Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice / help with overspray

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Shane B.- That Urethane you had to deal with sounds like the "melt into the oe paint" dilemma that I`m hoping re-tired isn`t dealing with.
    Actually exactly what happened... It was very textured, but the paint felt smooth as glass after using clay bar. Sheared off the high spots and all that was left was below the surface. It was not fun at all

Post Thanks / Like

Update-- clay bar still didnt touch it.
    Will try some of the afore mentioned solvents on friday.
    Hope I dont have to go the wet sanding route but if I do , I will start off @ 3K instead of 2K

Thanks to all of the fellas who gave input here-- really appreciate it-- keep `em coming!!

I will update this as I try what is suggested ;cause nothing I have tried so far on my own has even phased it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    It was not fun at all
    That sounds like a real understatement!

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired
    Update-- clay bar still didnt touch it.
    Will try some of the afore mentioned solvents on friday.
    Hope I dont have to go the wet sanding route but if I do , I will start off @ 3K instead of 2K

Thanks to all of the fellas who gave input here-- really appreciate it-- keep `em coming!!

I will update this as I try what is suggested ;cause nothing I have tried so far on my own has even phased it
    Aw, too bad the clay didn`t take care of it.

See if you get more feedback about which grit to use (if you end up going that route). Sometimes using too fine a grit can actually make things harder in the long run and I just don`t know enough about this to know which way I`d jump...at least not without actually being there and trying stuff myself.

This thread reminded me that I actually had to deal with this on my pal Bob`s Jag MKII...but fortunately it wasn`t a big deal (or else I would`ve remembered it sooner).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    I have recently acquired a vehicle with some hard core overspray of some type. Its some pretty coarse stuff-- but certainly not a type of concrete.

I hit it first with a rotary and rupes blue pad and sonax cutmax, made the surface a bit smoother but didnt even phase the overspray. Next I switched to a aggressive wool pad and the cutmax- no difference.
    I posted on a professional detailers YT video and asked him if I should try wet sanding-- his response , and he was serious was to try clay barring it.

What do you you folks suggest? I am thinking wet sanding starting @2K
    Im not sure if this will entirely help or not, but i had a customer who had paint overspray and i used my steamer to get it out. I have a before and after on my website, if it looks anything like the one in the link then it may help.
    Thanks re-tired thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GLDCLE View Post
    Im not sure if this will entirely help or not, but i had a customer who had paint overspray and i used my steamer to get it out. I have a before and after on my website, if it looks anything like the one in the link then it may help.
    No harm no foul to the new guy but linking to personal website is not permitted in the post body here at Autopia. The whole idea behind a forum like this is to bring information to this site so that members can come here to learn, share, take part in discussions and ask questions. Feel free to copy and paste information from your personal site here on Autopia. You may put a business link in your signature line. The link in the above post has been removed.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Little bit of a update:
    "Coarse " clay bar did not phase it
    Acetone on a MF towel did not phase it- def. need to polish that area for sure
    So I will probably sometime down the road attempt to wet sand a smaller section- not exactly sure when that will be though. Will do it by hand with a block instead of a DA
    When it gets sunny again I will take a photo and attempt to post it on here- but I am not computer guy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    Little bit of a update:
    "Coarse " clay bar did not phase it
    Acetone on a MF towel did not phase it- def. need to polish that area for sure
    So I will probably sometime down the road attempt to wet sand a smaller section- not exactly sure when that will be though. Will do it by hand with a block instead of a DA
    When it gets sunny again I will take a photo and attempt to post it on here- but I am not computer guy
    Sad to hear that it`s so bad you need to be wet sanding it. Is it on a larger area or is concentrated to a panel or 2?
    Hope it`s sorts out for you. Seems to be like it has melted into the oem paint sadly.

Post Thanks / Like

re-tired- I too am sorry to hear it`s being such a challenge...hope you get it sorted.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the hood of my jeep
    Its all over it
    Not on anything else

Post Thanks / Like

re-tired- Well, IMO that`s good news. A separate, relatively isolated (and flat) horizontal panel...even though it is the one "everybody looks at"/etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m surprised no one recommended goof-off

Sounds like enamel paint. I would start with a prayer and a medium grade speedy prep towel using soapy water as lube. With time and effort this should do it. If not I personally would go with 2000 grit over 3000 because 3000 will get clogged after every swipe.

Post Thanks / Like

Thinner is a no-go for me. I lost so many brain cells when I was a kid huffing glue I can`t afford to loose anymore if I can help it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information