Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Rotary User Help

lol I got your warnings loud and clear and from talking to people it sounds like Iím going to be too careful to burn thru anything until I start burning test panels on purpose . the Camry is a dark blue Iíve always wanted to do a blue car mostly blacks,silvers and reds. Iím excited for the white I did a white Altima a few years ago that came out wonderful so I know what to expect on the whites..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
    2017 Yamaha R1M Race Bike

Detailing 13 Years...All Vehicle Tech for 15 years...Broke for 30 years

Post Thanks / Like

DarkThrottle- That dark blue might be a good one for spotting holograms/etc. pretty easily, it`s almost like black IMO.

I bet you`ll find that burning through, even deliberately, takes quite a bit of doing I was always having to remind myself that I could get more aggressive than I considered natural (maybe because most b/c is softer than the ss I grew up with), and maybe you`ll be the same way.
    Likes DarkThrottle liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok soooo today I finally got to run this new PE14 on my test hood

I got this hood from a local body shop for a steal of a deal as itís in great shape besides the over spray and scratches...I added a few scratches of my own sweeping it off with a broom and lightly running my keys across the surface...I wanted some varying scratches outside of the swirls and overspray from being in a body shop for a few years...Last night I gave it a bath with some cheap soap and clayed it with my mothers clay puck and got it nice and smooth....and taped it off for this mornings activities....

It was heavily swirled and I added some scratches of my own..

I was going to do a full wet sand but I decided to learn some simple scratch and swirl removal techniques on the top of the hood and do all my wet sanding on the lower half. The best part is that this Challenger hood has lots of contours and curves to learn how to handle the machine...I keep it flat most of the time but Iím learning how to edge with the machine at lower speeds..So far Ive worked between 600Ė1350 rpm monitoring panel heat with my infrared gun and my hand accordingly and surprisingly there was no heat like I expected generated...temps reached max 68-77 deg...I could comfortably touch it and it was barely warm.. I did wet sand 2 sections one with 1500 only and another with 1500 then 2000, I did 2 passes with Menzerna FG400 and a hybrid Orange pad and got ok results...I adjusted my grip on the machine and tried again and while it removed most of the sanding marks there were still a few so I tried SI1500 I had left (no pics of before SI1500) and got much better results no holograms yet...

This next section I did zero wet sanding i just polished with SI1500 and orange hybrid and then finished with white pad and SF4000 2 passes of each

Iíd say i did pretty well first time putting a rotary to paint

The bottles of polish Iím using are 8-5 years old but they still work well..I try to use my old stock in practice panels so it doesnít go to waste..

2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    DarkThrottle- That dark blue might be a good one for spotting holograms/etc. pretty easily, it`s almost like black IMO.

I bet you`ll find that burning through, even deliberately, takes quite a bit of doing I was always having to remind myself that I could get more aggressive than I considered natural (maybe because most b/c is softer than the ss I grew up with), and maybe you`ll be the same way.
    You know I actually donít think burning thru will be easy at all now that Iíve used the machine on a couple different speeds

2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information