Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Backing Plate Repair

My RUPES polishers eat backing plates. I`m sure that I`m not alone here with this problem. Was wondering if anyone has found a adhesive that can be used to repair. Ive searched all of YouTube and found nothing which I find odd considering all the other garbage there concerning this trade.

Anyone have thoughts of suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Backing Plate Repair

*or ^

Post Thanks / Like

I`m thinking of trying a thin layer of Shoe Goo for the first flawed bp.

Post Thanks / Like

Got tired of waiting on suggestions. Experiment #1 is in place.

Products used:

• Shoe Goo
    • Piece of cardboard
    • Popsicle stick (& Index finger)
    • Vice

Will update tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

You’re right, an hour and ten minutes is an eternity to wait for an answer on a forum (from your first post to your last), especially at that hour.

In all seriousness though, I’d be looking at your repeat backing plate failures as a symptom, not as your problem. Plenty of professional detailers are using these machines without having to feed them backing plates all the time.

Tell us more about your use. Is it both your 15mm and 21mm? What speed are you running them at? What pads are you using? How many pads are you using per step? How much downward pressure?

Any time I’ve read about backing plate failures, one of the issues could be prolonged running at too high of a speed. There’s huge accelerations taking place at the pad face on a long throw, and each time it changes direction that’s a lot of force acting on the Velcro. Any small movements there create friction —> heat —> plate (or pad) delamination.

What pads? If not Rupes pads, I’d wonder if the pad you’re using uses a slightly different hook and loop fastener. Again, leading to more movement between the pad and backing plate heating it up.

How many pads? Here too - if you’re using a pad for too long and it’s loading up with product, you’re increasing it’s weight and it’s resistance to changing direction all those times per cycle. Back to more heat, more failure. Are you also running into doming of your pads, where the center starts to cave in? That’s another sign of too much heat.

Just points to ponder.
    Likes bad penny, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been using my 21 for years now and never had a failure with the velcro on the backing plate. I agree with Oneheadlite that the velcro failing may be a symptom of how youre running the machine.

How are you removing the pads? Are you simply grabbing them and ripping them off or are you more carefully peeling them off while holding the velcro to the backing plate? I always get my finger between the pad and backing plate and carefully remove the pad so I dont end up ripping the velcro off with it. I started noticing the very edges of the velcro were starting to lift from the edge of the backing plate a couple years ago and have been much more careful removing my pads. The problem has not gotten any worse since doing that.

As for what adhesive to use. I would probably start with something like contact cement, however ive never needed to try this so do so cautiously
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Oneheadlite, bad penny, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    You’re right, an hour and ten minutes is an eternity to wait for an answer on a forum (from your first post to your last), especially at that hour.

In all seriousness though, I’d be looking at your repeat backing plate failures as a symptom, not as your problem. Plenty of professional detailers are using these machines without having to feed them backing plates all the time.

Tell us more about your use. Is it both your 15mm and 21mm? What speed are you running them at? What pads are you using? How many pads are you using per step? How much downward pressure?

Any time I’ve read about backing plate failures, one of the issues could be prolonged running at too high of a speed. There’s huge accelerations taking place at the pad face on a long throw, and each time it changes direction that’s a lot of force acting on the Velcro. Any small movements there create friction —> heat —> plate (or pad) delamination.

What pads? If not Rupes pads, I’d wonder if the pad you’re using uses a slightly different hook and loop fastener. Again, leading to more movement between the pad and backing plate heating it up.

How many pads? Here too - if you’re using a pad for too long and it’s loading up with product, you’re increasing it’s weight and it’s resistance to changing direction all those times per cycle. Back to more heat, more failure. Are you also running into doming of your pads, where the center starts to cave in? That’s another sign of too much heat.

Just points to ponder.
    Yes. Patience isn`t my strong suit.

