Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Too Good to Be True: A Variable-Stroke Polishing Machine?

I saw this new polishing machine posted under New Products on the website for Detailed Image (Sorry, no web link to the article due to forum rules! It would be removed by the administrator anyway): LC Power Tools UDOS 4 in 1 Random Orbit Polisher
    Here is their description:

"The LC Power Tools UDOS 4 in 1 Random Orbit Polisher allows you to use 4x different orbital stroke sizes, all in one awesome machine! You heard correct, you get four different types of motions from just one buffer. As a detailer you work with so many different cars, trucks, SUVs, etc. that have their own unique shapes and sizes. Long throw polishers are great as they specialize in quickly removing imperfections, but that long throw can make it tough to reach tight areas and polish around curves. LC Power Tools saw this issue and sought out to correct it. With the UDOS 4 in 1 Random Orbit Polisher, you can quickly and easily switch between 4x throw sizes (21mm, 15mm, 12mm, 8mm) on the fly. This not only helps you save valuable time while detailing, but allows you to detail a vehicle with one tool instead of multiple polishers. Save time and money with the UDOS! Below you will find more information on some of the best features of this unit:

• UDOS - Stands for User Defined Orbital Stroke. Easily switch from 8mm to 12mm, 15mm or 21mm.
    • Strong Cord - LC designed a rugged strain relief and the cord is fully integrated into the tool housing, not just an exit hole. The cord is also angled upwards so you can comfortably and easily throw it over your shoulder and out of the way when detailing.
    • Vibration Control & Balance - When polishing, excess vibration can lead to fatigue. LC Power Tools attacked this issue with internal drivetrain bumper mounts and external rubber grips.

This new tool is due to launch in Spring of 2019. We will be adding more info and specs to this page as soon as they are made available to us. We will also accept pre-orders as soon as the pricing is finalized by the manufacturer. "

Sounds too good to be true. Usually a do-it-all tool does nothing well, but until it gets in the hands of my fellow Autopians for their use and evaluation and then posted as a review, I will hold judgment. This MAY be the "Holy Grail" of polishing tools I`ve been waiting for.
    It does not state the power it has in Watts or if it can accept smaller backing plates.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Too Good to Be True: A Variable-Stroke Polishing Machine?

This tool has been talked about at AGO, it`s going to be introduced at SEMA next week. Mike Phillips has said he will be doing the first review on it (not sure when that will be). Also when this was talked about a couple months ago, it was unclear where it would be manufactured...as in it hadn`t been finalized yet, which made no sense to me, but whatever.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great idea in theory, hopefully they’ll have success with it in practice.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

When I heard about this my reaction was “meh”. I won’t be standing in line for one. I actually would have different machines for different sizes. I just don’t see why I would buy one.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw pictures, looks a little unruly to handle?

Post Thanks / Like

Is that the one that was around $650???

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to listen to this but Dave Patterson spoke to softly and I could not really pay attention.

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I say thank you to any innovative products. Whether they succeed or not it is better than old towels and re purposed woodworking tools.
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I tried to listen to this but Dave Patterson spoke to softly and I could not really pay attention.
    Ha ha ha...I started that and as I was balking at the hour and nine minutes they start up and say "today we`re doing a detox cast" and I thought they had all been on a bender until I realized it was de-talks-cast. I can`t listen to an hour and 9 minutes...I thought LC had a two-minute description of that machine somewhere, IIRC they have one or more patents on it...it does seem to be a solution in search of a problem (the variable stroke). I can`t even remember if this switches from forced to free-spin, or if it`s just the adjustable stroke...I think when they intro`d it a couple months ago they didn`t even know yet what the 4 strokes were going to be.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

On the Lake Country website, they have a video that explains it without all the whack-a-doo of these 4 guys, thank you..
    The machine switches throws, and only uses 5" and 6" pads..
    It will sit upside down and not tip over.
    It has rubber grips that are said to help with grip and vibration..
    A very powerful motor..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

This tool has been talked about at AGO, it`s going to be introduced at SEMA next week.
    Correct. If anyone is going to SEMA here`s my booth schedule, please stop by and say hi!

Tuesday, October 30th

7:30am Lake Country Video with Yancy
    8:00am FLEX Video with Yancy
    8:30am Gyeon Video with Yancy
    9:00am RaggTopp Video with Yancy
    10:30am till 3:00pm in FLEX Booth
    3:00pm to 5:00pm - visiting vendor booths

Wednesday, October 31st

8:00am Metro Video with Yancy
    8:30 am RUPES video with Yancy
    9:00 am Optimum Video with Yancy
    10:30 am till 1:30 RUPES Booth
    2:00 pm till 5:00 SONAX Booth

Thursday, November 1st

8:00am P&S/Buff & Shine Video with Yancy
    8:30 Gyeon Video
    9:00 -10:30 P&S Booth
    10:30am- 2:00 pm Lake Country Booth
    2:00 pm till 5:00 SONAX Booth

Mike Phillips has said he will be doing the first review on it (not sure when that will be).
    Lake Country did R&D work at all of my 2017 classes, both at Autogeek and my Roadshow classes. I`ve been told I`ll be the first to get their hands on the first production unit to test out and review.

Besides the tool itself, the key to it`s performance will be in the pads.

Also when this was talked about a couple months ago, it was unclear where it would be manufactured...as in it hadn`t been finalized yet, which made no sense to me, but whatever.
    If I hear anything new about where it will be manufactured at SEMA next week I`ll be sure to share this info.

Mike Phillips
    Host - Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    Competition Ready Facebook Page
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

Click on a book to get your own copy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    If I hear anything new about where it will be manufactured at SEMA next week I`ll be sure to share this info.
    Not a big deal to me (since I presume it won`t be domestic manufacture); I just thought it was odd that they are 6 or 7 months away from selling them (I think that`s right) and they haven`t selected a manufacturing partner yet, or if they have, that partner hasn`t decided what country the plant will be in.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike Phillips !
    I will be at SEMA, Wednesday and Thursday.
    I know its a huge venue - but I will try to find you one of those days..
    Thank you for posting your schedule..
    Dan F. (Stokdgs)

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha ha...I started that and as I was balking at the hour and nine minutes they start up and say "today we`re doing a detox cast" and I thought they had all been on a bender until I realized it was de-talks-cast. I can`t listen to an hour and 9 minutes...I thought LC had a two-minute description of that machine somewhere, IIRC they have one or more patents on it...it does seem to be a solution in search of a problem (the variable stroke). I can`t even remember if this switches from forced to free-spin, or if it`s just the adjustable stroke...I think when they intro`d it a couple months ago they didn`t even know yet what the 4 strokes were going to be.
    Lol. The only reason I posted this video is due to Dave Patterson actually showing how to change the orbit size of the tool. I don`t recall how far into the video. I could barely hear it and just stopped viewing. It is a DA and not forced rotation. I read one comment on the video of it being battery powered but I can not confirm that as I did not finish the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    On the Lake Country website, they have a video that explains it without all the whack-a-doo of these 4 guys, thank you..
    Lol
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

It reminds me of the old shopsmith tool . Great in theory, even when easy to change around the tool. It just isn`t the same as having each separate tool. I personally wouldn`t find it convenient.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information