Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

DA not spinning?

So question. I bought a PC back over the summer to start detailing with. Over Christmas when all the sales were going on I upgraded to a 15MM throw and I bought a mini DA for the tighter areas.

I sold the PC on eBay with some excess supplies I wasn’t using. Finally the buyer received it and is telling me that it won’t spin while on the paint, but it will when he lifts it from the paint. I didn’t send any pads with it so I first asked to make sure he had bought pads. He has the fiber washer on it and did tighten it with the wrench. I used it like a day or 2 before I decided to sell it and it worked fine. He says it’s junk and wants to return it. Which I don’t care, but I think he maybe have user error or possibly buyer’s remorse. Is there anything I am missing to give him some advice? I’m going to ask his permission to post some pictures of what is happening to his car when he uses it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA not spinning?

Id be super cautious with this. Dont refund anything unless the tool comes back in the condition you sent it. Sounds like hes trying to scam you.
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some of the conversations so far (I asked permission and he said ok). I’m trying just to help the guy out if he actually wants a polisher

Starts with most recent reply to the start of his issues. Again, I’m not flaming the buyer or trying to back out of any responsibility on my end. I just want to make sure he is trying everything possible to get the PC to work for him

Him:

I tried all speed, but it’s not recommended to use speed 6 so I kept it from 4.5 to 5 and I tightened it with the wrench as hard as it was able to go... and I don’t want to put it back on my car you saw what it did.

Your previous message

By the way I’m just trying to make sure you have tried everything. You have adjusted the speed dial past 1 all the way up to 6?

Is the backing plate tightened just by hand or did you use the wrench to tighten it?

Him:

I made a lot of research before I spent almost 200 on this item, I bought the pads as well, tried different pads to see if maybe it was the pads but same thing happen with all of them, little to no force the polisher did not spin only vibrates tried adding more force and it just got worse , it needs at least a couple of pounds of pressure to do its job , I put a black mark to see it spin but it doesn’t spin only vibrates and I don’t know anybody who details around my area sorry

Here is asked him if he bought pads (just to be sure) and if he knew any detailers in his area

Him:
    The washer is in place, but still no luck with it... it just ended up leaving my paint all haze due to no spinning action, just vibrates when I add pressure on it

Your previous message

Do you have the fiber washer between the backing plate and the polisher? I`ve read before that can cause it to spin while not on the car, but not while on the paint.

HIM:
    The only way to get it back up and spinning is by lifting the machine off the surface but when I put it back on the surface just vibrates

Your previous message

As I`ve never had problems with the polisher stalling / stopping. I can`t gi e you a good answer. I used it about a month before I de ided to sell it because I upgraded to a larger throw. Now I never put much pressure at all. I always let the pad and the polish do the work. I didn`t force the machine to work. Here`s a good article that may help you out

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Him:

Hey I’m having a issue with the polisher, I can’t add no type of weight to it with out it stop spinning,

I tried most of them, but pads stops spinning and just vibrates .... just with the vibration makes the paint haze.. I’m guessing the machine is defective

Here is a picture of what he is saying his paint looks like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dislikes skibik disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Sounds like a scammer. If he wants to return it then to cover your behind then tell him to send it back and you will see if it is functional. If it is functional then you can send it back and if it is not then you can refund him. Or you can tell him all sales are final. But don`t refund anything or you will be SOL.

It would not be the first time I have heard someone using a DA with just the backing plate and no pad.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Coleroad, Stokdgs, JRoDDz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Judging by his description of everything, hes got no idea what hes doing with it. Hazy paint because its not spinning? I don`t think so, especially from the photo, which makes me think he used it without a pad.

Is he holding pad flat on the paint? I wonder if hes going at it like a rotary holding it up at an extreme angle. NO free spinning DA will spin under those conditions. Again, no idea what hes doing.

Asking if he can find a local detailer is a good idea. I question if he even bothered though, which backs up my thought that hes trying to scam you.

Id offer to accept a return of the "defective" polisher and refund his money only after you receive the tool back in the original conditon (as I said earlier). Make him pay return shipping.

This whole things sounds like a scam.
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes KBsToy, Scrapyard liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Astouffer512- Yeah, the [individual] sounds like a [INSERT derogatory adjective], but that`s the risk you run when you sell something like that to a person you don`t know.

I myself would take it back, chalk it up to a (possibly expensive) "Learning Experience", and, assuming it`s really OK, sell/trade it to a fellow Autopian.

There`s a very good reason (or rather, a boatload of `em) why I sold my rotaries to Stokdgs instead of to somebody I don`t know well enough to trust absolutely.

