Post Thanks / Like

Re: New G9 arrived!

Nice. I was looking at this model. Want to try it! My first long throw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jtford95 View Post
    Nice. I was looking at this model. Want to try it! My first long throw
    This is not a long throw (9mm)

Mike, how does the 9 compare to the gg6 in size?

Post Thanks / Like

Never mind, just saw Mike P post on Autogeek..much closer in size to the 15 and 21.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    This is not a long throw (9mm)

Mike, how does the 9 compare to the gg6 in size?
    I saw that. Still want to try it

Post Thanks / Like

I am still trying figure out where this polisher fits in with its 9mm throw, especially if it does not accept backing plates that are 4".

It is not small like an easy-to-handle Porter Cable Dual-Action Random Orbital.

The ONLY place I see its benefit may be on thin paints that a 15mm or 21mm LT-DA may be too aggressive. Thin paints are becoming the new norm on NEW vehicles, as Mike has pointed out with his Paint-Thickness Gauge (PTG) readings.
    I cannot see this polisher being used for ultra-fine polishing (burnishing/jeweling) or applying sealants and liquid waxes , BUT maybe I am wrong. Maybe that is its forte and purpose.

I was hoping it would be similar to Adam`s Mini-Swirl Killer with its 12mm throw AND accept 4" backing plates that would make it easy to handle for novices and hobbyist who do not use a polisher on a regular basis, yet still have the "muscle" (Amp power) to correct when needed. That is something the PC-DA does not have.

Will 2.0 version have a 10mm throw as a compromise?? (GEESH, let this version work its way through the detailing community first before making suggestions for improvements)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

You need to watch the YouTube broadcast with Jeff brown. I was gonna do a write up later, but I’ll tell you now, my 15 is put away!
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie - I’ll let Mike speak from a Pro’s perspective, but wanted to throw out my thoughts as a hobbyist who’s had some time behind a GG6. I received my G9 yesterday, and took some time at the end of the work day to polish the trunk lid of our shop (race) car.

Quick testing was done with Fast Correcting Cream, the new Gen 2 5” ventilated backing plate, and a standard thick 5.5” Griot’s Orange Correcting Pad (Non-BOSS).

Regarding the size, while it is longer than the GG6, it didn’t feel unwieldy. In fact, the first thing that stood out was how well balanced it felt. I kept trying different hand positioning, not because I needed to in order to find a comfortable way to run it, but just because it was so easy to run you could change it up to find out what was best for that panel.

Stand out feature was the pad rotation. I don’t know how much of it is the digital speed controller (if you watch the video, the motor’s got a speed sensor and gets regulated by a digital speed controller. So your speed setting is not X amount of power to turn the motor, it’s X demanded speed) versus just the higher HP motor in it, but pad rotation was constant unless you really tipped the machine over. If you wanted to lean on it, even with the thicker pad it just motor’d on. I didn’t have any 6” stuff with me, but it strikes me like it’ll have no problem moving the bigger pad around.

I haven’t made it through the whole YouTube live video Mike mentioned yet, but the 9mm orbit strikes me as a compromise between satisfying the professionals who will buy their tools for production use (who gain 12% in throw) and the novices who will buy their tools without seeking education from a forum like this (who will correct a whole car with one pad and wonder why it came apart). I’m sure it also contributes to helping reduce vibration.
    It does lose some versatility for folks who just want one machine since it’s not recommended to run 3” pads (I believe they said in the video that part of the counterweight is left exposed, plus the plate not being optimized for the machine weight wise). That’s one strength of the GG6, which I’m sure will still be available from other retailers as the G9 replaces the GG6 on the Griot’s site.

For myself, I sold my GG6 to a coworker to fund the G9 purchase. If the G9 is any more comfortable or efficient, it’ll pay for the upgrade during the 2 cars I have at home needing full corrections. I’ve got a GG3 for tight spots.

For anyone who has a GG6, and $150 isn’t such a big deal (or you use these as tools that pay for themselves), I could totally see keeping a GG6 set up for 3” work with a G9 for the bulk of your correction. Disclaimer - This from a hobbyist perspective. I don’t have experience with 15+ mm machines, so I can’t speak for how any of this compares with having a long throw on hand.

Sorry for the novela - just wanted to share my thoughts, but didn’t feel like it justified starting a whole thread based on my experience on a trunk lid. I’m figure I’m probably not the only one reading on here at my skill/experience level, and hope it can be helpful to someone weighing their options (or just looking to hear about the new machine).
    Likes mc2hill, JustJesus, Stokdgs, Lonnie liked this post
    Thanks Diner, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

OneHeadlight- Novella or not (hey, far shorter than a lot of my posts!), I found your take on it informative.

Mike lambert- I`ve been looking forward to your take(s) on this

Given our past discussions on the topic of, uhm...Polisher/User Aggressiveness...I`m not surprised that this will basically replace your BOSS15. I bet this G9 is pretty much right down your alley, huh?

Wild guess: you`re running it at speeds 3-4, right?
    Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit I did try it at 5! LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit, it does intrigue me. Especially after watching Griot`s initial release video. Not the live stream video, though I did see that anyway.

I love the quick disconnect feature. It would be sweet if their future BOSS line, or even a GG3 would have the same feature. It could make for less mess around a detailing cart. One cord, 2-3 machines. Love that idea

Already having the PC, the GG6, and the Megs MT300, I`m not jumping on getting one of these. But, like i mentioned above, it does intrigue me. Their buy back offer is a little tempting.

I do use my 3401 more than the others, though, so I`m not quite ready to buy this new one. The others do have their use, though. Each machine set up for a different use.

I did kind of get the impression that they might be working on a 3" backing plate that will be suitable for this one. But that`s just me. (but let`s think about it.... if this will be outright replacing the GG6, then what options will future buyers have for a 3" plate/pad? Spend way more for another machine (their GG3)? Who knows. But I`m curious)

In other news....Flex is introducing a new machine as well. Sunday, I believe? OH SORRY! This thread is for the G9.

You know what else would be cool? An adapter that can plug into the back of the machine, to utilize batteries making it a cordless machine!!!
    Likes Oneheadlite, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus - My impression from the livestream video was that more machines are coming to address the 3" issue VS a different backing plate; I`m guessing the GG3 will get replaced, and they`ll do updates to the BOSS machines including adopting the quick disconnect cord. That would be sweet to swap machines on the go to the same cord.

Got a catalog from them the other day, their 30th Anniversary is coming up, guessing they`ve got something up their sleeve to celebrate.

Hard part with adapting the G9 to run off batteries would be figuring out the weight balance. That`s a sizable chunk of weight you`d tack on...

And your Flex comment made me laugh out loud. Hey man - the more tool updates, the better it is for all of us. Just like smart phones, the more they race to get ahead of each other, the better it is for consumers.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Review.....
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

Post Thanks / Like

Coming up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    JustJesus - My impression from the livestream video was that more machines are coming to address the 3" issue VS a different backing plate; I`m guessing the GG3 will get replaced, and they`ll do updates to the BOSS machines including adopting the quick disconnect cord. That would be sweet to swap machines on the go to the same cord.

Got a catalog from them the other day, their 30th Anniversary is coming up, guessing they`ve got something up their sleeve to celebrate.

Hard part with adapting the G9 to run off batteries would be figuring out the weight balance. That`s a sizable chunk of weight you`d tack on...

And your Flex comment made me laugh out loud. Hey man - the more tool updates, the better it is for all of us. Just like smart phones, the more they race to get ahead of each other, the better it is for consumers.

Until one of the manufacturers realizes that they, too, can "Think Different" and start making a high priced item with terribly awful components, whilst still raising the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information