt go buck wild as paint look like it had been washed in a swirl o matic 7-8 times a month for the year and half I didnt own it.

Was just looking for 75 a 80 percent correction but ended up more like 95. Great products!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

go w/ the Boss 5.5`` pads......here or autogeek they`re 6 pads your choice for $55.00.....They`re m/f pads are killer btw......Wolfgang`s uber compound works awesome, finish w/ they`re finishing glaze......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Can you explain why you prefer the Rupes pads?
    I always get the best results from them Accum.. even with the correction cream I can cut to safe level and finish flawlessly 90% of the time... It`s made me re-evaluate the use of cutting pads in general. And I wouldn`t be surprised if I dump all my existing cutting pads.. inc. microfibre and wool in the back closet.

I had a theory when Jason got poached to Rupes he took the tech developed from their DFP pellow pads and made them even better with Rupes. No real evidence of proof mind you

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Today I used the gold bottle Griots compound that`s available at Autozone to remove some wetsanding marks. I had wetsanded the fender coves on my 2000 TA and had some dullness and scratches(newbie sanding mistake). I used an orange cutting pad with the Griots compound. I was impressed with the working time of the compound. It didn`t dust up either. My PC was strong enough to leave a glossy finish. Didn`t even bother to follow up with a finer finishing polish.
    Likes JRoDDz liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information