Post Thanks / Like

Pay to have it shipped back. then refund the money. Doesn`t really sound like a scam, just doesn`t kn ow what he is doing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    Pay to have it shipped back. then refund the money...
    Easy for us to spend Astouffer512`s $, but that`s the clean-and-simple way to solve the problem..before it gets worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Can’t you do a video call with him (FaceTime/WhatsApp/etc) to see the problem in action?

Ben - Melbourne/Australia

Now: ‘19 VW Golf R, ‘15 Polo GTI
    Before: ‘06 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup, ‘14 VW Polo GTI, ‘12 VW Golf GTI, ‘06 VW Golf GTI, ‘05 VW Golf Sportline, ‘01 Holden Astra SRi, ‘00 Nissan Pulsar SSS, ‘99 Holden Astra CD, ‘98 Nissan Pulsar SLX, ‘91 Nissan Pulsar GL with Q engine swap, ‘80 Subaru Leone
    Ben
    Melbourne/Australia

2015 VW Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phatrs View Post
    Can’t you...
    Hey, a 21st Century suggestion! Heh heh, that never even occurred to me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phatrs View Post
    Can’t you do a video call with him (FaceTime/WhatsApp/etc) to see the problem in action?

Ben - Melbourne/Australia

Now: ‘19 VW Golf R, ‘15 Polo GTI
    Before: ‘06 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup, ‘14 VW Polo GTI, ‘12 VW Golf GTI, ‘06 VW Golf GTI, ‘05 VW Golf Sportline, ‘01 Holden Astra SRi, ‘00 Nissan Pulsar SSS, ‘99 Holden Astra CD, ‘98 Nissan Pulsar SLX, ‘91 Nissan Pulsar GL with Q engine swap, ‘80 Subaru Leone
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Hey, a 21st Century suggestion! Heh heh, that never even occurred to me
    I die offer to do that in a round about way. I asked if he would share a video with me but he said he wouldn`t want to because it already messed up his hood.

I`ll probably offer to pay to get it back. I also included some extra detailing supplies I wasn`t using. So I`ll probably offer him a partial refund and he can keep the rest.

If their actually isn`t anything wrong with the PC I guess I could keep it and use it for carpets, tires, etc.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Astouffer512 - I handle the Autopia eBay store, so I understand how difficult it can be to work through issues like this with a buyer who either may not understand how to use the product they purchased or is possibly being less than honest about the situation. The large majority of transactions on eBay go smoothly, but one thing to watch out for is that you are subject to eBay`s rules and policies, which are highly tilted in the buyer`s favor (mostly for good reason, but it does provide some room for those few less than honest folks to cause issues).

The biggest advice I can give you to avoid a pitfall a lot of casual sellers run into is that in eBay land, no returns doesn`t necessarily mean no refunds. You can list an item "sold as is" and say you don`t accept returns, but eBay has a 30 day money back guarantee that trumps any seller return policy, or no return policy. If the buyer opens a request saying the item was defective or not as described, eBay will give you the option to have the item returned to you at your expense. If you accept the return, you will have to provide a refund once tracking shows delivery to you. If you decline to have the item returned, eBay will simply debit your PayPal account to refund the amount to the buyer.

It sounds like you are doing everything right to avoid having the issue escalated to eBay, which is good. If the buyer continues to say they think it is defective and want to return it, unfortunately you may have to go ahead and pay the return shipping costs or else you could risk being out both the money and the item.
    Likes Stokdgs, JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not everyone picks up the “knack” for using a DA or any rotating machine for that matter. A buddy purchased a well regarded DA, I called to see how he liked it. He mentioned he was having a bad time operating it. I went over to see what could be wrong. I took it by the tail, turned it on and one handedly ran it up and down the deck lid checking it’s balance.
    He was spell bound. It ran perfect. He had not developed the “touch” yet. After a few minutes he was catching on fine how they move when tipping it forward or back on the pad.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

John U- That`s a good point; I found my PCs so underpowered compared to what I was used to that I assumed the first one was defective.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

If the machine was a Porter Cable 7424, it is impossible to kill one doing the damage this person did to his paint, even using it without a pad on the backing plate..
    I looked at the picture, enlarged it, I cannot see any evidence there was ever any kind of media on a pad on the paint..

Instead it looks like some kind of damage done by something harder than a foam pad.. If he did indeed run the backing plate only on the paint, of course, it won`t spin ! There is nothing slippery there to help it start to spin.. Hard rubber or something like that against paintwork..

I`m sorry this had to happen to you.. Liz has the best advice and of course, she has probably decades of experience with Ebay as well..

Dan F
    Likes Scrapyard liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information