Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do I have enough pads for correcting one car?

Striker ---
    Like Accumulator above, I have also cleaned my foam pads after every set of passes, for decades..

I only like to use bigger pads like the 6.5" for large, long, flat, things like Vans, Trucks, or Airplanes..
    For MY needs and process, they are just too big for anything else, require more cleaning, are easy to accidentally get into places where they do not need to be, and after all that, they cost more, and you still have to clean them...
    My go-to pad for almost everything else will always be the 5.5" size, period..

I have no idea how anyone can really correct an entire vehicle with 1 pad.. How bad was the condition of the paintwork?? Perhaps, if the vehicle had already been corrected with multiple pads, then maybe you can go all around it again with only one??.. Or, the vehicle had virtually damage-free, clear, glossy, paintwork to start with ?
    Sometime, when I have time, I will try to find those videos from that guy that uses only 1 pad..

I clean my pads out with clean, white, small cotton towels, so I can SEE what color of stuff is coming out of the pads, from the paint..

I only use a pad conditioner mentioned earlier for this to keep the pad Just Moist Enough for that spot at that time, and it has really helped ME get amazing, clear, clean, glossy, smooth, finishes every time.. And yes, I also only use Makita Rotary Power..

Once a pad gets loaded up with stuff and too wet, it will NOT work as efficient or not at all..

How do I know, when the pad on the machine that I have cleaned after every pass is done and needs to be changed??
    When all things being equal, that pad is NOT performing as it did when it was a clean, dry, pad from the cabinet and placed on the backing plate..

If one is really paying attention to the work, you will SEE when this starts to happen..

There is no set number of passes, downward pressure, machine speed, etc., keeping the work just moist enough, for Anything.. One has to be totally innovative and flexible the entire time..
    Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Alright fellas. It’s done. I will order 5/6 of orange and white pads. Without the holes.

After a pass is complete- I will wipe it with a rag. I’ll also get a pad conditioner and use a spray or two before each pass. I will also do no more then two panels for ONE pad.

Good/bad?

Thanks boys Do I have enough pads for correcting one car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Alright fellas. It’s done. I will order 5/6 of orange and white pads. Without the holes.

After a pass is complete- I will wipe it with a rag. I’ll also get a pad conditioner and use a spray or two before each pass. I will also do no more then two panels for ONE pad.

Good/bad?

Thanks boys Do I have enough pads for correcting one car?

Striker --
    Again, there is no set rule for this. Depends on how bad the paintwork is, how good your pad is, your pad choice is, the correction product choice is the best one for that panel, and your technique..

If the pad is still performing about as good as it did when you started and finished that panel, then perhaps you can start the next one and see how far it takes you before it stops performing and needs to be changed..

I absolutely Love correcting all black paintwork, hope this goes really great for you!
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you recall last year, you were heavily involved in my thread where I was correcting my black single stage mustang paint. That was a pain in the ass. But it turned out super deep and glossy.

I have the menzerna line up at hand and that’s what I’d be using with the orange and white LC pads.

I work slow, never exceeding speed 2.5 on my makita and have had good results. On clear coated vehicles Do I have enough pads for correcting one car? that mustang was not fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you recall last year, you were heavily involved in my thread where I was correcting my black single stage mustang paint. That was a pain in the ass. But it turned out super deep and glossy.

I have the menzerna line up at hand and that’s what I’d be using with the orange and white LC pads.

I work slow, never exceeding speed 2.5 on my makita and have had good results. On clear coated vehicles Do I have enough pads for correcting one car? that mustang was not fun.

Striker -
    Yes! I remembered that Mustang Single Stage Black Paint !
    Anything single stage is not fun and dangerous if you go too far.. Bet it still blinds people out in the sun !

Ok, Mercedes Metallic Black, here we come! It Will be a lovely paint to work with, and the results - should be stunning..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Dan.....confusion again Do I have enough pads for correcting one car?

I’m looking at just flat LC orange and white pads and the ones they have claim they’re for a DA.....that I won’t use. Other then to maybe finish with.

Am I fine with these ?

Post Thanks / Like

PS- they have a SDO line up of pads that has a hole in the Middle to reduce heat.....news to me. These are flat as well.

Thoughts ?

Post Thanks / Like

PS- they have a SDO line up of pads that has a hole in the Middle to reduce heat.....news to me. These are flat as well.

Thoughts ?
    I`d call BS Psuedo-tech myself. If that pad`s getting hot enough that having a hole in it makes all the diff, then something`s haywire and I question whether that hole would help any how.

I can`t really help with the specific pad choices as I`m just too out-of-date, but it sounds like you`re on the right track now. You probably won`t go wrong by having more than you think you`ll need.

Heh heh, since you *are* using a rotary, I`d just go with whatever Stokdgs recommends.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah exactly. I’m trying to keep this simple- and there doesn’t seem to be simple anymore Do I have enough pads for correcting one car?

I’m going with orange and white pads.

I’d like to know which menzerna to start with. I’ll get the owner to send me pics of the paint and post up here.

Post Thanks / Like

1-can onr be used as a pad conditioner?

I have a ten year old bottle of onr that I’ve barely used.

2- after I have corrected/polished a panel. Do you wipe it down with alcohol ?

Post Thanks / Like

Dan.....confusion again Do I have enough pads for correcting one car?

I’m looking at just flat LC orange and white pads and the ones they have claim they’re for a DA.....that I won’t use. Other then to maybe finish with.

Am I fine with these ?

Striker --
    The pads you posted up are made for Random Orbital,DA, etc., machines, and the only thing I see different is that they are "thinner" than the usual size pad for Rotary work, which has always been thicker..

