Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Griots G9

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots G9

Looks like a nice update to the GG6. The removable cord is the kind of feature that sets it apart from the myriad of other Chinese polishers.

For me, the only polishers / electric tools I’m buying from here out are cordless. My guess is many are coming. If they use the same tech Milwaukee / Dewalt use for batteries - 2 batteries and you’ll be good.

Post Thanks / Like

You’re back !

How have you been ?

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I`d pick it up just for the quick release cord!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Looks like a nice update to the GG6. The removable cord is the kind of feature that sets it apart from the myriad of other Chinese polishers.

For me, the only polishers / electric tools I’m buying from here out are cordless. My guess is many are coming. If they use the same tech Milwaukee / Dewalt use for batteries - 2 batteries and you’ll be good.

I would love to see a partnership between Milwaukee and Griot`s for an M18 based BOSS G15/G21 and an M12 based iBird alternative. Partnering would save so much in R&D, for either company.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks nice. Great features and if anything like the boss 15 it’ll be smooth and quiet. I too was hoping for a mini polisher or a coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes felixthecat, Brownie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like the tidbit at the end from Nick, to keep an eye out for further innovations that touch every orbital they sell. I really hope they can bring the price down on the updates for the Boss polishers, especially considering all of the features the G9 has for the price of $150. It`s not expensive for manufacturers to put together affordable and quality 15 & 21mm options, the Chechnya S15 I`ve been working with is certainly proof of this, it`s been an awesome polisher. Would love to see the updated Boss G15 dip well below the current $365 pricing and carry over the new features of the G9.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes SWETM, Brownie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    I would love to see a partnership between Milwaukee and Griot`s for an M18 based BOSS G15/G21 and an M12 based iBird alternative. Partnering would save so much in R&D, for either company.
    I agree. Cordless tools are awesome; but it`s hard for the casual usual to justify $570 for the Flex cordless w/ 2 batteries when you already have the corded versions. The Adams version is 1/2 the price and looks pretty nice. If Griots came out with a similarly priced version would be a winner.

Really, I think it would be awesome if someone came out with a conversion kit for the 7424 or GG 6 to 18v.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
    Likes Desertnate, Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I agree. Cordless tools are awesome; but it`s hard for the casual usual to justify $570 for the Flex cordless w/ 2 batteries when you already have the corded versions. The Adams version is 1/2 the price and looks pretty nice. If Griots came out with a similarly priced version would be a winner.
    Completly agree for the casual hobby user. I only use my polisher a couple times a year at most now that I`m using coatings. The cost alone takes the tool completly out of consideration and having one with batteries which would do nothing but sit on a charger or in a cabinet taking up space is not a good option. Having a power cord really isn`t that big of a deal.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes DarkThrottle, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Got the G9 in today, I`ll share some quick thoughts and first impressions. It feels good in the hands, love the ergonomics on the front grip. The body is definitely smaller than the Boss/Rupes models. Quality looks good, some rough edges I noticed on the seam underneath the front platypus head where it`s not mating up super flush. This is going to bother me over time, it`s a spot where if you have your grip over the head, your fingers are going to really notice the rougher edges of this seam, the rest of the polisher looks great though.

I`m loving the quick disconnect power cord, I wish every single one of my polishers had this feature now, especially the newer Rupes with their longer cords. The cord feels like a quality cord and has a good velcro strap for wrapping it up, feels sturdy when plugged into the polisher. Ambidextrous speed dial is a nice idea and is large, however on the right handed side it`s positioned a bit further into the surrounding rubber casing than on the left handed side, makes it a bit harder to adjust the dial for a righty on my G9. Trigger lock feels good, trigger is okay, it`s not progressive and it doesn`t feel anywhere near as good or smooth as my Rupes or Chechnya, but it will get the job done. The rubber tool rest is a nice touch, I always kept the D-handle on the GG6 as a tool rest, should be a standard for all polishers going forward.

I immediately swapped over the 5" Griot`s backing plate (#10555), this plate is a direct replacement for the G9. I`m away from most of my gear and polishers at the moment, I only have 6" Rupes pads and a few B&S 5.5" pads, and the Chechnya S15 to compare the G9 to directly. The G9 definitely has power, speed 6 seems like a monster. Not the most quiet polisher, but I generally run some form of ear protection with all my DA`s. Now, with the 5" plate and 6" Rupes pads, there`s definitely still some vibration getting through. Compared side by side with the S15, it`s a night and day difference, the S15 is smooth butter like the Rupes. Same story with the 5.5" B&S flat pads. It`s certainly still a smooth polisher especially compared to the earlier models and feels better than the GG6, and it`s possible my 5" setup is throwing it out a balance slightly. I might run out and grab a 6" Griot`s pad locally and throw the 6" plate back on to see if it balances it out better since they designed it around the 6" setup.

