Post Thanks / Like

HydroShed? More like HydroSelf-Destruct

I was polishing today. Had steady pressure on the panel and went to sit down in a chair behind me. The chair slid out from under, and the GG6 polisher came off the surface at speed 5.5. Check this out!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HydroShed? More like HydroSelf-Destruct

Woah! Never seen one do that!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    I was polishing today. Had steady pressure on the panel and went to sit down in a chair behind me. The chair slid out from under, and the GG6 polisher came off the surface at speed 5.5. Check this out!

Amigo !
    That is a Lake Country Cyan Hydro-Shred ???
    In all the years I have used them with my Makita, only the first few batches when they first came out earned the name I gave them..
    Since then, as long as I keep them a little moist and keep the speeds below 1,000rpm, they are fine..
    I still like to put a lot of downward pressure on them to help the correction and speed the process, but I have learned how to do just "so much" and then back off so they dont get too hot..
    I can, however, wear them down, to less than half their original thickness over a time..
    Was that pad getting really hot or something, or perhaps it was a bad one ??
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, full disclosure, this was a Cyan Hydro-Shed that I got from a trade here on Autopia (Bunky I think). It was used by him and me several times. It started to delaminate towards the center. With the product building up toward the center, it was just too much for the poor thing when it was free spun.

Still love them HydroTech pads.
    Likes Stokdgs, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Ok, full disclosure, this was a Cyan Hydro-Shed that I got from a trade here on Autopia (Bunky I think). It was used by him and me several times. It started to delaminate towards the center. With the product building up toward the center, it was just too much for the poor thing when it was free spun.

Still love them HydroTech pads.
    I love them too !!
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Ive definitely seen them pit and have chunks come out before, but nothing like that. They produce a great result, but I do wish the durability was a bit better with these.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

I am allowed one "unintelligent" (AKA stupid, but we do NOT say "stupid" in this forum, right??!!!) question per day, SO here it is:
    Are Hydro-Tech pads durability related to the type/manufacturer`s compound or polish that is being used?
    That is to say, does the manufacturer`s compound or polish unique abrasives and suspension chemicals or "Trade Secret Oils" (TSOs) play any part in the pads durability OR is it more a function the polishing machine type (Long-throw DA versus rotary) and the machine user`s motion mechanics (IE, how fast they move the pad on the panel and pressure being applied to the panel)??

By the way, to Wax Addict, I see that that the picture has what looks like Menzerna polishes in the background. Is that what was being used at the time of the foam disintegration??

In my opinion, heat generated by ANY type of machine and user-induced motion is the bane (AKA arch enemy or nemesis) of pad hook-&-loop (Velcro)-to-foam adhesive delamination, although with HydroTech pads, we are talking about the foam material itself. It is also the reason WHY pads should be changed out on a more-frequent basis. (Yes, I have delaminated fairly new 4" foam pads from over-use on a PC-DA, sorry to admit. Live-and-learn!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I am allowed one "unintelligent" (AKA stupid, but we do NOT say "stupid" in this forum, right??!!!) question per day, SO here it is:
    Are Hydro-Tech pads durability related to the type/manufacturer`s compound or polish that is being used?
    That is to say, does the manufacturer`s compound or polish unique abrasives and suspension chemicals or "Trade Secret Oils" (TSOs) play any part in the pads durability OR is it more a function the polishing machine type (Long-throw DA versus rotary) and the machine user`s motion mechanics (IE, how fast they move the pad on the panel and pressure being applied to the panel)??

By the way, to Wax Addict, I see that that the picture has what looks like Menzerna polishes in the background. Is that what was being used at the time of the foam disintegration??

In my opinion, heat generated by ANY type of machine and user-induced motion is the bane (AKA arch enemy or nemesis) of pad hook-&-loop (Velcro)-to-foam adhesive delamination, although with HydroTech pads, we are talking about the foam material itself. It is also the reason WHY pads should be changed out on a more-frequent basis. (Yes, I have delaminated fairly new 4" foam pads from over-use on a PC-DA, sorry to admit. Live-and-learn!)
    Hey, Lonnie !
    Hope all is good with you and yours !!!

I have used Lake Country Hydro-Shred pads since they first came out, (and re-named them , the first ones were good and then went bad with a lot of delamination issues..
    For awhile that Lake Country Rep, I can`t remember his name would monitor the Site and would offer to replace the pads, but then they went radio silent on the issue..

Fortunately, the issue became less of one, and all has been good for a long time, measured in years..
    I use a lot of Menzerna, Optimum, Sonax, and Meguiars correction products on Rotary Power and have found the balance between a lot of downward pressure, speed, and absolute needed moisture, and have actually worn the Cyan pads down to over half their original thickness and more, without any delamination issues..

This applies to the thicker versions they used to sell, before they cheaped out and went to much thinner versions, for reasons, I know not..

Im guessing they went to thinner versions so they would be easier to spin on random orbitals, which is definitely a plus !
    But as with all machines that move the pad forth and back, and in a circle, that is a lot more friction which will definitely make them get warmer faster..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

The kompressor pads were the worst. I had one I used exactly one time and it delaminated after I cleaned it.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I was using those two Menzerna products, 2500 and 3800.

I don`t blame the polishes, because I have also had a red HydroTech completely delaminate, fling itself out of the garage, and roll down the driveway and into the road. Hilarious. So this is two HydroTech pads to delaminate, but no CCS or plain flat LC pads have ever given issues whatsoever. But I`ll still use Hydrotech. Just change them out more frequently and watch the heat.

Thread Information