Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry another Newby which machine thread

Not a pro just a weekend warrior have 4 vehicles to take care of Gen 1 Raptor (Mine) Gen 2 Raptor (Son`s) Chevy Colorado work truck I drive at work and back and forth from work (so I figure I should maintain the appearance) and my wife`s 04 explorer. No major correction needed just swirls and what not and polishing. Money not really a concern as I want to buy the best the first time. Spent lots of time on various forums but getting more confused the more i read. Was looking at and pretty locked in on a Rupes 21 but think a 15 may be more appropriate also looking at a Flex XC 3401 machine and GG 6 & 15. I have came to realize there is no one perfect machine. So i need something with some versatility as well. If you could only have one what would you get. Now leaning to the 3401. Thanks in advance as I need to order soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sorry another Newby which machine thread

21 is harder to control for intricate panels. 15 is the right compromise IMHO.
    Likes Bladegunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever machine you buy, make sure you have MANY (at least 4) pads of that size backing plate so that you do not have to take it off, clean it, , spin it out of excess water and soap, re-prime it, to continue on your correction process. You should have at least three different foam pads densities/hardness (as distinguished by their colors) and a maybe one or two microfiber types. Depends on the compounds and polishes you will be using.
    You are in the same boat starting out as a new detailing hobbyist as are many hobbyist looking for the Holy Grail in a buffing machine. My suggestion is to buy a used Griot`s Garage Boss15 or Rupe`s MKI 15 (OR the MKII, if you can find one!). That way you do not have to spend a lot of money on a NEW machine, starting out, especially if you find that detailing just is not your thing (which I doubt, since you are already here as an Autopian and posting a very good question, rather than someone who is a lurker and just THINKING about how to detail).

I still use my older Porter-Cable Dual-Action (PC-DA) because I have a bunch of 4" pads for it. I like the smaller size because it is easy to control and gets into panel contours easily. However it lacks the muscle to correct sever scratches (sometimes called Random-Isolated Deep Scratches or RIDS) or very bad swirls on rock-hard ceramic clear coats (Like some European car manufacturers use) AND takes FOREVER to polish out a vehicle with a smaller sized pad.

That`s why I am in the same boat as you are: looking to "upgrade" to a better, larger, more efficient buffing machine.

One thing to stay away from is the cheaper orbital buffers with a bonnet like those at some auto supply stores or even Walmart. While better than doing correcting by hand, it`s just not going to give the "better" professional-looking results you are desiring.

Last suggestion is to go to a local detailing shop in your area and ask what they use for a buffing machine. Most of the places in my area use rotary buffers because of time constraints and how effective they are in the hands of a skilled operator. The "problem" is attaining that skill requires practice time & patience to learn the techniques of hand-eye coordination ability, physical strength, how fast to move the machine and when to use some pressure as you buff. No, it is not as easy as skilled operators make it look. Then again, PGA golfers make the game of golf look easy to weekend duffers as well!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

When I just wanna get something done without screwing around, FLEX 3401; little bit of a rough ride, especially with the 6.5/7" pads but it just goes and goes, no real worries about contours, transitions and stuff. Just keeps on spinning no matter how ya use it.

When I wanna take some time and enjoy getting things done, Rupes 15 Mk2. Smooth and silky but takes some time/practice to master to not stall in contoured areas.

Somewhere in the middle or for vehicles that have large, flat panels, GG BOSS21. 21mm with 6.5/7" pad really covers some ground with relative smoothness.

My experience anyway...YMMV

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for Boss 15 or Flex 15 w/5" BPs. I`d have a tough time choosing between the 2.
    The Boss is longer , easier to grip for long sessions. A dependable workhorse.
    Flex 15 is one of my favorites, quiet, smooth like a long ride on a summer Sunday.

I kick the power up on contours to lessen any stalling.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Bladegunner- Welcome to Autopia!

Much as I like my Flex 3401 for serious correction..

1) Non-Pros won`t be doing much of that
    2) It doesn`t finish out nicely enough for me
    3) Many others find it less than user-friendly

I recommend the Boss15.
    Likes Bladegunner, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

won`t find a better company that stands behind it`s products better than griot`s with the best warranty in the business. i`ve been using the gg6 for 10yrs now and really like it. if money`s not a problem, go with the boss polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ amazing company. Stands behind all products. Even has a team to teach you how to use their products for free at their store(not useful for most, awesome for me). Lifetime warranty with support behind it. I second a 15 mm long throw. You have a lot of flat surfaces so no smaller. I went with the boss 15 as I read their is a bigger learning curve (more stalling) with Rupes as I’m a noob too. Really can’t go wrong with any off your choices. If you do choose a flex get their free spinning 15mm model not the 3401. Lots of pads I went with one per panel. Probably overkill. I’d also recommending grabbing a 3” I’m debating flex or Adams as grad great reviews on both and have read of stalling complaints on griots and Rupes. It’ll help get those curves and tighter places. Also be great for a pillars on all those trucks. If money really no object a Ibrid Nano from Rupes might be useful around door handles and badges but I can’t get myself to spend 600 for one to be used twice a year. Actually if you get one can I borrow yours? Sorry another Newby which machine threadSorry another Newby which machine threadSorry another Newby which machine thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

With all of those trucks go with the BOSS 21 and enjoy the lifetime warranty.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Bladegunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Okay going to look at the BOSS 15. Thanks for all of your opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion, like always, is the Rupes 15. Made in the USA and serviced in the USA. From the YouTube videos I watch it seems to be their favorite tool. Great customer support. It’s more maneuverable than the 21. Buy some microfiber cutting pads and a bunch of Rupes yellow pads and you can get great results on most paints.

Welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Got the Boss 15 Kit in my cart just going to wait a day and try to get more opinions, Got extra pads I guess I need pad conditioner still.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    My suggestion, like always, is the Rupes 15. Made in the USA and serviced in the USA. From the YouTube videos I watch it seems to be their favorite tool. Great customer support. It’s more maneuverable than the 21. Buy some microfiber cutting pads and a bunch of Rupes yellow pads and you can get great results on most paints.

Welcome to the forum!
    I was really leaning towards a Rupes are they smoother running?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bladegunner View Post
    I was really leaning towards a Rupes are they smoother running?
    They are both very similar. You really can’t go wrong with either. The Rupes is a bigger name worldwide. They design and produce their products. I just really like Rupes products. Rupes building a factory in Colorado helps me pull for them. Maybe I can help keep a few jobs in the US.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bladegunner View Post
    Got the Boss 15 Kit in my cart just going to wait a day and try to get more opinions, Got extra pads I guess I need pad conditioner still.
    I dunno about pad conditioner. I used it when I first started but not much since then.

Guess its individual preference. Would be interested to hear others thoughts as ya never really see it being mentioned much.

Might be worth it to wait and see what sales pop up on the weekend. Although polishers and kits are rarely discounted, with the right sale you *may* be able to save some $$ if you`re buying many pads by buying the individual polisher and then the pads separately as they do qualify for discounts. Also the pad kits (6 pads) are less $$ are usually a bit of a deal as opposed to buying 6 individual pads.

Just gotta do the math to see.

Then again, sometimes ya just wanna buy something *now* in which case math is irrelevant. Sorry another Newby which machine thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information