Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What $99 gets you...

A few months ago I got an email from Dr Colorchip with a $99 polisher deal. This is what I got:

The green pad is Sonax branded and the yellow pad looks and feels exactly like a Rupes.
    Can’t really tell the quality of the polish but it looks and smells ok.
    It also came with replacement brushes.

I put it side by side with my Rupes 15 MK II and there were minor differences (not saying this has Rupes quality). I do like the speed dial being vertical instead of horizontal as it is easier to “thumb” over.

Since I bought this I have receive two 15% off offers that would drop the price even more. The two pads would cost around $30 and let’s say $10 for two bottles of polish, that makes this $60 buck polisher! Damn that’s cheap!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes tropicsteve, Dan, Loach, jtford95, Vegas1 and 3 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What $99 gets you...

Rupes knock off? How does it work?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    Rupes knock off? How does it work?
    For sure a Rupes knockoff. Even the Allen wrench is the same. If you blindfolded me it would be difficult to tell which was which. I haven’t test driven it yet, but it makes it difficult to suggest a Griots or Porter Cable over this setup.

Speaking of Porter Cable polishers. I hear that they were bought by some company and are now being produced in Mexico and having some quality problems. Might be time to stop suggesting PC to first time users? I know Accumulator has been having doubts for awhile.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks tom p. thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Speaking of Porter Cable polishers. I hear that they were bought by some company and are now being produced in Mexico and having some quality problems. Might be time to stop suggesting PC to first time users? I know Accumulator has been having doubts for awhile.
    They have been made in Mexico for forever, at least since the XP came out. I`m actually surprised that they would still be making them there and haven`t moved the production to China. They were bought by Black and Decker in 2004, which started the end of the US mfg.
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

That`s very cool!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool, I`m sure it works great an last but for me I refuse to buy knockoffs just because I recognize how much it cost it took innovate. I do enjoy supporting market innovators, regardless if they are the market leader.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah wouldn’t call it a knock off. Knock off is basically a copy version trying to pass off as the original. If the first car was a ford then Chevy a knock off? U.S. makes 1st cars so bimmer, Mercedes knock offs? Rupes evolutionized the long throw but of course with good ideas their will be more evolution. Griots “copied” rupes with the long throw but also evolved it. Probably the reason for the MK III. Is the lake country polisher coming out a knock off? No it’s an evolution of a DA’s. Rupes came out with a forced rotation but you won’t buy it because it’s a flex knock off? Some people’s definition of knock off are because it’s made in China. China makes all quality of things good and bad. and parts of our favorite machine could be manufactured there. When a compNy chooses to manufacture their the can control the quality and build something. These guys build nuclear bombs and air craft carriers..... and probably 80% of the cell phones. The reason for these heap “knock offs” is because consumer demand not manufacturer supply. Now I would agree not buying it because it is cheap and probably made with sub par parts.

Post Thanks / Like

For sure a Rupes knockoff. Even the Allen wrench is the same. If you blindfolded me it would be difficult to tell which was which. I haven’t test driven it yet, but it makes it difficult to suggest a Griots or Porter Cable over this setup.

Lol.... can guarantee it’s not up to par of a griots or porter cable. Based off cost of products.

Like saying you can’t recommend a duetto over a gg6.

Post Thanks / Like

Also thisWhat  gets you...What  gets you...

Likes Never Enuff, DaveT435, EXPDetailing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Many polishers made in China get good reviews, Griots, Das6, Torq, etc. We don’t know what the seller pays for the tool. We only know what we pay for it. Griots has such a lax warranty program I would have to believe their polishers don’t cost them much or instead of getting a new polisher when you send one in to be repaired you would get a refurb product. I’m not saying this tool has Rupes quality but for the money it would be difficult to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1, dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Most exchanges from what I’ve read about (2 or 3) were refurbished.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread, because this knock-off issue was discussed ad nauseam in 2014 when Optimum introduced its "own" DA polisher.
    Please see thread: New Optimum DA
    My response is post #72.
    GB detailer
    Likes Coatings=crack, The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks rlmccarty! I remember when you (?) posted the link. I couldn`t believe the price of it. I almost bought one myself, but with already too many tools (and having already sold off my Rupes 21mm) I couldn`t justify buying it. For the price, I almost did.

That`s a pretty darn good deal for someone looking to get a low priced polisher.

i hope you come back and share the user experience when you`ve used it some.
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a 15mm or 21mm orbit machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah don’t wanna bring up old stuff just my 2 cents. I bought a Griots gg15 as from what I read not as good as Rupes but close. Don’t really care who makes it if it’s not made in the good old USA. I am looking for a cheap/knock off or whatever you wanna call it 3” DA. RLM, did the offer a mini?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information