I still use terry cloth
    Post Thanks / Like

FLEX PE 14-2 150 Running Hot

When using one of these in the summer months, how hot should it get? Mine will get hot enough that I can`t hold it for more than a few seconds at a time. The vent holes are open and the internal fan seems to be spinning fine.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: FLEX PE 14-2 150 Running Hot

Quote Originally Posted by truzoom View Post
    When using one of these in the summer months, how hot should it get? Mine will get hot enough that I can`t hold it for more than a few seconds at a time. The vent holes are open and the internal fan seems to be spinning fine.
    How high speed/s are you running it ? How long are you running it at that speed/s before you stop ?
    Dan F

I still use terry cloth
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    How high speed/s are you running it ? How long are you running it at that speed/s before you stop ?
    Dan F
    The dial stays on the "1" which I believe is up to 600 rpm. I`ll polish a 2`x2` section of a panel with 2 passes before setting it down to rest. Since it`s a rotary, I let the weight of the machine do the work so I`m not bogging down the motor or anything.

It just builds up heat so quickly and seems unable to dissipate the heat quickly enough for me to use it without taking long breaks between sections.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, there`s two really surprising things about this thread--one is that a PE 14 is running so hot...and the second is...TRUZOOM....after who knows how many years.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

The dial stays on the "1" which I believe is up to 600 rpm. I`ll polish a 2`x2` section of a panel with 2 passes before setting it down to rest. Since it`s a rotary, I let the weight of the machine do the work so I`m not bogging down the motor or anything.

It just builds up heat so quickly and seems unable to dissipate the heat quickly enough for me to use it without taking long breaks between sections.
    Truzoom --
    There is No Way in heck that machine should be getting that hot on the setting and nbr of passes, with no pressure, for this lightweight machine...

Have you checked to see the condition of the Brushes ???

Is the power cord from the machine handle in perfect condition where the cord goes into the machine end ? Is it frayed, or otherwise damaged at that point?

What is the size of the extension cord/s you are using ? I would use nothing smaller than 14awg extension cords no longer than 20-25 feet.. This means no 16awg, 18awg extension cords, etc., which will get too hot because the wire diameter is too small..

12awg on the other end, is really best, but it is just too heavy and large a cord to be dragging all around and up to the top and down of a vehicle..

I use 14awg for hours at a time (10+ hours) with a Makita at no higher than 1,000rpm and even doing Airplanes, I never have had an issue with electricity, etc...

Is there a zillion other things plugged into the outlet that you are using to power up this machine ?

The only other thing I can think of is that the vents for that machine are plugged up or something and it is not getting any airflow through it..
    Will you please look it over and see if there is anything amiss ??

If it passes everything just fine, then there is an electrical problem inside the motor that will have to be addressed..

Hope it is still under warranty.. If not, it is not a complicated machine to service unless it needs special parts from Germany or something..

Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Send that lemon back

Post Thanks / Like

I will assume that:
    1) Your outlet and wiring, where ever you are plugging this rotary into, are sufficient to handle the amperage of the machine AND that the electrical service from whatever source you have is constant and not varying or under-powered OR that the wiring at the outlet plug-in box is correct (IE, it is not flipped around, which can be checked with a polarity tool)
    2) You are not using this on a 16 or 20 gauge-wire extension cord (should be 12-gauge)
    3) Age and hours of usage on this particular buffer, which would suggest the wear on the brushes of the rotor/commutator.
    4) You are not resetting circuit breakers or replacing fuses when this happens, which would indicate the electrical wiring cannot handle the amperage of this rotary OR that, yes, you have a defective machine.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I just double checked in the description of the pe-14-2. And it has a temperature monitoring and also a overload protection. Very rare that these gets activated though. Have heard in some environments the VRG3401 can be needed to be put down and rest to cool down before you are able to polishing again. This makes me think that you have some problems with the VR electronics. Or that you have some problems before this as in the extensions cord or electric outlets that`s been suggested before. So if it`s not the electrics before I would send it in for trouble shooting. Think that you can get these VR electronics and switch them your self. But haveing someone that are used to be working with these polishers insides and can measure where the problem is. Is better than just guessing what could be wrong. First take a real good look at all of the electrics before this VR module. Don`t know if the very first versions had these VR module in them if you have one of the first years of these polishers.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

I still use terry cloth
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the late response.

As far as extension cords and outlets go, I`ve had the heat issues when using the polisher without an extension cord. However, when I DO use an extension cord it`s a 25ft 12ga one. Plugged directly into an outlet.

The unit probably has less than 20 hours of use on it, so I would doubt the brushes are worn.

I`ll see if I can disassemble the outer shell and check the inners for any built up dust.

Setec - Glad to see you!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I question I don`t think was asked yet

Are you running machine directly into outlet or via extension cord..
    If extension cord what gauge wire?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I see 14 gauge...that`s creating too much resistant which is why it`s overheating..
    Switch to 12 or 10 gauge

I still use terry cloth
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    Oh I see 14 gauge...that`s creating too much resistant which is why it`s overheating..
    Switch to 12 or 10 gauge
    No I`m using a 12ga extension cord, when I do use an extension cord.

But sometimes I run directly from the outlet and there are still heat issues.

Thread Information