Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

polish recommendation for beginner, new car

Hello. First post on these forums. I`m looking to get suggestions on polish and pads. It would be my first attempt at polishing, so I need something beginner friendly (long working time, not too much cut). I`m interested in polishing my black Kia, the car is just under a year old. A lot of these swirls/micro marring is from the dealership. Most of it can only be seen under directed sunlight. I was leaning towards Meguiars m205 or Koch Chemie micro cut. I was most likely going to do a test spot with a black Lake Country pad, and move up from there, I figure I might have to use a white pad or even an orange? I`m wondering if those 2 products would be good for light correction. I don`t need 100% correction, just a good improvement. I`m only interested in a 1 step process since I`m just getting my feet wet with polishing. I plan to use a separate sealant/wax after polishing. Any other suggestions/tips is appreciated. Thanks!

polish recommendation for beginner, new car-20190804_130752-1209x1612.jpgpolish recommendation for beginner, new car-20190804_130758-1209x1612.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: polish recommendation for beginner, new car

I dunno, the Meguiar`s 105 and 205 are totally old school, but they work real well and aren`t terribly fussy.

Welcome aboard, Jay !!
    Cars: bringing people together
    Thanks jayExotic thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

A great combo....Wolfgang`s uber compound used w/ Griots 5.5`` m/f pads works awesome. What machine are you using?
    Likes DaveT435 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Meg’s 210 is the new formulation of 205, but you should be safe with 205. I would suggest Jescar or Menzerma polishes. Jescar has 3, light medium, and heavy, and Menz has about 100 (Lol), but Menz 3500 gives me good results.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe there are 6 different Lake Country foam pads for sale here at the Autopia Store..

I would not use a L/Country Black pad for anything except applying a liquid sealant, etc., as it has no correcting ability at all..

Which of the 6 Lake County foam pads are you looking at and what size?

I only use the 5.5" size with appropriate backing plate for everything except for really big things..

Where are you going to do the work ? Inside? Do you have good overhead and portable lighting to see the sides, front, and back of the vehicle ?

What machine are you going to use ?

I know a lot about Meguiars, Menzerna, Optimum, CarPro, and Sonax compounds and polishes; nothing about KochChemieTexas.. I do see Koch Chemie for about half as much on Ebay though.. They have rules about never using the pads you use with their products for anything else.. I already do not like them..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Stokdgs, don’t bother with a black LC for any correction. Maybe you could get those swirls out with M205 on a white pad, but my guess is you may want to do a test spot with orange and you’ll like those results more (but I don’t know Kia paint).

M205 is what I started with (actually Ultimate Polish which is the same thing for our purposes). Lot’s of people start with it. You will eventually find better polishes if this becomes something you enjoy, but M205 can do a lot and it’s fairly user friendly (just a little dusty and little oily but nothing to worry about).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I guess I will start with a white pad, and move up to the orange if needed. When doing a 1 step, could I get a good finish with an orange pad?

To answer some of the questions above. I will be using a Griots g9. I plan on using 5.5 inch pad with the 5 inch backing plate. I will be inside my garage. I plan on purchasing a swirl finding flashlight, but that`s about it. I do have a strong LED light overhead in my garage.

I was also looking at Blackfire Polish, and HD Polish, any opinions on those?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Meg’s 210 is the new formulation of 205, but you should be safe with 205. I would suggest Jescar or Menzerma polishes. Jescar has 3, light medium, and heavy, and Menz has about 100 (Lol), but Menz 3500 gives me good results.
    Do you think the Jescar Micro Finishing polish with either a white or orange pad will work for the defects I showed in the pictures? Would this be a good product for a beginner? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

jayExotic- Welcome to Autopia!

Glad you`re gonna pass on the LC Black, which I don`t use for *anything*.

FWIW, I don`t like M205..at all. It`s Trade Secret Oils really bother me and I`ve never been satisfied with the finish it leaves (at least not after I`ve dealt with those TSO).

While I haven`t used the current version, HD Polish, OTOH, *really* satisfies me and is my current fave Finishing Polish.

BUT...since you`re using the GG G9 I`d be looking at Griot`s line of polishes.

I urge you to *NOT* try doing that sort of significant correction with a too-gentle approach; IMO you`re gonna find it harder going than you expect. While I generally match my polish/pad combos (aggressive pad w/aggressive polish; mild pad w/mild polish), I`ll sometimes use a Aggressive Product + Mild Pad combo, but I *NEVER* go the other way. So *I* would not pair anybody`s Micro Finishing Polish with an orange pad.

Eh, the more I key in the more I think you oughta just go with GG pads and products.

EDIT: Last time I used it, the BF Polish was a tweaked version of Menzerna. Too oily for me but better overall than M205. Not that I`d buy it again...

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just use a real 1 step? Instead of the wax / sealant after. I would say HD Speed or Meguiars D151. Those are my go tos for 1 steps. I usually use Orange pads but I would think White would do just fine for you.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a Griot`s Garage G9, why not stick with their Boss Correcting Cream (Compound) and Boss Perfecting Creme (polish) (NOT their Complete Compound or Complete Polish!). A lot of Autopians, both professional and hobbyist, use them and love/like them.

If you want to to try 3D`s new AAT Rubbing Compound and AAT Finishing Compound, buy the 8 oz "sampler" bottle. It will cost you about $22.00 to try them out and then you can tell us all how they work for you.

Here`s a link to a thread I started about the new Meg`s M110 Compound and M210 Polish (for your information):
    Seeking Comments about Megs NEW Pro Speed M110 Compound and M210 Polish
    When I asked for a fool-proof compound/polish in this above thread, the highly respected The Guz recommended Sonax Cut Max and either Sonax Ex 04-06 or Perfect Finish in post #7. Those Sonax twins might be your best choice for a beginner!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

If that Kia paint is anything like a Hyundai paint, which I would think it is, it’s pretty hard...

Post Thanks / Like

For a beginner with a Griot`s machine it`s hard to beat the Griot`s twins (Fast Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream).

Beginner or not those are good polishes.
    Likes DaveT435, JRoDDz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Griots correcting and perfecting creams. These are easy to use and perform great.

Post Thanks / Like

Going to have to vote for Griot`s Creams... they truly are a breeze to work with. BOSS Correction on Rupes Yellow is honey for your money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information