Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Backing Plate Repair

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    The machine I`m speaking of is 7 years old. I can almost guarantee you it needs new grease.
    It`s a first generation RUPES, so there`s really no option but to run at full speed if your trying to do something.

What aftermarket backing plate would you recommend?

Shine Supply/ Excel Evolution 5” Backing Plate, grease replacement, and new brushes. If that isn’t enough, working on technique, and if that still isn’t enough (the MKI’s don’t have a reputation for being all that powerful) then a pad upgrade or polisher upgrade may be in order.

Question: Have you tried stepping up your cutting fluid and pad combo in order to decrease machine speed?

Side Note: If I am given the chance to completely reset my pad inventory, I’d go with Lake Country HDO foam pads and their Foamed Interface and Extra Cut Lambswool pads. They rotate like nothing else I’ve ever used. These pads are over the Griots BOSS Foam Pads which are pretty good. The caveat is that the listed LC pads are pricey...
    I see that you are using microfiber pads, personal experience has shown me that microfiber pads consistently run higher temps than the equivalent foam pad due to increase in friction between the pad and surface, no matter the polish or supplemental wetting agent. Unfortunately, given the correct conditions, we can heat cycle the adhesive of our backing plates with the upper bounds of temperature getting close to the temperature in which the adhesive becomes pliable, thus degrading our backing plates to the point of Velcro delaminating from the face of the backing plate.
    Likes Stokdgs, bad penny liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    Side Note: If I am given the chance to completely reset my pad inventory, I’d go with Lake Country HDO foam pads and their Foamed Interface and Extra Cut Lambswool pads. They rotate like nothing else I’ve ever used. These pads are over the Griots BOSS Foam Pads which are pretty good. The caveat is that the listed LC pads are pricey...

Are these good for a short-stroke machine, too? Or are they overkill for that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Are these good for a short-stroke machine, too? Or are they overkill for that?
    Slapping the Foamed Interface Whool Pad on an 8mm machine is a dream. The rest of the HDO foam pads slightly out perform the BOSS pads on a short throw for big area use, they really shine in situations where one would need the foamed interface flex pad from Griot’s. As well, the HDO pads have the finishing ability of the LC CCS pads but with better cut, better heat management, and durability. I personally do not think they are overkill for an 8mm.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

TheMeanGree- Hey, I really appreciate your take on those LC HDO pads, esp. how they compare to the BOSS ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    Aren`t you a fan of the 3401? If so I might have a trade for you..

"Yes!" on Fan of Flex 3401, but I already have the only one I need (might never even need that unless I buy another new-to-me car). With any luck, my days of significant correction are behind me, and that`s all I use the Flex 3401 for as my others finish much better.

The extra time it takes to remove the pad delicately I can spend making money. When the bp starts to crap out I can Show Goo-it back together in 5 minutes.

Who`s the dummy now...
    I won`t answer that Q since the time it takes to remove a pad properly is incalculably brief and of zero monetary value compared to the time/hassle/product/etc. involved in doing repairs to the plate

After only 10 minutes of use I would be wanting my money back.
    But don`t you pause long enough for the pads to cool off after *MUCH LESS* use because you stop to clean the pads out? I spend *FAR* more time cleaning/swapping pads and inspecting that I actually spend polishing, not even a close comparison.

The machine I`m speaking of is 7 years old. I can almost guarantee you it needs new grease.
    It`s a first generation RUPES, so there`s really no option but to run at full speed if your trying to do something.
    Do the Rupes need more attention with regard to the grease/etc.? Just wondering since I`ve just never had to even think about that even when polishers were being used all day/all week by employees who didn`t care about `em.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information