Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Mazda, go at this with your rotary and wool pad!

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Great points on many things !

I can offer this -- If you don`t want to risk hurting something like a sharp edge, then Do Not put the running machine pad on the edge...

Trust me - you will Never be able to detect imperfections that are noticeable without a magnifier, on a sharp edge, so just leave them alone.. It`s a sharp edge, how much imperfection/s could ever occur on it in the first place??? Leave them alone...

I use only Rotary Power, and the only thing I ever tape off is rubber/plastic trim butted up right next to painted surfaces, and I tape it very straight, tight, 1 continuous piece of tape, and know how to slightly stretch it, and if necessary, put a slight crease in the tape going around really curvy parts, so it all looks even, and works better..

I guess years of learning how to tape up vehicles before priming and painting them, the same for dozens of houses, taping around windows, etc., I really learned how to tape smooth, tight, and no weird accumulations of tape in places, that can sometimes make your paint spray process go off because of the excess amount of tape jammed up in places..

The best thing about taping as much as possible in 1 long piece of tape, is that when it`s time to remove it, it also comes off quickly in 1 long piece..

You need to hold the roll of tape in one hand and use the other hand to place the tape on the edge and press it down, smooth it over, and keep pulling it off the roll with the other hand at the same time..
    Just keep the tape feeding out with the, for me, my left hand, while the right hand fingers are pressing the tape down - just perfectly- on that spot, all the way around the area you want to protect..

And yes, you will need to be able to do this with the tape in the other hand, etc., as well.. Any good Painter can do all of this including gunning the vehicle with either hand..

I don`t know why this Mazda has so little paint on it, I think they are opening up themselves for a huge amount of paint failures that may even look like the one GM had in the I believe early 80`s when a huge amount of vehicles had very early paint failure and the Dealers ended up repainting all of them...

Let`s hope history does not repeat itself..
    Dan F
    Ford in the mid seventies had bad problems with paint adhesion. I bough a new Ford LTD II and all the paint came off the hood! My first new car and my last Ford. I had thought about buying a Mazda for my wife, they look good and the reviews are very good, but we keep our vehicles for awhile and I know I would be correcting any vehicle my wife gets, so it looks like a New Volvo or used BMW in our future.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs
    I don`t know why this Mazda has so little paint on it, I think they are opening up themselves for a huge amount of paint failures that ..[end].. up repainting all of them...
    Unless they`re genuinely afraid of what you might do to their business, IME you`re just gonna get blown off the way I was over all my Mazda`s (and Subarus, and and and) issues.

People aren`t gonna die over paint failures, and look how little gets done (or how slowly its addressed) over issues that *do* result in deaths!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information