Post Thanks / Like

Festool Rotex sanders/polishers for da car

Up until a few months ago I was a Festool dealer, so I have some of their sanders still on hand including 2 rotary type sanders RO 150 (6") and RO 90 (3.5"). These are dual mode sanders - random orbital and flipping the switch gives you low rpm rotary sanding/polishing. I have used these a couple of years ago on my 2006 Outback with good results, but I was not doing what I would call "fine detailing" - just basic swirl and light scratch removal. No looking at the finish under swirl/hologram lighting, just a good down and dirty compound and polish before applying a sealant.

I will do a full and thorough decon this Spring including compound and polish on my Outback as well as coating removal and polishing (remove very slight swirls and holograms) on my Audi.
    Question - for my limited usage would I gain anything or much of anything by using a simple dedicated polisher - GG/Rupes, etc, over my 2 Festool sanders/polishers?

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Festool Rotex sanders/polishers for da car

Doubtful. As long as you finish with a soft polishing pad and a fine polish you should be OK

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely! Use something like the Griot’s GG6, 8 mm throw versus that slight vibration the festoon gives you. Used one of those at a class I helped teach. It did nothing on paint! It’s as you know a woodworking tool, not designed for automotive paint. Using the right tools with the right liquid will not only save you time, it will yield better results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Absolutely! Use something like the Griot’s GG6, 8 mm throw versus that slight vibration the festoon gives you. Used one of those at a class I helped teach. It did nothing on paint! It’s as you know a woodworking tool, not designed for automotive paint. Using the right tools with the right liquid will not only save you time, it will yield better results.
    Mike,

Are you referring to the Rotex 150 (6") sander? Did you use it in the Rotary mode?

Post Thanks / Like

Used it both ways, it is a wonderful woodworking tool, but I honestly wouldn’t waste my time trying to do a car with it. No offense meant, the tools are awesome for what they were designed for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Used it both ways, it is a wonderful woodworking tool, but I honestly wouldn’t waste my time trying to do a car with it. No offense meant, the tools are awesome for what they were designed for.
    No offense taken, but I`m surprised.

Thread Information