Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are waxes , sealants and coatings surface contamination?

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I’m still lost as to what is being implied. Are you saying that a car that is waxed will end up with more contaminants (not including the wax itself being called a contaminate per the OP) than it would with no protection at all?
    I`m not sure that there is any way of measuring that other than to look at a clarbar. The clear coat is certainly harder than any wax and waxes break down in the heat, so it`s possible the wax would hold more contaminants than paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I`m not sure that there is any way of measuring that other than to look at a clarbar. The clear coat is certainly harder than any wax and waxes break down in the heat, so it`s possible the wax would hold more contaminants than paint.
    OK. I will stop trying to figure out what`s going on. Sorry if I confused anyone else! I`m done for now

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to start any confusion, do you consider removing any protection as part of the decontamination process?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Not trying to start any confusion, do you consider removing any protection as part of the decontamination process?
    Not sure if this was intended for me or not.. I never thought of removing the existing LSP part of the “decon process”; however I saw it as a valuable step to be done prior to the decon process, to remove as much of the former LSP as possible to prevent it from messing with my polish.

In other words, I do the step but just never thought of it as “decon”, until maybe now.

I will note however that if I’m going a compound or aggressive swirl remover step, I’m less concerned about trying to remove LSP prior to these steps. I figure they can handle trace amounts of LSP while still providing their expected performance/cutting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    The average car owner probably washes their car once or twice a month in nice weather. This is why wash and wax products and spray waxes are the latest thing OTC. I`d be surprised if more than 10-15% of car owners even wax their car anymore.

I bought P21s years ago, looked great but I think it only last about 3 weeks or so. I think as the waxes break down, more and more contaminants fall through the cracks, so to speak, and attach to the paint. If caught soon enough they might wash off, if not they might adhere more strongly. The worst offender is road tar during the summer months.
    I think once or twice a month is generous even when it is nice! Agree with you on spray waxes. I used OCW on my Wrangler for 3 years almost exclusively, after every wash. After about 3 years it was finally feeling like it should be clayed. As good as the spray stuff is, there really is no good reason to spend time with a sealant or even a coating as long as you maintain the spray wax.

Post Thanks / Like

I try to get everything I can off before polishing, just to save some time, however I still cut each section twice if the product is not doing what I usually see. Figuring I’m removing something left? Learned this from Rod Kraft years ago, and now Kevin Brown is explaining it very well in the Ammo video. Just brought it up to give us something to think about before trying multiple products.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information