I have two 21`s and one 15. I use just enough pressure to keep the plate from stalling. All of my machines are 1st generation (weak) which means they pretty much stay on speed 6.
    I rarely go over 1 hour polishing without giving myself a 5 or 10 minute break (enough time to cool off I would think). During that time I`ve switched pads at least 4 times.
    I typically use 4-6 pads for every step on each vehicle. When switching pads I have a habit of just yanking them off.
    I understand (and take full responsibility) that this is more then likely the primary reason for me having this problem.
    I use lots of different pads. I don`t think for one second that has anything to do with it.

Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    Ive been using my 21 for years now and never had a failure with the velcro on the backing plate. I agree with Oneheadlite that the velcro failing may be a symptom of how youre running the machine.

How are you removing the pads? Are you simply grabbing them and ripping them off or are you more carefully peeling them off while holding the velcro to the backing plate? I always get my finger between the pad and backing plate and carefully remove the pad so I dont end up ripping the velcro off with it. I started noticing the very edges of the velcro were starting to lift from the edge of the backing plate a couple years ago and have been much more careful removing my pads. The problem has not gotten any worse since doing that.

As for what adhesive to use. I would probably start with something like contact cement, however ive never needed to try this so do so cautiously
    Thank you. I ended up going with shoe goo.
    So far as the man that jumped from the skyscraper said to the other man sitting on his patio @ the 21st floor, so far so good!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    Yes. Patience isn`t my strong suit.,,,When switching pads I have a habit of just yanking them off.
    I understand (and take full responsibility) that this is more then likely the primary reason for me having this problem...
    Heh heh, I guess I oughta just spare you my predictable comments about the above ..

[EDIT: So OK, I *will* spare you ]

Hope the Shoe Goo solves the problem. I`ve never done much of anything with my one Rupes (oughta just sell/trade it..), but I run my others at top speed all the time, and while some here have chided me for that it`s never been a problem. I figure they wouldn`t make `em with Speed 6 unless it were OK to use that setting.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quit ripping your pads off the backing plate..problem solved.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I partially melted (center of BP) while overusing a Meg`s MF pad - used it for about 10 minutes without a break (polish, brush, polish). Not sure if that is the issue you are having. But overheating the pads could be part of the problem.

If I am using MF pads, I rotate 2 pads and swap after every section. It does not take much extra time, as you have to stop and clean them after each section anyway.
    Likes Stokdgs, bad penny liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I question what type of pads, but it sounds like heat is the culprit, as others have said. OP, have you looked into upgrading the backing plate to a more efficient one, in hopes of running the machine at a lower speed equaling less heat? How long have you had your polishers, maybe they are due for a grease upgrade?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, I guess I oughta just spare you my predictable comments about the above ..

[EDIT: So OK, I *will* spare you ]

Hope the Shoe Goo solves the problem. I`ve never done much of anything with my one Rupes (oughta just sell/trade it..), but I run my others at top speed all the time, and while some here have chided me for that it`s never been a problem. I figure they wouldn`t make `em with Speed 6 unless it were OK to use that setting.
    Aren`t you a fan of the 3401? If so I might have a trade for you.

It`s only been 1 day, but Shoe Goo seems to work great if you ever need to repair a backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Quit ripping your pads off the backing plate..problem solved.
    The extra time it takes to remove the pad delicately I can spend making money. When the bp starts to crap out I can Show Goo-it back together in 5 minutes.

Who`s the dummy now...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    I partially melted (center of BP) while overusing a Meg`s MF pad - used it for about 10 minutes without a break (polish, brush, polish). Not sure if that is the issue you are having. But overheating the pads could be part of the problem.

If I am using MF pads, I rotate 2 pads and swap after every section. It does not take much extra time, as you have to stop and clean them after each section anyway.
    What polisher are you using?
    After only 10 minutes of use I would be wanting my money back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    I question what type of pads, but it sounds like heat is the culprit, as others have said. OP, have you looked into upgrading the backing plate to a more efficient one, in hopes of running the machine at a lower speed equaling less heat? How long have you had your polishers, maybe they are due for a grease upgrade?
    The machine I`m speaking of is 7 years old. I can almost guarantee you it needs new grease.
    It`s a first generation RUPES, so there`s really no option but to run at full speed if your trying to do something.

What aftermarket backing plate would you recommend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information