Overall, good first impressions, definite noticeable improvements over the GG6 and offered for the same price, can`t ask for much more than that! The quick disconnect power cord should be an industry standard if it can prove durable enough, awesome idea. Imagine only needing one cord for all of your polishers.

Size profile compared to the S15:

Seam underneath head that`s not flush:

WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes The Guz, SWETM, Stokdgs, tom p., Mary B and 2 others liked this post
    Thanks Diner, mc2hill, Stokdgs, Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if there is a complete seal at the seam? Could be a dirt collection site.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d sure want to level that seam before I spent much time with it! Not that such stuff bothers me (optimistically figuring I`m not paying for the better build-quality).

What makes the detachable cord a Feature? Even if I cared about being able to remove it, that sounds like trouble waiting to happen down the road...

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like they have done a great job on this. Wondering why it`s a no no with the 3" backing plate on it? Loach are up for testing it out if you able to do it?

Smiled a little when I saw they put up what grease the have in it Mobile1 I think it was. There you see the power of youtubers reviews on things. Think it`s a direct cause of Brian at Apex Detailing Channel on Youtube which takens apart polishers when he reviews them and always recommend you to switch out the grease. Maybe Griots Garage gets many questions of what grease they have in their polishers LOL.

And when even Mike Phillips mentions it`s to much of power on speed 6 and he dials it down to speed 5. Then you know it has plenty of torque and power from it. Maybe this is why they don`t recommend you to use a 3" backing plate on it. Since it would spinn that backing plate and pad too much? Or that the counter weight is a little heavier so the balance gets thrown off too much.

As much of a great feature with the detactable cord. I agree with accumulator that`s seems to be like trouble waiting down the road. Hope it`s not though. Wish they would have these in 220v-240v versions too. But since not so much on the EU market that`s not going to be happening. Shinemate would be a close brand to GG polisher. It`s them who does the Adam`s Swirl Killer polishers. Anyone know which are manufacturing the GG polishers?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the G9 is manufactured by someone different than whoever made the BOSS 15 and 21, but haven`t heard any rumblings of who the actual manufacturer is.

They specifically mention on the Griot`s site (in the Q&A for the 3" HD backing plate) that the 3" plate is a no-go. I wouldn`t be surprised if it`s related to balance of the moving parts, but I saw someone on AG mention cooling/air flow with the 5 and 6" backing plates.

If designed well, I`m not sure the removable cord could be a drawback. The plug housing locks into the body of the polisher and seems to me would transfer any of the flexing to the cord itself. Now if you wreck a cord, you can simply get a replacement VS needing to open up the machine (or exchange it). They show one of their guys whipping the G9 around his head via the cord (but don`t recommend doing it yourself (har har), showing how confident they are in that locking plug.

I`ve often thought about adding a "service connection" in the power cord of my pressure washer, just because it`s so much easier (to me) to just wrap up a naked cord. Looking forward to that feature when my G9 shows up. Should be here this afternoon.
    Likes Brownie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My G9 just showed up. Initial impressions - feels good in the hands! Only had a chance to spin it up in the air, but seems like at normal working speeds it could be slightly quieter than the GG6. Wide open it’s on par. Speed dial is nice and easy to access.

5lbs even on the scale, the GG6 was 5.6.

Since they apparently expect me to get work done at work, I’ll have to check in later once I get a chance to throw a pad on it and put it on some paint.
    Thanks Diner thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

8mm seem to always vibrate more than the long throws. Nice price..... with my boss gg15 and Adam’s SK mini I have no need but still am feeling a need to buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    ..And when even Mike Phillips mentions it`s to much of power on speed 6 and he dials it down to speed 5...
    Note that Mike Lambert doesn`t even run his GG6 at top speed. I myself wonder why they would set units up with "speeds you shouldn`t use" (yeah, yeah..I can guess at least a few marketing-related reasons), but IMO it sounds like a swell unit regardless of that (and the detachable cord), might perfectly fulfill the needs of most users.

Oh, and on that cord, I`m not so much worried about it coming undone under stress but rather that the connection might wear over time. Cords oughta last forever IMO (as the one on my oldest Cyclo probably will). If people find it a Feature, then OK!, lots of things do/don`t matter to different people

EDIT: Ya know...if I didn`t already have a crazy number of polishers (let alone for a guy who seldom polishes ), I`d probably want one of these GG9 things myself. Though I`d *have* to have something in the 3" range..shame it can`t accommodate that (but I bet somebody will figure out a hack for it).
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information