Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Polisher for Novice...

Hi to all...

First will state that i am a newbie using Polishers but have been polishing my cars manually but want to move on as it is a lot of time consuming which i don`t have now.

I have been doing a lot of readings on Polishers and dialed it down to the Groit`s Garage 6" with a 5" back plate. I will be using this only on my cars which are Ford Explorer 2011, Ford Mustang GT 2019 and Nissan 350Z 2004. I consider that my paints are very good as i use to manual polish them every 2 months.

My main question is: Should i really go with the Groits or should i spend a little more and get a Rupes or any other suggestion and how are they comparable with vibration and noise?

I don`t want to buy twice but maybe it is not worth the investment. Thanks for your honest suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polisher for Novice...

wcharon- Welcome to Autopia!

Short answer: I`d buy the GG Boss15 and use their pads/polishes.

Longer answer: If you`re doing OK manually other than the time expenditure, I`d get either stick with the GG6 or buy their Boss15. I only have one Rupes polisher (and it`s probably not the one you`re considering) so I might not be the best guy to comment on them, but IMO if you want to spend more than the GG6 I would not go the Rupes route.

If you want to try a somewhat off-brand approach, there are some imported polishers that some here consider All That, and that cost a lot less than name brand units. While I *suspect* that they`re fine, I myself would rather patronize Griot`s.

The only reason I`d consider recommending something more potent than the GG6 is your "don`t want to buy twice" comment. SO many people buy something they expect to be sufficient, only to come back after a little while and say they need something more aggressive. Even though I hardly *ever* polish, I`d sure hate to be limited to my GG6 because even though I do like it; it just doesn`t do the work fast enough for me.

But that`s just me, and I bet your clearcoats (Ford, Nissan) are softer/easier to correct than most of mine are (I do have one Ford).

Vibration is just *so* subjective! I find both the GG6 and their Boss15 fine and I`m a bit sensitive to vibration. I don`t find my Rupes appreciably better in that regard, but I haven`t used it much (which possibly says something about it; it`s just not what I reach for). I can`t comment on the noise as that`s just never been an issue for me (which sure doesn`t mean it`s *not* an issue for others, that subjectivity again...).

If you`ll pardon some unsolicited advice, I`d try to figure out why you need to polish (at all) so regularly. There`s only so much clearcoat you can afford to take off so (abrasive) polishing oughta be kept to a minimum; some of us don`t polish for years on end.

Post Thanks / Like

Very simple, from what you say, Griot’s. Boss pads and perfecting cream and finishing Sealant. Top with whatever you like.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike lambert- I don`t see an explicit polisher recommendation in your reply, but I`m *guessing* you`d say GG6 rather than the BOSS15, right?

Post Thanks / Like

GG6 is all anyone needs unless they are trying to go really, really fast. I quit using my rotary after M105 and the GG6 came out. New paint is so thin now too, just no need for crazy fast cutting.
    Likes tropicsteve, tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m sorry, yes the 6 is all you’ll need, the large throw is more for correction and doesn’t really work for wax application as easy. Get used to the 6 and if you expand into neighborhood cars and some extra money, go for the 15.
    Likes lloydrm, BudgetPlan1, tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for the recommendations and sorry for the delay o the responses as i didn`t have activated the instant notification.

Seems like the G6 is the route to go.... Very appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I spent a lot of time considering the same as you. Didn’t mind spending more if needed and didn’t want to buy twice. I settled on a boss g15 and if your correcting paint definitely better than the gg6. A lot less vibration and corrected and finished well. Was down to this and the duetto. Absolutely do not regret.

This was my 1st polisher and 1st polishing job (now 4 under my belt).

I also did this because I was willing to get a 3” machine. After a lot of research and recommendations went with Adams SK mini. Perfect set up for all your cars (owned a Z and current is 16 mustang GT) will cut work time down and both highly thought of machines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, I hadn`t thought of the LSPing-by-machine, kinda quit doing that when I switched to FK1000P. I agree that the GG6 would probably be better for that though I haven`t tried it with the BOSS15.

wcharon- I hope you post back if you get a chance, I`d really like to hear how it works out for you.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with using long throw machines for applying especially sealants, is because of the extreme motions, it tend to start curing the Sealant and causing streaks.

Post Thanks / Like

For novus any free spin dual action polisher is the best why because you had no bad habits from a previous machine I would recommend a long throw because even with lack of skills you`ll still get better results then when you find 2 no skills you`ll get better results in the standard at 8 mm check out cut Force polishers

Post Thanks / Like

Phone won`t let me edit previous post but the gist was when when do the machine polishing you`ll get better results with a long throw you need a custom that machine and your skills I perfected you still get better results than a standard throw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I spent a lot of time considering the same as you. Didn’t mind spending more if needed and didn’t want to buy twice. I settled on a boss g15 and if your correcting paint definitely better than the gg6. A lot less vibration and corrected and finished well. Was down to this and the duetto. Absolutely do not regret.

This was my 1st polisher and 1st polishing job (now 4 under my belt).

I also did this because I was willing to get a 3” machine. After a lot of research and recommendations went with Adams SK mini. Perfect set up for all your cars (owned a Z and current is 16 mustang GT) will cut work time down and both highly thought of machines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Need to try CutForce 12mm mini
    900 watts
    6500 OPM
    175 shipped
    Have one left in stock with your name on it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    The problem with using long throw machines for applying especially sealants, is because of the extreme motions, it tend to start curing the Sealant and causing streaks.
    I’ve always gotten super fine micro tic marks in the paint, whenever I have tried to apply a wax or sealant with a long throw. Shoot, I’ve had the same happen to me on an 8mm machine, granted the *tics’* are smaller, on certain paints.

Post Thanks / Like

The closest I`ve come to applying LSPs with a Long Throw is doing it via Cyclo (which they do consider a LT). Zero issues, works great, my favorite way to do it by machine.

But eh, much as I like LSPing by Machine, I hardly ever do it. I`m done (manually) faster than I could get out/clean up/put away a polisher (and that`s on big vehicles) and doing it by machine uses *many times* the product compared to doing it manually (noting that I`m kinda fanatical about that and it might not work that way for others). The utterly minimal diff in results, which nobody else would ever see, isn`t worth it to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information