They may have also made the velcro backing stronger on these "thin" DA pads, because of all the heat and movement, it makes them flex so much more, and all that creates more heat, which is always bad if too hot and too long for any pads..

Look at the link of the L/C pads and note the colors.. https://www.autopia-carcare.com/flat...fing-pads.html
    The Yellow color is the most aggressive for compounding, the Orange is less aggressive and is more for polishing.. Of course, you may be able to use a more aggressive compound with the Orange color and hopefully correct the paint just fine.. If not, then you will need the Yellow pad for that correction.. Just a thought..

The pads with the holes in the center is again, for helping release heat from the pad that is used on the DA, Random Orbitals, etc., machines, which of course we all know, make more heat than a similarly set up Rotary machine..

In the really old days of the 70`s, etc., all the pads made back then, they were mostly wool and a wool blend, always had a hole in the center so you could tighten the big screw that held them on the backing plate..

So in conclusion, these DA thinner pads will work, but they are thinner than the normal sized rotary equivalent last I bought some..
    It may be possible -today- that the pad makers have pretty much started making ALL pads one thickness, so they can save that last bit of $$..

If that is all you can get, and research does state the rotary pads are no longer thicker today, then you will be fine, just know they are not going to last as long..
    Compare those little worn out ccs pads to the L/C Cyan Hydro Techs you have and I bet the those smaller ones are thicker..

I have never used Optimum ONR as a pad conditioner.. It is really a mild cleaner when diluted, so I dont know how that will work.. If you choose to use ONR, I would dilute it with water so it will last longer..

Pad conditioners I have been told (but it`s never been -proven-), are supposed to be a type of quick detailer, but again, it`s what has been said, with no proof or testing results, etc...

All I can tell you that I KNOW for a certainty, is that I have used the C/Guys Pad Conditioner, for many years on a few hundred vehicles paintwork and it has NEVER hurt or damaged, or made the work challenging, etc.. It just works great for that purpose..

Yes, you should wipe down the panel with alcohol after correction, if you do not use a product like Car Pro Eraser, etc., to wipe everything up before you apply your LSP choice, so it will have a better chance to adhere to pure, clean paintwork..

Dan F
    Likes Striker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah exactly. I’m trying to keep this simple- and there doesn’t seem to be simple anymore Do I have enough pads for correcting one car?

I’m going with orange and white pads.

I’d like to know which menzerna to start with. I’ll get the owner to send me pics of the paint and post up here.

Need to know which Menzerna products you have to be able to answer your question..
    Which product did you use on your Mustang last year? Perhaps when you see the Mercedes and then compare how the condition is compared to your Mustang, that may help you decide what to try on a Test Spot first..
    Dan F

Dan F
    Likes Striker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Striker --
    The pads you posted up are made for Random Orbital,DA, etc., machines, and the only thing I see different is that they are "thinner" than the usual size pad for Rotary work, which has always been thicker..

They may have also made the velcro backing stronger on these "thin" DA pads, because of all the heat and movement, it makes them flex so much more, and all that creates more heat, which is always bad if too hot and too long for any pads..

Look at the link of the L/C pads and note the colors.. https://www.autopia-carcare.com/flat...fing-pads.html
    The Yellow color is the most aggressive for compounding, the Orange is less aggressive and is more for polishing.. Of course, you may be able to use a more aggressive compound with the Orange color and hopefully correct the paint just fine.. If not, then you will need the Yellow pad for that correction.. Just a thought..

The pads with the holes in the center is again, for helping release heat from the pad that is used on the DA, Random Orbitals, etc., machines, which of course we all know, make more heat than a similarly set up Rotary machine..

In the really old days of the 70`s, etc., all the pads made back then, they were mostly wool and a wool blend, always had a hole in the center so you could tighten the big screw that held them on the backing plate..

So in conclusion, these DA thinner pads will work, but they are thinner than the normal sized rotary equivalent last I bought some..
    It may be possible -today- that the pad makers have pretty much started making ALL pads one thickness, so they can save that last bit of $$..

If that is all you can get, and research does state the rotary pads are no longer thicker today, then you will be fine, just know they are not going to last as long..
    Compare those little worn out ccs pads to the L/C Cyan Hydro Techs you have and I bet the those smaller ones are thicker..

I have never used Optimum ONR as a pad conditioner.. It is really a mild cleaner when diluted, so I dont know how that will work.. If you choose to use ONR, I would dilute it with water so it will last longer..

Pad conditioners I have been told (but it`s never been -proven-), are supposed to be a type of quick detailer, but again, it`s what has been said, with no proof or testing results, etc...

All I can tell you that I KNOW for a certainty, is that I have used the C/Guys Pad Conditioner, for many years on a few hundred vehicles paintwork and it has NEVER hurt or damaged, or made the work challenging, etc.. It just works great for that purpose..

Yes, you should wipe down the panel with alcohol after correction, if you do not use a product like Car Pro Eraser, etc., to wipe everything up before you apply your LSP choice, so it will have a better chance to adhere to pure, clean paintwork..

Dan F
    Would you alcohol wipe the panel between different stages of polish or only after you’ve done correcting the panel and the lsp is ready to be applied ?

Post Thanks / Like

My local guy has these. Doesn’t say anything about them being for a da

Post Thanks / Like

My local guy has these. Doesn’t say anything about them being for a da

You could ask him if they are made for DA`s or not.. Or measure one for you..

My older L/C Hydro Tech pads are 1-1/4" thick, (perfect for Rotary work) the newer L/C Hydro Tech pads are 15/16" of an inch thick, so you can use them with D/A machines easier.. But these thinner pads will still work on a Rotary, they are just thinner.. I dont care for that, but that is the way it seems to be with Lake Country now..
    Dan F

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information